gained 2 pounds

Options
ok here's the back story I'm a big girl at about 340 lbs, i started losing weight 2.5 weeks ago the first week awesome 9 pounds gone, the 2nd week i gained two pounds what the &^*$. i was so discouraged that i stopped. i don't get it. i worked out 2-4 times each week and stayed between 1200-1400 calories some days even higher. what am i doing wrong? any thoughts or advice to put my mind at ease. thanks

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily 1-5 pounds. I weigh 268, but it goes up to 271 almost every other day. Water retention causes this, do not worry about it.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to see good results.. stick to it.. you didn't get overweight in two weeks so don't be so hard on yourself.. Just keep up the eating right and exercising and IT WILL HAPPEN..

Please don't be so harsh on yourself..
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't stop! Keep pushing, you will see results eventually. It wont happen overnight...or in 2 weeks, it takes time. But in the long run its well worth it!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 7000 extra calorie in that second week? No? Thought not. Well you didn't gain 2 pounds of fat then. If you eating at a deficit you won't be gaining any real weight. It will be water weight or maybe you weighed a different time of day, maybe the surface you weighed on wasn't flat, maybe your scales are playing up, there's any number of things but it won't be fat.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You lost 9 pounds the first week, and you're concerned about 1-2 pounds of weight gain from the second week??? I mean, realistically losing 9 pounds in one week is a LOT of weight to lose in one week...I wouldn't be too concerned when it goes back up 2 pounds, it's most likely water weight.

It takes something like 3500 calories to gain/lose a pound of fat -- if you're staying on-track and the general direction of your weight is down, then stay positive and on-track and you'll continue to see weight loss.

Also, 1200-1400 calories may not be enough calories, especially since you're also exercising. I would calculate my TDEE and then take off 20% of that and you should start losing more weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yeah, weight fluctuates. drink 16 oz of water you'll gain 1 lb.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I see you have another post from a few months ago about being frustrated with gaining and losing and all that stuff. This is going to be a slow process and you have a lot to lose, it is NOT going to go away overnight and if it goes away rapidly, it'll come back just as fast. Don't beat yourself up over it, you can only do your best. You yourself will know if you're trying or not and if you are, results will come but in time. I also don't know your stats or anything but I would say 1200-1400 at your weight is probably not enough calories. You should check out your BMR/TDEE to get a better number and a good deficit for you. Don't give up! Just breathe, it is going to take time!
  • AlysiaMM
    Options
    hey my name is Alysia and I am also on the bigger side. I think maybe eat healthier foods or smaller portions. You should when you workout dont just always do the same thing because after a while your body gets use to it. Make sure that you are always increasing the itensity and changing the workouts that you do. Another thing is make sure that you are geting enough sleep and that your body has time to rest. The last thing that you should always do is stay positive and surround yourself with positivity. When you gain dont look down on yourself. look in the mirror and tell yourself I am going to reach this goal. It is also proven when you write down a goal it is more likely that you will succed. So maybe write it in your with a dry erase marker mirror along with other things you like about yourself. Make sure you stay positive gaining 2 pounds is just a minor bump dont give up and you will succeed. =]
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your initial 9-lb weight loss was 70+% water. You probably were actually a little more dehydrated than you needed to be, and your body took back 2 lbs of water, or you just had a bit more sodium and you're retaining water from that. 2 lbs of water is 32oz- not much spread out over your whole body. Another possibility is if you've recently switched your diet to include more high fiber food, one of the jobs of fiber is to increase the bulk in your digestive system- literally makes the waste moving through heavier with water and more bulky- that could account for some of the weight.

You still lost 7lbs in 2 weeks, which is pretty awesome.
  • snowlily80
    snowlily80 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Water weight is so so tricky and it will definitely mess with your scale. Stay on track.. regardless of what the scale is showing. So you gained 2 lbs? I can gain 2 - 5 lbs in a matter of hours, but I know thats just my body's fluctuations throughout the day. Can't let that intimidate you.

The way I see it is: you lost 9 lbs first week, gained 2 the second week = therefore, you lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. which is insanely awesome! Try to look at the bigger picture.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also started out here at 340 a month ago and I understand your frustration; I think anyone our size would expect more movement on the scale. (This isn't in anyway short-changing the 9lbs, but I just want you to know your feelings are completely valid). I agree that it could be exercise-related, as others have mentioned--but still...it's normal to wonder. I weigh myself daily and after a good workout, I go up about 4lbs and I know it isn't fat. Perhaps you just keep weighing yourself on those higher post-workout days? If so, it will eventually even out and the loss will be visible. I'd also recommend taking measurements if you haven't; I've seen a lot of movement there and that always helps.

You said you eat 1200-1400 and some days even higher. I can't see your diary, but I find that setting a certain intake and sticking exactly to that helps me. I also spent the first few weeks adjusting macros (carbs, protein, fat) until I felt completely satisfied. That might be an option.

