Lifting heavy for women

Options
I've seen numerous posts re the benefits of lifting heavy and the science makes plenty of sense, so hope to incorporate some weight lifting into my routine shortly.

My question is this;

How heavy?

I struggle with the barbie dumbbells at times...what sort of weight should I be looking at? Planning to get some for the home initially while I gain confidence in using them.

For you newbie female lifters what weight did you start with and where are you at now. I'm in UK so would prefer kilo measures but will convert if you let me know the weight in lbs.

Hints and tips appreciated guys.

Thanks xx

Replies

• Ashleyambermfp
    Ashleyambermfp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I personally started light and gradually moved up. I love lifting heavy. I can tell you that I started working out on shoulder press at 3 lbs and now use 17lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps. Clean and Press I used to use the smallest bar possible but now I use a 45 lb bar. You have to work up to it.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I personally started light and gradually moved up. I love lifting heavy. I can tell you that I started working out on shoulder press at 3 lbs and now use 17lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps. Clean and Press I used to use the smallest bar possible but now I use a 45 lb bar. You have to work up to it.

I agree. I do clean and press with a 45 lb bar and can comfortably swing a 35 pound kettle bell, do pull ups, push ups, etc. I could never do that before. I could run a marathon but couldn't do 10 push ups. I started lifting when I was 30, and I still do twice a week. I hired a personal trainer and I work out/lift with him. I started out with light weights, really light.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    as a beginner, any weight you can lift 12-15 times, until you have good form. (so maybe a week or two) - good form is crucial for avoiding injury

then move to slightly heavier weights you can lift 8-12 times, or 5-8 times (opinions vary)

if you can lift it more times than this, it's too light. Make sure your form is good before you attempt to lift heavier though.

when you can lift as many as the maximum number in the range, add a little more weight

lifting heavy = relative to what you can currently lift. you keep on progressively increasing the weights as your strength improves.
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the really quick reply girls....it's much more encouraging when you actually hear people telling you to start light and build up than getting an idea in your head that you should already be able to lift heavy. I'm on 3kg dumbbells at the moment which is just over 6 pounds but after just 2x8 reps I begin to ache...should I drop some weight to be able to do more reps do you think?

As I feel my strength improving I do intend to really make the most of the weight room at my gym but am reluctant to do so just yet...matter of confidence I guess.

I have noticed an improvement though just from these when it comes to my pilates and can hold my poses for much longer!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    When i first started i was doing 8-10 reps of everything with 5 pounds (2.3 kg)weights, because i had the upper body strenght of a baby mouse. I'd say lift as much as you're comfortable with at first to learn proper form, and get used to lifting. Once you're comfortable,up your weights gradually, and aim for about 6 reps.
    Since you have a gym membership, ask someone to show you how to squat and deadlift properly, and again, up your weight gradually.
  • kmmuellr
    Options
    I'm a guy, but I'll respond! I've yet to see a woman in the squat rack at the gym I belong to, but there's no reason I shouldn't!

Heavy lifting is different for you than for me, or for the long term lifter. I've never been a body-builder or particularly athlethic for that matter, but I've (for the second time) started lifting this year. I'm following "Stronglifts 5x5", others also recommend "Starting Strength". Tons of info via google!

Basically, 5 sets of 5 repetitions of various lifts. You start with using only the barbell to insure that your form is perfect. The next time you do the same lift (ie, Squat on Mon, Wed, Fri) you add 5 lb to the bar (or more if you're ready to progress). Stick w/ it and the weight adds up pretty quickly!

K
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the really quick reply girls....it's much more encouraging when you actually hear people telling you to start light and build up than getting an idea in your head that you should already be able to lift heavy. I'm on 3kg dumbbells at the moment which is just over 6 pounds but after just 2x8 reps I begin to ache...should I drop some weight to be able to do more reps do you think?

As I feel my strength improving I do intend to really make the most of the weight room at my gym but am reluctant to do so just yet...matter of confidence I guess.

I have noticed an improvement though just from these when it comes to my pilates and can hold my poses for much longer!

What program are you doing? Lots of upper body moves are hard for women at first. Aching is ok...keep lifting!!!
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    If you really want to start lifting weights, I would recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women (lift like a man look like a godess). I started with this book because I had not the faintest of ideas on where to start. It walks you through everything ie nutrition, myths, facts and the workout plan itself with pictures and steps. It is an awesome book for beginners. Lifting heavy is awesome and I am seeing results in only 1 month. I have lost 5 lbs and many inches (although I wont remeasure until I finish my last 2 workouts). Another plus is that you can eat way more. I am eating about 1800 calories a day and yes as I said I have lost 5 pounds this month! Hope this helps you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you really want to start lifting weights, I would recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women (lift like a man look like a godess). I started with this book because I had not the faintest of ideas on where to start. It walks you through everything ie nutrition, myths, facts and the workout plan itself with pictures and steps. It is an awesome book for beginners. Lifting heavy is awesome and I am seeing results in only 1 month. I have lost 5 lbs and many inches (although I wont remeasure until I finish my last 2 workouts). Another plus is that you can eat way more. I am eating about 1800 calories a day and yes as I said I have lost 5 pounds this month! Hope this helps you!

