Waking up STARVING - best snacks for night?

Options
Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is a 'good' snack I can have before bed that will keep me full all night?

I've literally woken up in the night with my belly rumbling, and in the morning I'm so hungry it hurts! I'm eating all my calories for the day, I'm at the recommended intake of 1400 to lose weight.

I do have my tea early, around 5, then usually have an activia yoghurt and a health bar. I'm trying not to eat after 8pm though.

Any help appreciated!

Nichole x

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Well, on that calorie limit I can't personally comment, but own system is to have a protein milkshake made from Casein protein, literally less than an hour before I go to bed. It's a slow-digesting protein, so it's good for you and tastes of whatever flavour you like to order. Just mix with milk and have a nice milkshake before bed. :) Keeps me full through the whole night.

Of course, as I said, I'm not sure on your own calorie allowance for the snack you'd like to have, but mine comes out at 282 calories, with the milk included.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying not to eat after 8pm? That might be your problem. Is there any way you could save up calories for a small bedtime snack?
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

This is just my opinion , but if you are waking up hungry then maybe you are not eating enough, what time do you go sleep?

I am also on 1400, I fill up my meals with veggies and protein and complex carbs too.
    Protein lasts longer, keeps you full for longer, A herbalife shake could work too, comes in at 180 cal.

Maybe change your health bar for a protein bar?
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Are you doing 1,400 Net or total? If you eat 1,400 and burn 500 you need to eat that back to help prevent this. If your netting 1,400 try saving some calories for a little before you go to bed. Drink milk or a protein shake before sleeping. No carbs like fruit, rice or bread. Just some random advice I have collected.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that can't go to sleep hungry, so I plan my day accordingly. However if I'm in PJs getting into bed & still want to munch on something (like I am right now actually) there's quite a few options I have that are all under 140 calories:

Some of my go-tos: hard boiled egg (70cals), yogurt (<140cals), fiber bar (140 cals), toast (120 cals), apple cinnamon rice cake (50 cals each), handful of nuts or dried fruit (< 120 cals).

Right now I'm making tea & debating between either yogurt or a scoop of peanut butter. :smile:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u can eat during your sleep and you wont gain weight if u in a calorie deficit :) - just an example . meal timing means nothing .

i also wake up with extreme hunger that cant be explained lol
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is a 'good' snack I can have before bed that will keep me full all night?

I've literally woken up in the night with my belly rumbling, and in the morning I'm so hungry it hurts! I'm eating all my calories for the day, I'm at the recommended intake of 1400 to lose weight.

I do have my tea early, around 5, then usually have an activia yoghurt and a health bar. I'm trying not to eat after 8pm though.

Any help appreciated!

Nichole x

Why are you trying not to eat after 8pm? It doesn't matter what time of day you eat.

For an evening snack I'll sometimes have a pot of cottage cheese. It's high in slow releasing protein should keep you satiated through the night.
  • dellaj5
    Options
    My favs are an Apple w/ all natural Peanut Butter (only 2 tbls), or Kale Chips!!!! Take Kale, sprinkle it lightly with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, salt lightly with Sea Salt, and stick in the oven on 350 until they get a little crispy. Delicious and very few Calories.

Hello all,

Any help appreciated!

Nichole x
    [/quote]
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would have some cheese. Calcium will relax you and the fat will fill you up. Just don't have a lot.
    Don't have any sugar or carbs.
    Failing that have some milk or a yogurt - full fat.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you are trying not to eat after 8pm then why are you asking for a bedtime snack?

Anyway...small handful fo almonds and a glass of water. Job done.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Does eating late keep you up or mess with your digestive system? If not, start saving some calories for a late night snack. One of the most filling things I eat is 1/4 cup of oatmeal with 1tbsp of milled flax seeds and a scoop of protein powder. The calorie count will vary depending on what protein powder you use but mine comes out to 160 calories, 175 if I add 2tsp of PB2 for flavor. It has complex carbs from the oats, omega 3's and fiber from the flax, and obviously protein from the powder so it's super filling. Try eating it like an hour before you go to bed.
  • Loved1s
    Loved1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try cinnamon tea just before bed and I bulk up my meals with Kale throughout the day (low cal/SUPER filling). Also, look out for HFCS in the foods you're eating... Causes craving for MORE!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, it makes no sense 2 suggest a snack, w/o knowing what u have been eating on a typical day.

So unless the comments above are from your friends who have read your food diary.....well you know the rest, good luck though with reaching your goal weight!
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Brush ur teeth be4 goin to bed suppress the hunger
  • FitnessGal1983
    Options
    I do low carb so I always keep a stash of protein for snacking in the fridge. Boiled eggs, grilled chicken strips, tuna salad or even canned protein shakes. HTH
  • qwertymh
    Options
    What I find best to do throughout the day or in the evening to curb hunger is to have a hot drink. I often have sugar free juice with hot water or hot water with a slice of lemon in, relaxes you for sleep but also fills you up. Don't drink too much or you will be up for the toilet too much in the night :)
  • nichole_pickle
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you to those who had super helpful comments!

The post-8pm thing - before starting on this healthy eating kick I found that this was the time of day I really craved sweet things and crisps, and I just thought since it was the most sedentiary time of day it would be doing me no good eating late at night when I would be laying on my back for the next 7 hours lol! Am I wrong? I'm happy to be wrong lol!

So my shopping list this week will definately include cottage cheese, apples, peanut butter, eggs and protein shakes. Basically stay away from sugar - good to know peeps! Thank you so much, I am new to this and appreciate the support :)

Nichole
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The tips that I have heard said don't eat or drink past 7 pm at night, or it will show up on the scale the next day, and don't eat or drink before 6 am in the morning... It sounds extreme but I've been trying to follow it.
    My suggestion for the morning is to drink 16 oz. of water FIRST and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, then go ahead and eat. A lot of the time, people mistake hunger for thirst. However if you must, the best snack would definitely be a fruit or veggie. When it's late at night and you're having cravings, reach for the fruit/veggies, not the junk! :)
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Protein !! This type of food keeps you feeling fuller longer. Try some string cheese, soy nuts, hard boiled egg, small egg white omlet or some greek yogurt. It's not too heavy for a late night snack. You may want to evaluate your dinner choices to ensure you are eating enough protein for dinner. Foods like lean meats, beans. You can google a list of foods that would be ideal.
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The tips that I have heard said don't eat or drink past 7 pm at night, or it will show up on the scale the next day, and don't eat or drink before 6 am in the morning... It sounds extreme but I've been trying to follow it.
    My suggestion for the morning is to drink 16 oz. of water FIRST and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, then go ahead and eat. A lot of the time, people mistake hunger for thirst. However if you must, the best snack would definitely be a fruit or veggie. When it's late at night and you're having cravings, reach for the fruit/veggies, not the junk! :)

Makes no difference when you eat. WIll not store in your body any differently.