Things that make you go HMMMM...

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
So watching the news this morning, I heard an interesting statistic that got me thinking. The average commuter in the US spends 2 hours a day in traffic. The amount of money spent in fuel is in the billions. So...........................

Could it be possible that BIG OIL is somehow working with funding new construction companies in rural areas to build homes further away to help reduce cost to the buyer, BUT increase revenue for BIG OIL because of the cost of fuel for commuting?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I'm not a conspiracy guy, but I could see them getting involved in lobbying for reduced infrastructure ( and against public transit ) to make the commutes longer.
  • aprilmaybee
    Options
    I don't know if I necessarily truly believe it, but I wouldn't put it past them either!
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Who Killed the Electric Car?
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't surprise me.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me why I love working from home. My commute is a ten meter walk from my bedroom to my office. Suck it big oil.
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me???? You can't be serious with this???

People live where they live cuz that's where they want to live. Some are smart enough to think of the commute, others aren't. Then there's California where mass transit and public transportation is a dirty word. Give 'em their foreign cars, Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's and more. Look at the difference in mass transit usage and availability in the Northeast compared to the West.

Blame Big Oil??? Why not blame Bush. Somehow ity's gotta be his fault!

I blame stupid people for not planning ahead.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I miss Toronto. I took the bus and subway...same when i lived in Asia...public transport was awesome..and so cheap.

When i had an office job here in Nashville...it took me 2 hours each day just traveling for work... omg it was awful.
    one thing i noticed after arriving in the States was how far apart everything was...and how long it took just to get from one place to another!

im working from home now and i LOVE it!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You've got to be kidding me???? You can't be serious with this???

People live where they live cuz that's where they want to live. Some are smart enough to think of the commute, others aren't. Then there's California where mass transit and public transportation is a dirty word. Give 'em their foreign cars, Mercedes, BMW's, Audi's and more. Look at the difference in mass transit usage and availability in the Northeast compared to the West.

Blame Big Oil??? Why not blame Bush. Somehow ity's gotta be his fault!

I blame stupid people for not planning ahead.
    Why not be serious about it? I'm not saying it's happening, I just gave it thought. Kinda like I gave it thought that providing sub standard loans out to home buyers wasn't good. I thought it was a BAD idea because dealing with people with credit issues and debt ratios myself (I used to work in collections for an office that financed a lot of it's own contracts for a short time) and knowing that not having actual income to back the loans would result close down of the business. Funny how that panned out, all the while people were trumpeting the financial boom due to over inflated prices of homes. And of course Bush didn't have a hand in that.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whitehairedguy64
    Options
    No Bush didn't have a hand in that. It started under Clinton, and our wonderful current Pesident was a part of the process back in the 90's. There was this idea that ALL Americans should be able to own homes, and the people in the inner city should have the opportunity to buy one. So banks were "encouraged"..................note the word "encouraged"...........should be strong armed, to make loans that ordinarily wouldn't be made, and Fanny Mae, and Freddie Mac backed them.

I bought my 8th house in 2004 and know what I was offered for mortgage choices. I knew enough to not bite at what was ofered. Those without experience weren't so fortunate.

Open your eyes to reality, look at what's going on and stop blaming Bush!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think it's also ignorance or even in some cases prejudice amongst the local electorate... I live in a city where there is virtually no mass transit because the electorate has voted it down THREE times... seriously.... they have spouted excuses such as "it will bring crime and poverty" (as if we didn't already have that thanks to the bastions of substandard section 8 housing that are typically run by slumlords from a different State). They don't want to raise taxes on something they will "never use" even though a comprehensive metro system will ease congestion and air pollution, thus also benefitting them as well... we already have the roads to support busses as all arterial streets around here are 4 lanes or wider. The only ones that are not, are the ones that go into the neighborhoods and even then many are the wider roads for traffic to park on.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No Bush didn't have a hand in that. It started under Clinton, and our wonderful current Pesident was a part of the process back in the 90's. There was this idea that ALL Americans should be able to own homes, and the people in the inner city should have the opportunity to buy one. So banks were "encouraged"..................note the word "encouraged"...........should be strong armed, to make loans that ordinarily wouldn't be made, and Fanny Mae, and Freddie Mac backed them.

I bought my 8th house in 2004 and know what I was offered for mortgage choices. I knew enough to not bite at what was ofered. Those without experience weren't so fortunate.

Open your eyes to reality, look at what's going on and stop blaming Bush!
    Sorry, you misinterpreted my sarcasm. I KNOW that Clinton penned that legislation. I WASN'T blaming Bush for that.
    The banks may have been "strong armed" into it, but let's face it, once the money started pouring in and they got a taste of it, they didn't really care if default was going to happen because they knew THEY would be okay. Were they aware that the bubble was going to pop? Sure, but not until they made off with billions to pocket. I'm sure that they had insight that the government would probably bail them out to avert a financial shut down.
    Luckily for my wife and I we bought our first home in 2002 right at the beginning of the boom and when we sold in 2010, were still able to make a profit. Can't say the same for many of my friends who bought in 2005.

My point is that BIG MONEY has a way of making big money without us being fully aware of what may be happening. There's nothing wrong with questioning. If anything, it may help to avert a disaster for some.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    When someone starts a thread titled "Last thing you put in your mouth" and my news feed is full of females responding.

hmm
  • joe3166
    Options
    Don't dismiss the conspiracy theory too quickly.
    They've done it before - http://www.lovearth.net/gmdeliberatelydestroyed.htm
    Notice the rail system in Japan, Russia, China, India, and Europe