Hummus

Options
13»

Replies

• MamaWeil2018
    MamaWeil2018 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping too, love hummus and need to try some of these yummy looking recipes!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    As well as the red "fat" label, you need to see how much of that is from staurated fat (that's the bad stuff)<snip>

Apart from the saturated fat that is the good stuff. :)

It exists, don't just take my word for it ;)

Hummus as close to 'natural' is welcome here ... All day, every day ... love it, makes a decent homemade pizza base too ...
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love spicey hummus on hard boiled eggs. Scoop out the yolk and add a smidgeon of hummus in it's place. Good stuff!
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    Options
    Bumpin' to show some hummus love. :love:
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had hummus for my lunch it was yummy scrummy in my tummy!
  • sjmitchner
    sjmitchner Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Tahini is also easy to make. Lightly toast sesame(benne) seeds then blend in food processor. Add a little olive oil if it is too dry (should look a bit like peanut butter)
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    The fat comes from beans and seeds (sesame and chickpeas to be exact) and olive oil, those are sorta "good" kinds of fats, as fats go, and you do need some in your diet. :) I always consider the stuff I make myself at home to be healthier than the store bought ones though...

you make your own? is that a recipe i can find online or do u mind sharing yours? :)

I lower the calories when I make it by skipping or at least cutting the amount of olive oil. I will make a full batch - and I only use about 1 TBSP of olive oil (or sesame oil to mimic the tanini), and the rest water or stock to thin it to the right consistency. I have even heard of people using greek yogurt instead of oil.
    It can be really simple to make - rinse a can of chickpeas - toss in a food processor. Add water, garlic, lemon, pepper, a touch of cumin, and a sprinkle of paprika. Blitz until smooth. I do recommend leaving it in the fridge over night. The flavors will be much better. :)
  • stephaniebreaux18
    Options
    Well, hummus is a source of protein and it is definitely healthier than beef! :p
    I like to make hummus pita wraps with whole grain pita bread and lots and lots of veggies. Probably one of the healthiest lunches around!

I do recommend making your own hummus... much healthier than store bought, since you can control what goes in!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great recipes!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My favorite hummus recipe is the one recently posted on the Smitten Kitchen blog:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/

According to my calculations 1/4 cup of it has 192 calories, 15g carbs, 12g fat, 7g protein

You can reduce the tahini if you're concerned about fat, but it makes it so much better. However, I personally would not pour as much olive oil on top as she does. :)

BTW I'm ALWAYS over on fat for the day, but when I look at where it's coming form it's usually from nuts, eggs, olive oil, and avocado so I don't think that's a problem.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    its chickpeas , olive oil , lemon juice and garlic ... perfectly natural and healthy

^^This! And it also depends on the brand of Hummus as well. Just read the ingredients/nutritional label before purchasing. Sweet Potato Hummus is my fave!
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Awesome recipes people!!!
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good source of protein and fat but Arabic not Greek if that makes you falafel
    Better than humus
  • carpar16
    Options
    bump - I love hummus!!!!
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use Alton Brown's Turbo Hummus recipe as a jumping off point, then tweak it to my needs.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/turbo-hummus-recipe/index.html
  • Shook765
    Shook765 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump - love love love Hummus!
  • SteveDallman
    Options
    I've always used Alton Brown's Turbo Hummus recipe but the last two times I've used his Hummus for Real recipe which uses cooked "fresh" chickpeas. So much better than store bought and even better than recipes using canned chickpeas.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hummus-for-real-recipe/index.html

One note though. When the recipe calls for one pound of chickpeas, it means one pound of cooked chickpeas. If you cook and use one pound of dried chickpeas, you'll need to use double all the other ingredients. But it is fantastic with pita or sugar snap peas!