weight watchers v calorie counting

Options

Replies

• 77loopylou
    77loopylou Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    think i am more confussed then when i frist asked the question! Not sure what to do now!
  • KristinaW506
    KristinaW506 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in WW. Like myfitnesspal, you can eat healthy or not and still follow it but you quickly learn the benefits of healthy eating. It helps you develop routines that you can use in your everyday life. I’ve lost almost 30lbs so far with WW (since October) and I will stick with it until I reach my goal. Of course MFP is free and WW costs money but once you reach your goal weight and become a lifetime member WW is free too! To me the support I get online, in person and at meetings from WW makes the monthly fee worth it. It also pushes me that much harder to become a lifetime member and not have to pay anymore. MFP is great for information but it’s hard to measure the accuracy and everyone seems to have a different formula for counting how many calories you should eat.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,300 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers for as short time and didn't like it at all..just because I was starving all the time and quit pretty quick.

I like mfp for a few reasons:

1. free
    2. when you count calories you learn more than blindly counting points
    3.i've learned i can eat more by setting my loss to a pound a week and eat back my exercise calories..it is like not dieting at all.
  • MissVamp13
    Options
    Hi :) I am a current weightwatchers member, joined last september. Im finding that my daily points are too little for my calorie intake. I wont quit though as I use it as extra motivation :) x
  • dcvisser
    Options
    I have done weight watchers and think it is a great program, I have lost weight on it. But I like MFP better, not only is it free but I have to keep my carb intake in check and weight watchers doesn't give the option to see the nutritional breakdown at the end of the day. I also found that I am better at tracking on MFP then point counting with WW.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've done WW and Slimming World. Personally I think MFP is better as it teaches you about real values of food i.e. calories. You can't live on points or syns for life, it's not teaching you anything.

Everyone is different, but I think calorie counting is the best (and oldest) method!
  • Trigrl83
    Trigrl83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did ww in 2009 and lost 50 lbs from january to November. I loved WW and still do. I think weight watchers really taught me about good choices and using my daily allowance of poiints wisely. My fitness pal is nice because it is free but I am not losing the weight as easily as I did at WW. Maybe the weekly meetings and the accountability on the scale in front of an acctual person is what I needed and here on MFP there is no "big brother" standing over my shoulder.

I have been strongly considering going back to WW in the last few months. I have gained around 10 lbs since htting my goal weight in 2009 and would like to get back to the leaner self I know I can be.

My advice is go to a WW meeting and get involved with the other people there. The motivation and encouragement is amazing
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump
  • flynnegan
    flynnegan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi i done weight watchers last year, i loved it and it got me about a stone and a half off, the last half a stone and a bit came off slowly doing a variety of different things like more excersising no carbs etc etc

I think weight watchers is a great starter, it will only take you to a certain point though, i find that on the last 14 pounds i really have to watch every calorie so hence why i joined here and started calorie counting! Weightwatchers lets you have all the fruit and veg you want, for 0 points but there will come a time you will have to start watching these too.

Well that is my feelings on it anyway!!

Though i like weight watchers a few things annoy me about it. Things like diet coke is 0 points. And ya calories are low or whatever but its still a fizzy drink its still bad for you.
    They dont defrinciate between white breads and pastas to wholemeals ones. i think a point in the difference might make people make a better choice.
    It should focus more on getting people to make better choices for the long run and not short term!

Good luck with your choice, do what works for you, and stay the course :)
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    think i am more confussed then when i frist asked the question! Not sure what to do now!
    trust me, try this if you can: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp

Then decide if you want to quit WW.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers.

The basics of WW is no different to MFP, you just count points rather than calories. If you can do WW, you can do MFP.

MFP is free. WW is not.

WW encourage you to buy processed, expensive, chemical riddled food in portion sizes big enough for a small child. MFP teaches you how to eat healthily without the need for microwave meals.

MFP teaches you about macros, healthy amounts of protein, fats, carbs, and sodium levels. WW simply concentrates on points.

Switch to MFP. You won't regret it.

^^ this....exactly
    When I was on WW I found that it would give the same amount of points for less healthy options as it did for the more healthy choice. I wanted to eat cleaner and save money so I dropped WW and came back to MFP.
  • CM9178
    Options

The basics of WW is no different to MFP, you just count points rather than calories. If you can do WW, you can do MFP.

MFP is free. WW is not.

WW encourage you to buy processed, expensive, chemical riddled food in portion sizes big enough for a small child. MFP teaches you how to eat healthily without the need for microwave meals.

MFP teaches you about macros, healthy amounts of protein, fats, carbs, and sodium levels. WW simply concentrates on points.

^^ this....exactly
    When I was on WW I found that it would give the same amount of points for less healthy options as it did for the more healthy choice. I wanted to eat cleaner and save money so I dropped WW and came back to MFP.
    I'm not that familiar with the new points system, but the old points were based on calories, fat and fiber.
    So if something is higher in fat, it is higher in points.
    higher in fiber lowers the points.
    So pretty much, the unhealthy things should be MORE points. I don't know what you consider unhealthy, but just because something might be the same points value doesn't mean you have to eat it - you need to use common sense to.
    A Big Mac might be the same amount of points as something healthier, but it doesn't mean I'm going to eat the Big Mac. This reasoning makes aboslutely no sense.
  • editress
    editress Posts: 25 Member
    Options

MFP is free. WW is not.

