Not losing weight??

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back exercise calories? If you were losing at 1,200 calories before exercise and now you're not losing with add'l exercise, this is usually a sure sign that you are not eating back your exercise calories and therefore have created a deficit that is too large. Remember, that 1,200 calorie goal already a HUGE caloric deficit in it. If you're not eating back exercise calories, you're creating a Grand Canyon sized deficit for your body.

When you have too large a deficit, your body goes into metabolic stall to defend itself. This means that it will store, rather than burn fat. This is why most people who do the 1,200 calorie thing and then don't eat back their exercise calories lose early on and then quickly go into plateau. Plateau is not uncommon when eating at any deficit, but they come much quicker with massive calorie deficits. I've been at a deficit for about 4 months and have just started my first plateau. In response, I'm upping my calorie intake for a week or two to TDEE - 10% rather than - 20% to reset a little. I may just keep it there as I only have 15ish - 20Lbs to go. It will be slow, but I shouldn't hit another plateau with that small a deficit I don't think.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Per your diary, you are undereating. 1200 is probably too low, but you are not even NETTING 1200, which would include eating back exercise calories. MFP already has a sizeable deficit and making it greater can be counterproductive.

this

QFT

There are a TON of people on the boards saying they're eating at most 1200 cals (NOT net) and exercising like mad and not losing weight. I see a trend here.

I net 1500 a day, eat my exercise cals (most if not all) and have been losing consistently with no problem, AND am fuelled properly so I can kick my workouts' *kitten*.
  • 33le
    33le Posts: 11
    Options
    Great advice!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone can answer this for me... do you havr to eat back the calories you've burned off? I thought if you don't it just means that's more calories you're down and closer to losing weight

MFP already has a deficit built into your calorie goal based on whatever information you put in. Hence, MFP expects you to eat your exercise calories back...you don't need to exercise to create a caloric deficit using the MFP method...the deficit is already there. Creating too large a deficit has the opposite effect of what is intended...you actually go into metabolic stall and your body will shut down "non-essential" functions to preserve energy. You will store fat rather than burn it. Your body will also go after your lean body mass for energy rather than fat stores when too large a deficit has been created.

When you log exercise, you will notice that MFP resets your calorie goal. It is in fact, a goal...something to be achieved, not undershot or overshot. Just make sure you're getting as accurate a calorie burn as possible...if you are unsure, eat back 70-80% of them. Better bet is to get a HRM and just deduct your BMR calories for whatever amount of time you did the exercise.

This problem is exactly why I often plead with people not to over train...unless you're training for some specific endurance event and know how to properly fuel your body, you don't need to be doing a bazillion hours of cardio and burning 600+ calories per day or whatever. 30-45 minutes 3-5x per week is all you really need to increase your overall fitness level and heart health.