Weight lifting Intimidation?

Options
Hi Everyone!
So I am usually a cardio baby, but I am trying to reform myself. I've been reading more into weight lifting and seeing the benefits has made me really want to start to get into it. I have looked online and been trying to read books etc. I think I've found a work out I really like on Bodybuilding.com. I'm wondering though, if anyone has also felt the intimidation of trying to go into the weight lifting area? If you have, how have you gotten over that? I know this is probably a "just do it" thing, but I'm just looking for some advice on how to not look like an idiot that has no idea what I am doing :)

Thanks!

Replies

• KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    me! Is why I intend to invest in some heavier weights and start at home first so I don't look like a big girls blouse! Good luck xx
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly just do it! There is no other way around it and if you don't know what you're doing or you think you're doing something wrong then ask someone or see if the manager at the gym or one of the people who works there can help you out.

There have been plenty of times that I or my husband have nicely corrected someone who was doing an exercise wrong and it's always appreciated. We have also seen exercises we've never seen or done before and have asked whoever was doing it what it works etc. and they are more than happy to tell us. Big, buff body building guys can be intimidating but one thing they LOVE to talk about is weight lifting LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    So I am usually a cardio baby, but I am trying to reform myself. I've been reading more into weight lifting and seeing the benefits has made me really want to start to get into it. I have looked online and been trying to read books etc. I think I've found a work out I really like on Bodybuilding.com. I'm wondering though, if anyone has also felt the intimidation of trying to go into the weight lifting area? If you have, how have you gotten over that? I know this is probably a "just do it" thing, but I'm just looking for some advice on how to not look like an idiot that has no idea what I am doing :)

Thanks!
    If you're a member of a gym, almost all of them have an introductory to weight lifting at no cost. It may or may not be with a trainer. But at the very least, instruction is given on how to perform an exercise. Inquire at the desk to find out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • craftybirdy
    Options
    You gotta put on your big girl panties and get in there. Ask the front desk when the weight room is quietest and go then. Put on your headphones and walk in there like you mean business. If you're unsure of what to do, hire a trainer for a session or look up exercises on youtube.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You'll probably feel uncomfortable at first, but that goes away, and it's so worth it! Take some one with you, if you can.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. A personal trainer is a great way to get use to the gym and to learn good form.

I started lifting using a BB.com program (Jamie Easons Live Fit). It was a great way to get into lifting because you can look up and print out pictures. Plus the plan is already done. You just have to follow it.

It is always intimidating to start something new but we have all been there. And those of us in the "mens section" of the gym lifting heavy arent as scary as we seem :) Go in there like you own the place and lift heavy! :)
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer my first few times, but when I tried a couple of new gyms over the summer.. you just need to realize the meatheads are staring at their own muscles in the mirror and put your headphones in to ignore their grunts (whenever they see something that resembles a female walk by... it's the mating call of the curlbro in their natural habitat).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks!

First off - don't be intimated. I have yet to meet a man who was upset that there was a cute girl in the vicinity. And I have yet to meet a man who didn't appreciate watching a woman squat! Lol!

Second - try and see if your gym offers a session with a trainer to get an into to weights.

Third - HAVE FUN!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has a good article about how to get over that intimidation and get a good weightlifting workout as a beginner lifter.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/
  • Shtallionchick14
    Shtallionchick14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Work on form - not heavy weights at first.

Think about it - do you ever judge other people as they work out? I am usually too busy trying to catch my breath to worry about anyone else - and they are likely the same way.

If you really want some help, grab a friend or get a few personal training sessions to help you start.

PS... I need to start doing more lifting too.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was very uncomfortable at first, in there with all of those sweaty, grunting guys! Now I just sweat and grunt right along with them! You can do it! Honestly, they really don't pay much attention! I do have to say when I started squatting heavier weight they started noticing! Which made me smile! :P
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This was my main reservation about lifting weights, and still kind of is. It is a "just do it" kind of thing. I've found that lifting weights early in the morning works great for me. There just aren't that many people in the gym that early and it's easier to move from workout to workout.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I felt this way for a long time. For a while I would only go in the women's section at my old gym. But then when I was having a personal trainer 3x a week at a different gym, he had me doing all kinds of free weights. And then on days I would come on my own, I would still do the routine using the free weights.