Heavy is subjective, it's whatever you can heft for (generally) 3 sets of (my high end) 8.

I think that NR is a great start with a comprehensive read. I'm a HUGE fan of heavy lifting.
  • allsturns
    allsturns Posts: 36 Member
    Options

What program are you doing? Lots of upper body moves are hard for women at first. Aching is ok...keep lifting!!!

Not really got a programme as such..using only dumbbell lifts that's in the Davina workout DVDs I used to use and a few that I've found on youtube which aim to assist with my bingo wings...but deffo looking to get a copy of NR so that I can actually get a whole body routine going at some point.

As soon as I feel more comfortable about using that area of my gym I'm going to get the staff to show me the ropes too!

Edit: Spelling errors...though I'm convinced they were typos!
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The right amount of weight is the amount that allows you to maintain proper form when performing a particular exercise. I can't count the amount of times I have been at the gym, and see these people trying to lift too much weight, and not maintain form. There are varying opinions on how many reps to do. Just try to maintain good form. If you can't lift it without screwing up your form, put that weight down, and pick up a smaller one. Best wishes to you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The right amount of weight is the amount that allows you to maintain proper form when performing a particular exercise.

This is what I struggle with. I noticed during my second set of flyes with the 15lb DBs, I was drooping one arm a bit. Had to back it down to 10lbs for the last set!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but I'll respond! I've yet to see a woman in the squat rack at the gym I belong to, but there's no reason I shouldn't!

Heavy lifting is different for you than for me, or for the long term lifter. I've never been a body-builder or particularly athlethic for that matter, but I've (for the second time) started lifting this year. I'm following "Stronglifts 5x5", others also recommend "Starting Strength". Tons of info via google!

Basically, 5 sets of 5 repetitions of various lifts. You start with using only the barbell to insure that your form is perfect. The next time you do the same lift (ie, Squat on Mon, Wed, Fri) you add 5 lb to the bar (or more if you're ready to progress). Stick w/ it and the weight adds up pretty quickly!

K

You don't go to my gym then :bigsmile:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Primary
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press (Or Incline Press)
    Overhead Press
    Row

Secondary/Bodyweight
    Pushups
    Pullups (or Lat Pulldown)
    Dips
    Planks

Those are solid movements and could, if you were so inclined, make up your entire workout and you would see fantastic results. Pick a weight where you can do somewhere between 4 and 12 reps but no more (some people like doing more, it's generally accepted that working in lower rep ranges improves strength faster). When you can complete your rep goals, increase the weight.

For the body weight movements, do lots.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I started doing kickboxing with 10lb weights, then 30DS with 5lb hand weights. Then I moved right into 5x5 Stronglifts. ~2 months later I'm dead lifting 115 and squatting 95.
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lift with my hubby following the workout he's been using for months now. He's really toned up. I lift 10 reps x 3 or 4 gradually moving as high as I can. Sometimes my last set might be only 6 reps. I love it. Did my first set of dead lifts yesterday :).
  • Holly2232
    Options

K

You don't go to my gym then :bigsmile:

You are at the wrong gym! We have tons of girls lifting heavy!:glasses:
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options

^^ Absolutely! I wholeheartedly recommend NROLFW! I just finished phase one and I have to say I'm really impressed with how far I've come. The book is awesome for lifting newbies, stresses good form, but also reminds you that just because your a girl doesn't mean you should underestimate how much you can lift (in good form of course) I've been pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've gained strength using the program in the book. Added bonus (at least for me) doing the program gives you the added benefit of really looking like you KNOW what you're doing (because you DO!) and that definitely gives me the confidence to bust right into the free weight section of my gym, whether it's over-crowded by boys lifting heavy things or not :wink: Feel free to add me. I love acquiring extra lifting buds :)
  • aaronburgess
    aaronburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts on here. I think the same training rules apply for everyone. Vary your resistance and reps. Somedays go heavy and the other lighter. Somedays go to failure or do declining sets. Do what you are comfortable with but just be consistent and make sure you hit all your major muscle groups during the week. When going heavy, remember to especially focus on good form or you risk injury. Go slowly and if you feel discomfort stop!

But no matter the weight, consistency is the key.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for a while but my shoulders are still pretty weak. I can't do full sets of most things with more than 10 lbs and I started at five. The right weight for you is what you can do with good form for 3 sets of 8-12 reps (personally I think lower reps is better) but you can't do much more than that. It helps to write everything down so you keep track of how much you've been lifting and when you last upped the weight or reps.

It depends on the exercises. I can curl or row more than I can press because those muscles can just handle more. Nobody expects you to lift 50 lbs over your head on the first day.