Eating every couple of hours??

Options
My husband swears by eating every couple of hours and I'm of the mindset that I'll eat when I'm hungry. I don't always eat first thing in the morning, most days its about 11 or 11:30. But by the end of the day, I do have all my calories in minus about half of my workout calories. Do you find that it's better to his way? Or does it matter when you eat?

Replies

• jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    every few hours here, never liked eating before, its starting to get to me
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    My 17 year old son tells me that I should 5 times a day including dinner, which I often skip. I eat a good breakfast at the same time every morning and then snack on fruit before and after my regularly time lunch. I find that this works for me.
  • bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. I need to eat every few hours or my blood sugar crashes, but my husband could go all day without eating and not even notice! Sounds like you are doing the right thing by listening to your body.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whatever works better for you. Personally, I like eating a bit more often... if I let myself get really hungry I'll eat everything in the house. But bigger picture, as long as you are hitting your calorie/macro goals, it doesn't matter if you eat every hour or if you eat 1 big meal at 11pm.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

I eat every few hours now.. but I do it becuase if I don't I will forget to eat and completly miss my goal.

I find I do feel better when I eat more often and when I eat in the morning and when I eat more in the morning. Although I am currently trying to spread it out a little more because I work out in the afternoon.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I like eating 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. My problem before was that I would wait too long in between meals and end up binging. This keeps me in check and I eat when I start to get hungry, not when I'm absolutely ravenous. I've had a lot of success with this, but it's totally personal preference.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was one who never ate, I could go all day and not notice, hubby would come home and ask if I'd eaten and often the answer was no (even though I was feeding kids). Since I started having a protein shake in the morning, I forced myself for a long time to eat every few hours (I couldn't make my calorie intake otherwise) now I am getting that little hunger pang every few hours, so my metabolism is starting to pick up. That is just me though, I have to retrain myself as I pretty much killed my metabolic rate with ED as a teen.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It really does not matter when you eat. There is the old diet myth of 6-8 small meals a day but it is just that...a myth. Eat in whatever manner works best for you where you don't get hungry. You and your husband may be on the same page or totally different, every body works differently. For me, I prefer three meals a day with dinner being the biggest meal, plus a couple of light snacks throughout the day.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 a day, works great. I don't feel right when I eat larger meals anymore. Had a crazy big breakfast last weekend at about 8am. Felt full, and like absolute CRAP for most of the rest of the day. Went for a run at 6pm (still no more food), and ate a sadad at about 8. Crappy day. I'll keep my 5-6 meal routine going because it works for me.
  • marj4542
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to eat every couple of hours. Keeps your metabolism running on high and tends to help with over eating.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours keeps your metabolism running. It is a good way to stay healthy and lose weight.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to eat every couple of hours. Keeps your metabolism running on high and tends to help with over eating.
    Doesn't do anything for your metabolism. It might help with over eating though. Just eat when you want and stay under your calorie goal. Your body doesn't care what time it is or how often you are eating.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours and still lose weight. To each their own.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your lifestyle and allows you to reach your calorie and exercise goals is what you should do. Whether it be 50 cals every 30 minutes, 300 cals every 3 hours, 500 cals every 5 hours, or a one a day trough of baked beans with a dead dog at each end for garnish.

There's no point in trying to eat six meals a day if the reality is that it means it doesn't fit your lifestyle and you end up missing meals and then overeating at the next one. Tell your son and husband that just because it works for them, doesn't mean it works for you, and you'll get your calories your way.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Whatever works better for you. Personally, I like eating a bit more often... if I let myself get really hungry I'll eat everything in the house. But bigger picture, as long as you are hitting your calorie/macro goals, it doesn't matter if you eat every hour or if you eat 1 big meal at 11pm.

^^^ agree completely

I lost all my weight eating only between the hours of 2pm and 11pm. Do whatever makes sticking with your plan the easiest.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    you should eat 3 main meals every day and Breakfast IS the MOST important! Then 3 snacks in between.

read Forks Over Knives.
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. I need to eat every few hours or my blood sugar crashes, but my husband could go all day without eating and not even notice! Sounds like you are doing the right thing by listening to your body.

Same here!
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did the not eating exercise calories back, only eating when I was hungry thing and I did lose weight but there were times when I would get light headed and have no energy. Now that I do eat back most of my exercise calories and eat 5 times a day I no longer get the side effects and the weight is still coming off. If you are experiencing this I would say eat, even if it is small.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think it varies from person to person. For me, I need to eat every couple of hours or my blood sugar crashes. I have gotten used to having 3 meals and 2 snacks everyday. I also make sure I drink enough water, too.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think one way is better than the other. We're all different. Do what works for you.