Problems with breakfast

Options
I really struggle to eat breakfast before I go to work, I work 12 hour shifts so I'll be at work by 7:30am, and I leave the house an hour before. Eating at that time makes me feel sick, I even tried just having yogurt, or even a breakfast bar (why are they so sweet?! Yuck) but I just felt horrible.

I really want to have breakfast in the morning, preferably something that will keep me going until I get a break, and something high in protein (I know, I don't ask much :tongue: ) so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I thought maybe a homemade smoothie might be an idea, but I'm not fab with nutrition so any help would be great.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel sick to eat and you're not hungry, then don't eat breakfast. Maybe have a larger snack at your break?

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't feel like it.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't get a break until 4:30pm, so I wouldn't get a chance to eat til then, which is what makes me want to make sure I eat.
    Thank you though!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Would amking a shake and drinking it in the car work for you? Or at your desk.work area? Maybe a protein drink is something you could sip on until lunch?
  • cthouin
    cthouin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What about a turkey sausage and egg white sandwich? You can prepare ahead of time and freeze. Easy enough to grab and warm up on your way out.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    When people are sick the suggest the BRAT diet, Bananas, Rice, and Toast because they are the easiest to digest on the tummy. Could you eat toast with PB on it? and a banana on the way maybe?
  • jveev
    jveev Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    if you need something very portable why not a protein shake and a breakfast bar, you can eat in the car on the way... I bought some of the atkins breakfast bars, I think it's around 130 calories and I think pretty tastey, blueberry almond.

I'm eating an egg with an egg white, 1/4 cup of skim mozzerella, and 1/2 cup of pico de gallo, made it like an omlete......less than 300 calories. pretty tastey, took 3 minutes to make. Good luck. btw, I am on my way in to work 12 hours too. It's tricky sometimes.
  • BCinDenver
    BCinDenver Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sammich.

My go-to is a toasted whole wheat english muffin with egg white (just microwave and egg white in a mug for about 15 seconds), chicken sausage or ham, and avocado. Packed with protein, good fats and whole grain.

The reason I recommend this is that you can wrap it in foil and it will stay warm for an hour or two (and will still be good even after it cools). That way you can take it with you and eat it right before you walk in to work.
  • fenwayc1
    fenwayc1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is a protein shake. I blend it with kale and half a frozen banana, sometimes 1/4 of an avocado, makes it creamier and it stays with you for a few hours. My brand that I use has 20 grams of protein.
  • kariannmbc
    Options
    I'm not really a breakfast person, but I've discovered with working out in the morning, if I don't eat something, I'm ready to gnaw on my desk by 11am. So, I either have something like cottage cheese or Three Gain Peanut Bread (below). This is the original recipe, you can cut the sugar down as much as you want, or use honey, molasses, etc. Easy to make, yummy, and breakfast is done for a week.

Three Grain Peanut Bread (from More with Less Cookbook)

Makes: 1 loaf
    Combine in a mixing bowl:
    1 cup white flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup dry milk powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

Cut in:

2/3 cup creamy peanut butter

Blend and pour in:

1 egg
    1 1/2 cup milk

Mix well, turn into greased and flour 9x5" loaf pan, Spread batter evenly. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes at 325, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.
    With 12 slices, it's 218 calories per slice.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have 2 hardboiled eggs for breakfast almost every morning. I hardboil them the night before or while i'm getting ready for work. I put them in a plastic baggy and take them with me to work. When I get hungry, I just peel and eat. Sometimes it's right at 8 a.m. sometimes it's not until 10 am.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i would go with a smoothie. Since you get up so early I would start putting all the ingredients that you're going to put in your smoothie in ready to go sandwhich/freezer bags. Then all you have to do is get up open the bag and milk/water/juice or whatever liquid and blend away. RTD (ready to drink) protein shakes are sometimes very helpful to me.
    I also boil a dozen eggs every Sunday and eat them throuhout the week. So I would do two boiled eggs a toast with PB, etc. that's fast and way healthy. Fruit and boiled eggs. I think those are light and healthy morning meals that won't be too much but will get you going. If you've never tried quinoa in the morning for breakfast, try it, you might like it. It's very light and I pair it with egg whites and if i have left over meats from the dinner before. I think you just need to stick to smaller, lighter meals. You'll get used to it then your body will start wanting it!!!
    Good luck!
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    I have been making breakfast sandwiches: whole wheat english muffin, boiled egg, and a slice of ultra thin cheese. I had this today. So good.

I have also been known to take a baggie of cheerios and eat it at my desk. Or boil an egg, take cheese sticks, or as an option, I have gone to Subway in the morning and gotten an egg white on an english muffin with tomato, onion, and cheese. If I don't get cheese, I put a little dressing on it.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    what kind of a job do you have where you don't get a lunch break? Or am i reading wrong. I make smoothies in the morning. It takes 10 minutes and you can drink it in your car on the way to work. Get one of those plastic glassses with the cap that screws on.
    OR cliff bars - 240 calories
    OR hard boiled egg and banana - eat them later when you get hungry

I have a smoothie at 7am then i am hungry at 10- so i have a chobani yogurt or HB egg
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to eat breakfast before I go to work, I work 12 hour shifts so I'll be at work by 7:30am, and I leave the house an hour before. Eating at that time makes me feel sick, I even tried just having yogurt, or even a breakfast bar (why are they so sweet?! Yuck) but I just felt horrible.

I really want to have breakfast in the morning, preferably something that will keep me going until I get a break, and something high in protein (I know, I don't ask much :tongue: ) so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I thought maybe a homemade smoothie might be an idea, but I'm not fab with nutrition so any help would be great.

Look into intermittent fasting. I've used it very effectively. Basically you skip breakfast. You will get used to it very quickly and then you eat two bigger meals later in the day. It actually increases your metabolism.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    what kind of a job do you have where you don't get a lunch break? Or am i reading wrong. I make smoothies in the morning. It takes 10 minutes and you can drink it in your car on the way to work. Get one of those plastic glassses with the cap that screws on.
    OR cliff bars - 240 calories
    OR hard boiled egg and banana - eat them later when you get hungry

I have a smoothie at 7am then i am hungry at 10- so i have a chobani yogurt or HB egg

I'm a nurse, there's been a few times I haven't had one until 6pm. If something goes wrong then I can't just leave the ward, and I also can't eat on the ward!

Edit: there was also that infamous time I didn't get a break at all. For 12 hours straight (well, 12 and a half actually). I love my job, but it's a nightmare at times!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have 2 hardboiled eggs for breakfast almost every morning. I hardboil them the night before or while i'm getting ready for work. I put them in a plastic baggy and take them with me to work. When I get hungry, I just peel and eat. Sometimes it's right at 8 a.m. sometimes it's not until 10 am.

I used to not eat breakfast at all and now ^^ I do this all the time and sometimes I make oatmeal or bring a banana to go with my egg, it's very fast to eat and not really messy. It helps if after my eggs are boiled at night if I peel them before putting them in the baggy that way its even easier to just eat at my desk quickly while no one is looking, lol
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bumping do to hatred of breakfast. These are some tasty suggestions though. :)