^^ this....exactly

MFP dos not teach you anything except how much protein, carbs, fat act you should have. You could get those through processed foods, processed carbs, deli meats, potato chips,. I have seen people dairies on MFP and amazed what people eat. A Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich, light processed bread, margarine, candy but here are in thier guidelines and 1200 calories . You have to take the extra step to know how to eat . Just like when people say they are starving on WW points. Well if you eat potato chips, frozen meals and a lot of processed food yes it will eat up your points but if you concentrate on whole grains, clean protein and fat, fruits and veggies you will get be able to eat a lot. I learned a lot about eat healthy on WW and also do my own research.

And yes some points are the same for white rice and brown rice but on MFP 1 c white rice is 205 calories and Brown rice is 216 so you are using more calories for wholesome foods so I don't know how you can say you can eat healthier on MFP then on WW.

And the poster who said on WW zero coke is 0 points well yes it is and 0 calories on MFP so you have to want to stop drinking it. No one is going to hold your hand.

You have to take responsibilities upon yourselves to work both of the programs right. They both are great but both will fail if you don't know how to eat right.
  • CM9178
    Options

MFP is free. WW is not.

^^ this....exactly

MFP dos not teach you anything except how much protein, carbs, fat act you should have. You could get those through processed foods, processed carbs, deli meats, potato chips,. I have seen people dairies on MFP and amazed what people eat. A Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich, light processed bread, margarine, candy but here are in thier guidelines and 1200 calories . You have to take the extra step to know how to eat . Just like when people say they are starving on WW points. Well if you eat potato chips, frozen meals and a lot of processed food yes it will eat up your points but if you concentrate on whole grains, clean protein and fat, fruits and veggies you will get be able to eat a lot. I learned a lot about eat healthy on WW and also do my own research.

And yes some points are the same for white rice and brown rice but on MFP 1 c white rice is 205 calories and Brown rice is 216 so you are using more calories for wholesome foods so I don't know how you can say you can eat healthier on MFP then on WW.

And the poster who said on WW zero coke is 0 points well yes it is and 0 calories on MFP so you have to want to stop drinking it. No one is going to hold your hand.

You have to take responsibilities upon yourselves to work both of the programs right. They both are great but both will fail if you don't know how to eat right.
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said!
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    Can I ask, how did you reconcile your 26 points with your daily calorie limit on MFP? I'm allowed 20 WW points, but I'm afraid to go by MFP in case I eat too many cals.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The arguments based upon people losing so much weight using WW aren't really arguments. People who have never used WW lose weight too. People who use nothing more than a notebook and a calculator and the nutritional facts labels on their foods can lose weight as well (with the occasional look up on sites such as caloriecount.com). I know, that's how I dropped my first 40 in my first few months of dieting before finding MFP. It really comes down to whether or not you want to pay for someone else to tell you how to do it and how much math and research you're willing to do. And honestly, the more you actively learn about what you eat and what you put into your body the more likely you are to retain that information and keep those newly formed habits.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Two diffrent names for the same thing. The points system that WW does is just one way of counting calories. I think the idea of turning nuturition into an easy to follow point system is great for people who may be confused or overwhelmed by changing the way they eat. It would be better if they then taught you how to apply that point system to actual calories and nutrition once you felt you had grasped it. But doing that would be like saying "now you don't need us to maintain your goal." I feel the ultimate goal of healthy eating is to be able to maintain it throughout ones entire life. I personally find counting calories is just as easy as counting points and I feel more aware of my actual nutrition using MFP where as with WW all I did was worry about points. But if WW gets someone started and is something they can understand and maintain then that's what matters.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Can I ask, how did you reconcile your 26 points with your daily calorie limit on MFP? I'm allowed 20 WW points, but I'm afraid to go by MFP in case I eat too many cals.
    I have to ask, you are following the old points, or the new points plus? Because 20 points sounds VERY low for either plan, especially old points. If that is old points, that would work out to like 900 calories a day. So I'm not sure where you got that points number.

I am using the plug-in for Firefox, so I can see my WW points in my MFP diary - so I can see how many calories my points work out to be(the points will vary based on the othe rmacros though).

I am following old points, and I eat about 24 per day, average - which is usually somewhere around 1300 calories.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've done WW a few times. I haven't seen a points limit of 20 for a long time. I think now the lowest they give is 26. However, when I first did WW 10 years ago they had a points range. Mine was 18-23. Then they got rid of the range and made it a set goal but added the weekly points. I think the lowest then was 20. When they started points plus is when people got more points per day, but they also changed the way points were calculated.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I've done WW a few times. I haven't seen a points limit of 20 for a long time. I think now the lowest they give is 26. However, when I first did WW 10 years ago they had a points range. Mine was 18-23. Then they got rid of the range and made it a set goal but added the weekly points. I think the lowest then was 20. When they started points plus is when people got more points per day, but they also changed the way points were calculated.
    Yeah, that's why I think she must be doing old points, but even so, 20 is really low, that's why they had the ranges.
    I am still following old points, and I know that on days I eat 22 points, it is usually around 1200 calories, sometimes less.