cook book or websites for recipes?

Options
Hi all,
I'm working really hard to get healthy and trying to be creative with what i cook. However, there's only so much I can eat lettuce. Any suggestions of websites or cook books? I need some insperation!

Replies

• farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Nurish is a great cookbook. It is healthy and provides the stats for all the recipes in the book.
  • DARDEBVER
    DARDEBVER Posts: 3
    Options
    I use a book called 100 Best Health Foods, has some really good low cal meals in it. Have not gotten bored with it yet..It is part of the love food series. I found a link to one site that you can buy it from...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/100-Best-Health-Foods/Staff-of-Love-Food/e/9781407564456/

Copy and paste the link..

Good luck
  • lovetodance
    lovetodance Posts: 33
    Options
    sparkpeople.com has some great recipes for healthy and/or low calorie eating!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    All recipes have some great recipes and all the nutritional information, love that site. Also cooking light, they have a monthly magazine, a web site and a great cookbook.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love allrecipes.com ...

Tons of reviews on all the recipes, and just a huge database of it ... You can join for free as well and you have a little recipe box :D
    Love it!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use allrecipes.com. Many of the recipes have nutritional information.
  • annlhughes
    annlhughes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of hungrygirl.com and the cook yourself thin cookbook.
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    Try picking up a copy of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking. Great low cal recipes!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I personally like Cooking Light cook books and allrecipes online.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    This looks like a good topic!

I've used "Seven Ingredients or Less Cooking Light" before and it had some pretty great ideas. I've never concidered myself a picky eater so there was a lot to choose from. AND all of the nutrition facts are right there in the book, including sample menus for the day! AND if you're simple like me, only seven ingredients on a grocery list makes shopping fun!
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For some GREAT vegetarian or vegan options....(even if you're not, it's always great to get more veggies in your system!)

Try www.happyherbivore.com and vegweb.com
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    You might like to read up about "substitutions", etc. which you can use to make some of your old favorite recipes in a low or lower cal version.

For instance: I've always loved the bread pudding recipe that my mother made but it's high in calories, so I made a lower calorie version using 35 calorie wheat bread, apples and craisins for sweetness, egg whites, and skim milk. It was delicious and much, much, much lower in calories than the original.

One site that lists substitutions to be aware of is: http://lowcaloriecooking.about.com/od/lowcaloriebasics/tp/LowCalorieSubstitutions.htm
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Eatbetteramerica.com is a great website with more "healthified" recipes
  • bamyates
    bamyates Posts: 1
    Options
    I heard the "Biggest Loser" cookbook was good. I just ordered it online and can't wait for it to arrive. I need some new ideas!