First Month of MFP - 12lbs lost.

Options
Hello everyone!

I don't post often to the forums, though I do browse threads and lurk. I thought I'd post this here because...well I like to be motivated, and sometimes its hard to talk about weight loss with your real life friends.

My boyfriend and I started MFP January 2, having tried Atkins in the past and failing horribly (I love me some carbs!) and in that month he has lost 15lbs and I have lost 12. I know 12 isn't a lot for a girl my weight, and that this is just the start of what needs to be a life long diet change. But I love seeing success stories, especially ones accompanied by pictures. Hopefully I will be one of those success stories by this time next year.

My boyfriend and I also started going to the gym Sunday, and plan on going again tonight. I HATE the gym. HATE HATE HATE. Mostly because I'm self conscious - feel like everyone in there is laughing at me silently going, " Hah, lookit the fattie panting on the bike", while my fat jiggles. But....it's not about them or what they think. It's about making a change. And if I can do this....then maybe I can help inspire other people to do it too.

Thanks for listening :)

Replies

• 24redwine
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. Go to the gym, wear spandex, jog in the street, whatever! Don't let your mind mess with you. The people at the gym are not paying much attention to you -- we are all in our own heads. Even if someone noticed or had thoughts -- maybe some of them are positive, like "good for her, she's getting healthy." Even if someone judged your size or jiggle, let 'em look! It cannot hurt you. What CAN hurt you is unhealthy living. Plow through those negative thoughts. My sister taught me a great phrasse..."So what if ____". Just fill in the blank whatever works. So what if my fat jiggles at the gym. So what if my bra strap is showing. So what if they see me sweat. So what if....etc. Don't let your assumptions about negative thoughts you THINK others are thinking derail you. It's just negative mind chatter. Stay strong, and be well.
  • laney4818
    laney4818 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    12 lbs in a month is fantastic!!!!!! You're doing great!!!

ps. people at the gym are probably inspired by you....
  • Faded_Memories
    Options
    Thank you guys, for your words of encouragement. I didn't make it to the gym last night as it was pretty cold and sleeting. I felt terribly guilty about not going...I even had a little minor breakdown about it, but I expect my hormones are all up and about due to diet and that time of the month and just general mental insecurities. I'm feeling much better today, and will go to the gym Friday. :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Your first month and 12lbs! Wow, wow and - wow! Well done, you must be feeling better for it, lighter, springier!

Keep it up!

Carl
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well done!! :D I agree with all the other posters.. try not to care about what the others think of you!

I've recently started going in the free weights room (aka meat-cave!) and was so scared at first (in 4 weeks I am the ONLY woman I've seen in there!).. decided to get chatting to a few of the guys in there and turns out they were all very self conscious at the start too!

To be honest other people in the gym are probably more concerned with what everyone else is thinking about THEM to actually be "judging" you.. keep up the good work :) xx