Please friend me if you like; always looking for friends on a similar journey (my diary is open to friends)!
  • lovesbikes
    lovesbikes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ^ this.
    7 pounds in 2 weeks is awesome.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Women can gain anything even 7 lb during certain times of the month especially before their menses. So keep at it....if you don't you will either stay as you are or gain weight.
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Don't worry at all..... Except do worry about quitting over this!! There was a guy on a forum who posted his weight each day for a week and one day it went up 4 pounds!!! Every other day it was a different weight. Crazy stuff to deal with for those of us who freak out when the scale goes up!! I actually weighed myself one night and I had gained 3 pounds. Then I weighed myself again the next day and I had lost 4.......so, you see, its not really so important what the scale says about you. What is important is that you get back on here and log your food and don't give up.
    What is the alternative? Go back out and eat and keep the weight?
    Keep it or lose it?
    Stay here and you will lose it!!
    Visit the Success Stories forum immediately and then daily .

So glad you came to the forums for help!! I will be here for a few years at least, so I hope to see you around!
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, cutie. Weight fluctuates all the time in maybe 2-7 pound ranges. Don't quit I've been doing this for over a year now. Hell, I am going to have to for the rest of my life and I plan to be around for a long time.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It's normal to fluctuate a lot day to day. A week ago I was 90.2 kg then next day I was 91kg I stayed up there for about 3 day then 2 days ago I dropped 1 kilo over 2 days. It just happens. Don't give up.
  • therayeraye
    therayeraye Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh yourself everyday and then take the average for the week or just weigh in once a week?

Like everyone said there is a ton of variation so I hope you don't get discouraged. Keep at it you can do it!
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You weigh 340lb and are trying to diet on 1200 - 1400 calories per day?
    My wife weighed 132 lb and lost 18lb dieting on 1,200 calories per day. My SW was 209 lb and I started with a calorie restriction of 1,600 calories per day. At 340lb I would think you should be eating a lot more than 1,400 calories per day - unless you are bed bound.
    Can I suggest you try working out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and reducing your calorie intake to 75% - 80% of that? I can't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if your calculation (TDEE - 20%) is around 2,000 calories per day or even higher depending on how active you are.
    p.s. Whatever you do, don't give up. Patience and persistence is the key. Don't let the bad day(s) knock you around.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My wife weighed 132 lb and lost 18lb dieting on 1,200 calories per day. My SW was 209 lb and I started with a calorie restriction of 1,600 calories per day. At 340lb I would think you should be eating a lot more than 1,400 calories per day - unless you are bed bound.
    Can I suggest you try working out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and reducing your calorie intake to 75% - 80% of that? I can't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if your calculation (TDEE - 20%) is around 2,000 calories per day or even higher depending on how active you are.
    p.s. Whatever you do, don't give up. Patience and persistence is the key. Don't let the bad day(s) knock you around.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm sure the overall nature of your comment was well-intended. That said, I eat 1200 calories a day at 340lbs (well, now 320lbs). I have written about why it is doctor recommended for me and such before, so I'm not going to get into the specifics here, but...1200 is not that out of the ordinary for the morbidly obese because a 10% loss can truly be a matter of life and death, so doctors will try to move the fat off quickly (and we really can drop actual fat much more quickly, initially, than one would expect). Furthermore, such as is the case with me, she may have a metabolic or thyroid disorder and have good reason for her caloric intake being set where it is. I think it's nice of you to suggest the TDEE-20% as an option, but I don't think it's ever proper to say "you SHOULD be eating X-number of calories" when you do not have all of the information. To the OP, if you're at 1200-1400 because of a doctor recommendation, keep up the good work and hang in there. If you chose 1200 because that is what MFP automatically gave you, then do consider the TDEE-20% and speaking with a dietician or well-trained nutritionist.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Let me preface this by saying that I'm sure the overall nature of your comment was well-intended. That said, I eat 1200 calories a day at 340lbs (well, now 320lbs). I have written about why it is doctor recommended for me and such before, so I'm not going to get into the specifics here, but...1200 is not that out of the ordinary for the morbidly obese because a 10% loss can truly be a matter of life and death, so doctors will try to move the fat off quickly (and we really can drop actual fat much more quickly, initially, than one would expect). Furthermore, such as is the case with me, she may have a metabolic or thyroid disorder and have good reason for her caloric intake being set where it is. I think it's nice of you to suggest the TDEE-20% as an option, but I don't think it's ever proper to say "you SHOULD be eating X-number of calories" when you do not have all of the information. To the OP, if you're at 1200-1400 because of a doctor recommendation, keep up the good work and hang in there. If you chose 1200 because that is what MFP automatically gave you, then do consider the TDEE-20% and speaking with a dietician or well-trained nutritionist.

I actually agree with all of this, and I am not, in general, a fan of low-calorie dieting. Morbidly obese individuals can afford a higher calorie deficit than people with lower-category obesity, and hopefully the extreme deficit is only for a short time at the beginning of their weight loss and the longer term plan is to move to more calories. Hopefully a qualified professional is reviewing her plan and taking in to consideration all of the things we don't know about from this post (medical history, daily activity, dieting history, etc). Another issue is that the farther away from the norm a person is, the less accurate TDEE prediction methods become- for example a person who is morbidly obese probably moves less during the day than a person with 50 lbs to lose. Anyway, the whole picture needs to be looked at to determine one's needs, especially when they are facing immediate health risks.