What is your wedding advice to a newly married couple?

Options
2»

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Show your love and appreciation every day and it can be as simple as a compliment, a thank you or an I love you. I think it is important to still say and do the things you did before you were married. For example, sometimes my hubby does sweet things out of the blue like he will bring me a warm towel just as I am stepping out of the shower.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, one more thing. Probably the most important thing for most lizard-brain guyz.

Good-hot-wild-crazy-imaginative-athletic conjugation, frequently. This is your husband, there are no taboos and no need to hold anything back. Don't be shy, don't be tentative, and for g-d's sake don't always wait for one partner to initiate. :tongue:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Here's another....FLIRT with each other! After 20 years nothing makes me happier than those little gestures!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You guys are so good. Thank you so much for all of your advice. :smile:
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Best words of wisdom I got were from my mother on my wedding day:
    "Remember that marriage is not a 50/50 proposition, but more of any 80/20 split. Sometimes it will be your 80 and his 20, other times it will be your 20 to his 80. Just always believe that it all balances out in the end so long as you are there for each other."

What I have learned in the 25+ years I have been in the (as Casper called it so aptly) institution:
    Being married is work and it is a choice you make every day. You make that choice and re-inforce it -- through your actions both with and away from your partner. Do you openly flirt with people other than your partner? Have you continued Girls/Guys night out -- at a bar with your single friends who are there to pick up someone? Do your friends really support and respect your choice to be married? Are you putting yourself in situations where temptations will eventually present themselves? How do you talk about your partner? Do you use the term "We" when discussing inner couple decisions to others (ie: "We decided to by a house.") Do you put the marriage first -- always? (Yes even before your children.)

Think of what can you do to build the marriage up, because there are plenty of stressors in life that will try to tear it down -- and that is without the added stress of children.

I love my DH and I could not imagine life without him. We have had our trials and tribulations, but I would still rather spend time with him than anyone else --most of the time.

Edit: one more -- "I LOVE YOU" is said in many different ways -- learn to listen for it.
  • Fawkes
    Fawkes Posts: 50
    Options
    ENJOY each other and the time you have togther. The first year of marriage can be tough, with combining incomes, bills, and personalities. Be patient, have open communication, and trust each other. Encouarge each other to reach goals or dreams, no matter how silly they may seem to the other person.

Wait to have kids (I think at least a year). Kids are a wonderful, WONDERFUL blessing, but once they are here, that one on one time you enjoyed with yoru spouse will be limited. Take that alone time to have "fun" all over the house, learn more about each other (even if you think you know everything, you probably don't!), travel with each other, and experience new things and enjoy that newlywed bliss!
  • bxdarby
    bxdarby Posts: 17
    Options
    The "Silent Treatment" never works. It's a selfish way of ignoring something that should probably talk about. Always always always be open and honest and talk about whatever may be upsetting you.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Bottom line respect each other
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Don't be right at the expense of your marriage. No single disaggreement is more important than your life together. Winning the argument is a ridiculous goal.

I think this is fantastic advice.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Talk about everything. Seriously. Don't pent up your feelings. If you're pissed he loaded the dishes wrong, then tell him. If he hates if you leave the cap off the toothpaste, be prepared for him to let you know. You're going to spend the rest of your life with this person, so communication is key. If you hold in any aggravation for that long... it's gonna blow up.

I like the advice about staying naked as well, lol.
  • SteelersfanChris
    Options
    Never go to bed mad.

This.

The importance of this advice can never, ever be overstated. I've been married for almost 4 years now and we made a pact to never go to bed angry. In 4 years we've never gone to bed without resolving problems and we're in a really happy, healthy marriage. I'm all for procrastination but not when it comes to making things right with an argument.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I agree with LuckyLeprechaun on the going to bed angry thing. We've done it before. One time, it took 2 days for us to be able to discuss the matter calmly. (it was about kids, responsibilities and punishments--I won't go into the details). After the second day, about 9:00 at night, we were able to talk it out and come to an agreement. We don't have the 12 or 20 or even more years that some of you have, but we're going on 6. And in another 10 years, all four of those kids will be out of the house (hopefully), and we won't have that issue coming between us any more!

Remember the quote, "This too, shall pass". It may take 10 years, but eventually it will pass. (Gosh, I hope the kids don't act like self centered ignorant twits that whole 10 years, it'll make it seem like 100 (did I mention that we have two teenagers and two tweens who act worse than the teenagers? :sad: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: ))

I love some of the funny quips. I have to do a matron of honor speech and I may steal one or two for it!
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a gift that I give to all newlyweds and you could do this too. Get two boxes, put 150 sheets of stationary, 50 envelopes, and an ink pen in each box. Now when I give this as a gift I make the box sonething special but any box will do. On your wedding day and every anniversary after, write each other a letter telling them how you feel about the previous year you spent with them. You can recap happy times, trying times, funny things, or things that they may not have even known about (like every morning when my husband left for work he kissed me goodbye and told me he loved me, when he was gone I asked God to keep him safe and watch over him, I never told him that but I would put it in the letter). When you have the letters written put them in an envelope and seal it, put the year on the front of the envelope and put it in the box. DO NOT GIVE THE LETTER TO YOUR SPOUCE! Write the letters every year and on your 50th anniversary give each other the leters to read. Also, if it looks like you are seriously going to get a divorce, read the letters. It may help you remember what you ment to each other through the years and change your minds.

Good Luck and love each other deeply.