Vegetarians/Vegans

Options
124»

Replies

• irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian 10 years(wow time goes fast)
    Reason why- I love animals
    If you are going to do it do it for your own reasons but do it right :)
    No point saying I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken..fish etc
    It's funny after a while you open the fridge and meat doesn't even register as "food" anymore.

Good luck :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    lol those people - I am a vegetarian but I eat meat! *SLAP*
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I would not be too concerned about gluten unless you are celiac or intolerant. The trouble is that most people don't know that they are celiac. You can have no symptoms and still be causing damage to your system.
    I'm cooking more vegan recipes lately just so I can cook vegan when my bro in law comes to visit. It is a blast for me to try to come up with faux meat. I just tried vegan crab cakes and now I made some seitan. The seitan was the best and most versitle meat replacement I've found, but it's gluten. What's the deal with gluten? Is it all out bad for you or is it just some people have problems with it? Wow.. I made some fake anchovies with it today and put it in a ceasar salad and it was great! Oooops... I did detract from the veganism by using fish sauce but it was good. I know hard core vegans usually don't think about meat substitutes per se...but I'd love to hear your experiences with tofu, tempeh, seitan..etc...
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I went Vegan for 2 months and got horribly sick. Found out I was slightly allergic to Soy. Guess its A+ for effort and F for genetics.

There is absolutely NO need for soy, and that isn't an excuse for failing the diet. If you need help from a former hardcore meat eater, let me know!
  • marise29
    Options
    Love it! Feel exactly the same!
  • brookelynhoneycutt
    Options
    I realize that the B-12 in meat is directly related to the diet of the animal. I was just saying that before I knew how to properly balance my diet, I had issues with it.
  • Linzbit
    Linzbit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I went to vegan a few months ago, with a slight difference, I eat fish and egg whites. I suffer from ms and the diet has been designed to help with the symptoms. I feel so much healthier, and I look healthier too. My skin is glowing!

If you eat fish and egg whites you are *not* vegan, or even vegetarian. You are welcome to adopt whatever style of eating works for you and your heatlh, but please don't confuse people by telling them that you are vegan if you consume animal products (eggs) and animal flesh (fish). There is enough confusion out there about what it means to be vegetarian or vegan without people spreading misinformation.

For the OP: I am a vegetarian (no animal flesh of any kind) and my diet is 99.9% vegan. For me this is an ethical issue. I don't like the idea of turning animals into commodities, which is what happens on farms, because even loving, well intentioned farmers have to make a living. The production of animal foods is also exceptionally hard on the environment. My husband is currently trying a vegan diet to see if it will improve some long-standing health issues for him (chronic congestion, and skin problems), so far, it is going well for him, so we may be on our way to a close to vegan household (well, except for the cats).

Edited to fix a grammatical issue.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, but I did state that the diet has been designed for people with MS. Other than the two items listed (which I rarely eat) I eat a plant based diet, which includes no processed foods at all. I therefore felt that I can comment on the health benefits.