Crav Maga

Options
I'm thinking of doing Crav Maga. I have never done martial arts before, but my level of fitness is pretty good. Other then learning self defense techniques, does it give you a good workout? Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've never trained Krav Maga but I can tell you that it SHOULD be a good workout. Krav is all about defense through offense. In other words the theory behind KM is to attack relentlessly without backing off until your opponent is unable to continue to threaten you. It is highly aggressive and very fast paced.

Another very popular MA workout is to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but it is much lower intensity at training speed than KM. Whatever you do train hard.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Learn how to take a shot then. Actual combat will include getting hit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I did Krav Maga for a couple of months. I found it not a majorly intense workout as it was about learning the techniques - breaking down all the moves and practicing them - I was quite slow to pick it up so it took me ages to learn the moves! Maybe someone quicker on the uptake could get more intensity going quicker than I did! So my personal opinion is brilliant self defence, not so brilliant as a workout.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I did Krav Maga for a couple of months. I found it not a majorly intense workout as it was about learning the techniques - breaking down all the moves and practicing them - I was quite slow to pick it up so it took me ages to learn the moves! Maybe someone quicker on the uptake could get more intensity going quicker than I did! So my personal opinion is brilliant self defence, not so brilliant as a workout.

Pretty much this: Krav Maga is very similar to aikido in that it is a "functional" self defense art that does not place high emphasis on physical fitness. The selection of moves involved were designed so that even out of shape people could functionally use it. If you want something that's actually a good WORKOUT, do Muay Thai or BJJ Instead.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I train in Krav Maga and the level of workout you get depends on the class and the instructor.

Some classes I don't break a sweat (generally more technical sessions) others I feel like I'm going to die by the end of the warm-up!

I did a few sessions with a HRM on and got an average calorie burn of about 550 cal/hr (which is what a local gym advertises their Body Combat class as burning).

You probably will get a better workout with Muay Thai or BJJ, but with a good instructor Krav Maga is a much more complete self defence package (my background is Kuk Sool Won, Judo and Ju Jitsu when I was younger).

Krav Maga teaches much more that self defence techniques, a good instructor will aim to instil a survival mind-set, tactical and situational awareness. At my grading, the visiting Israeli instructor basically said if you get as far as actually using any of these techniques - something has gone wrong as you have let your attacker get close enough to be a threat instead of recognising and preventing a potentially hostile situation.

If you decide to train in Krav Maga, make sure you get a club affiliated to one of the major Israeli organisations (I'm with an IKMF club) as there are a lot of bogus classes out there using the Krav name.

Our club/school has a youtube channel with some good videos on, http:www.youtube.com/monsterandsons

Hope this is of some use

Dom
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    Thank you for your input. All take everything under consideration. :D
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I train in Krav Maga and the level of workout you get depends on the class and the instructor.
    ^ 100,000,000x this.

All martial arts styles are effective, what matters is the quality of the instruction and how well it aligns with your needs.

[ soapbox ]
    I would strongly suggest you reconsider looking for a specific style to learn unless you already have past experience. It's not to say that KM is bad (it isn't), but there are bad instructors in all styles. What you should be looking for is a martial arts school that fits your needs.

I intensely disagree with the idea that certain styles are more functional while others are more conditioning oriented. I'm a black belt in Judo and an ik kyu (3rd degree brown) in Isshin Ryu Karate, I learned more about self defense in Judo (the 'sport' martial art) than I have in karate and I've gotten FAR better grappling experience at my karate dojo (the 'striking' martial art) than I ever did in Judo. It's all about who's teaching you. The style they show you, especially if you stick with it for an extended period of time, really doesn't matter.

There are a few primary components to any martial arts style: self defense, sport (if you want to compete in tournaments), physical conditioning, and history/lineage/culture. Figure out what you want to gain from learning martial arts and find a school--of ANY style--that meets those needs. I think you'll find yourself far more satisfied than if you go to a school simply because you heard that style was best.
    [ /soapbox ]
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We did some Krav Maga stuff when I was training in Muay Thai. Its brutal, youll love it!

+1 on the good instructor though.

Good Luck,
    JU
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I <3 Krav Maga. Some classes are more intensive than others based on what techniques you are going over. However, the calorie count I found for my height and weight for a 1.5 hour class was over 800 calories, and I find that to be accurate on average since I eat all my exercise calories back and still lose.

My instructor is one of the most highly ranked in Israel, and a typical class for us is a 5-10 minute warm-up, 5-10 minutes of stretches, an hour of fighting skills, and then 15 minutes of fitness. However, the fighting skills portion can also be very cardio-intense, especially when we are working on speed. For example, my muscles are still sore from 30 minutes of working on dodging punches on Sunday.

But, yeah, it's important to find an instructor who is affiliated and accredited by a real KM organization. Injuries are entirely possible in any martial art, and you want someone who knows a) how to keep you safe and b) how to react to any injuries that do occur.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    It's important to find an instructor who is affiliated and accredited by a real KM organization

I can't speak to KM, but I know my father trained BJJ under Reyson Gracie growing up. That's because he learned...in Manaus. The school was fantastic and my old man's over 50 now but can still kick my a**. Thing is, nowadays 'Gracie schools' are something you can get if you have the coin for it, and plenty of people fabricate links to the Gracies to attract more business to their dojo. Looking for accreditation is a good thing, but you should also try out some classes before making any kind of commitment. Training under a nobody who can teach you well is far better than training under some guy who knows all the right people but sucks.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thinking about taking it up as well. Was attacked randomly a few years ago by someone close to me. Hated the 'deer in headlights' feeling.
  • dlegros
    Options
    Thinking about taking it up as well. Was attacked randomly a few years ago by someone close to me. Hated the 'deer in headlights' feeling.

There are drills in Krav that aim to help with this, but you never really know how you'll react until crunch time.

For an insight into it it's well worth reading Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    There are drills in Krav that aim to help with this, but you never really know how you'll react until crunch time.

For an insight into it it's well worth reading Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller.

I liked A FIghter's Mind for that.
  • dlegros
    Options

By Sam Sheridan? I'll have to check it out - thanks.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

By Sam Sheridan? I'll have to check it out - thanks.

Yup, I enjoyed it and Fighter's Heart a lot. Bit of a modern slant on the psychology of combat. I have to read older texts because of my dojo, his stuff was a good change of pace.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Not remotely martial arts related but since we've gotten off into tactical mindset reading; Grossman's "On Killing" and "On combat" are also highly recommended reading for helping to reinforce the warrior's mindset.

If you ever get the chance to see Lt Col Dave Grossman give his "bulletproof mind" presentation take it. He's a great presenter and a gracious and humble man.
  • kravmark2
    kravmark2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love Krav too !

Mark