Maybe hire a trainer for a few sessions so you can learn the proper way to lift, and this will also help you get over your fear of that area of the gym. And really, once I was used to it, I never really thought about if people were looking at me or not; I was there to do my workout. The first time is the hardest, but once you've gotten a little comfortable with the weights, you won't even think about it!
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice! I am definitely going to ask at the front desk if they have someone there to help me out! :)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Go during off-hours. There are fewer people there, which means you will have access to more equipment without feeling rushed. You can take your time practicing your form and getting everything figured out. Once you feel more confident in what you're doing, you will feel far less intimidated. Although - I've been lifting for well over a year and I still feel intimidated at times. So - you just don't worry about it - you're there for you, and that's all that really matters! I go at 4:30 a.m. when it's not too busy (although there are still plenty of people there). It's great because I usually don't have to wait around for stuff - although that's not always the case. I've now learned to have a back-up excercise planned as a replacement in case what I want to use is busy. I've gone later in the day before and it's packed. I'd rather wake up at 4 a.m. than to ever deal with that again!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it or if your gym offers a free session or two with a trainer, I'd definitely go that route.

Otherwise and also, find a good beginner strength program...Starting Strength and Strong Lifts are excellent. You may also want to look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is excellent and my wife is thoroughly enjoying it. Having a bonafied program to work with and understanding that program...how to properly perform the lifts, etc is very important. It prevents you from looking like a dumb *kitten* because you're not just wandering around from weight to weight aimlessly doing stuff...just standing there looking around, etc. You will have a set routine and you just do it. I'm not sure what routine you found on BB.com...most I've seen aren't really appropriate for beginners.

As others have noted, start with form first...don't worry about loading up with weight...form over weight to lift safely and prevent injury. Practice form for a good couple of weeks if you're doing 3x weekly routine...put a little weight on, but don't let your form suffer. Once you have your form down, start trying to progress in your weight. Of course, any of the programs I mentioned above are going to tell you that, so if you read up and follow the program you'll be all good.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recommending bodybuilding.com! I just went and checked it out and started a training plan. Can't wait to get started!!!!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If your gym has trainers on hand, ask for a free consultation. Maybe they'll give you a discount for a 3-session package. After that, you should be good to go.

Try to spot the knowledgeable, experienced lifters in the gym and ask them for advice on a technique (as long as you keep it to a few questions per session, it shouldn't be a problem). I've recently started doing variations of deadlifts to find which one I like the best, and was able to ask another lifter to watch my form.

Bodybuilding.com videos are very helpful, if you have a smart phone they have an app that's pretty good too (good reference to have with you at the gym).

When you get going, even with light weights, you should get some noticeable gains within 4-6 weeks. This is incredibly self-motivating.

Write what exercises you want to do ahead of time and keep that with you. It's easy to get off-track because of crowds or lack of equipment. But if you start doing whatever is convenient or accessible, then you may shortchange yourself. It's easy to get overwhelmed, but it's that way for everyone at first. And most of the people lifting would rather you ask them for advice (or for a spot) because we all have been there.

Good luck to you!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult the gym staff to make sure you get your form correct, but as the others said, you just gotta do it. You'll feel awkward and self-conscious at first, I totally did. Not just because I'm a woman, more so because I was morbidly obese when I started. Having been a member of my gym for going on 3 years now, I've ended up making friends with most of the regulars and the guys are so supportive of my training. I assure you that when people see a woman, obese or not, in the free weights area, they are cheering you on - sometimes silently and sometimes not. People who lift LOVE seeing other people getting into lifting, and they are hoping that you stick with it so you can enjoy the pride and confidence that comes with making progress in the weight room.

DO IT GIRL!!! Strong chicks rule.