Exercises to target belly fat loss

Options

Replies

• Mane1972
    Mane1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WOW! I thought all this was to help out others and instead its all negativity about the one who posted the topic. Glad I dont have any of you on my friends list. I think it was an awesome topic and I understand wheres shes coming from but looks like everyone read into it way to much and turned it all around. People shouldnt comment if all you have to say is negative stuff.

Exactly
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    WOW! I thought all this was to help out others and instead its all negativity about the one who posted the topic. Glad I dont have any of you on my friends list. I think it was an awesome topic and I understand wheres shes coming from but looks like everyone read into it way to much and turned it all around. People shouldnt comment if all you have to say is negative stuff.

No. It was straightforward. There was nothing to read into or "turn around".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean it's negative or intended to hurt the OP. And many of the responses were 100%. You can NOT target body fat and only a constant calorie deficit will help you achieve abs. While it's easy to read out of context when someone says, I know you can't spot reduce but.... You have to understand where we are all coming from.

Also have you ever heard... "I don't mean to insult you but.... " Isn't it always an insult that follows it?
  • Mane1972
    Options

Bull. A lot of people on here have holier - than - thou attitudes , and they come off as just plain rude.
  • talithag
    Options
    To tighten abs --- planking.
    To lose belly fat --- diet

This.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Bull. A lot of people on here have holier - than - thou attitudes , and they come off as just plain rude.

Like you, for instance
  • Mane1972
    Options

Like you, for instance

That is so ridiculous...care to explain?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

"I know you can't spot reduce (i.e. I know you can't target a location for fat loss) but what exercises target belly fat loss (it's in the thread title)"

"You can't, eat right and exercise"

"Why do people have to turn around what you say and be such a**es about everything"

"ummmmmm"
  • snightingale27
    snightingale27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem area and haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it works. I just finished listening to the presentation from the link at the top of this page to "5 Foods never to Eat." It is an advertisement for an eating program, but it has some very good advise with the scientific explanation behind why it works. They say that you shouldn't eat things like muffins, whole wheat bread, orange juice, pasta, some cereals, etc. because they turn into sugar when they are digested. They said to stay away from all processed foods and stick to one ingredient foods, like steak, chicken, sweet potatoes (but they did say add a little butter and cinnamon to it), fruits, vegetables, breads made with sprouted grain or rice, nuts, rice, etc. They also said something about eating fats is not all bad, either, you just have to choose the right fats, like olive oil, eggs, nuts, etc., and they will actually help you lose fat. I can't repeat exactly why they said it works, but they said that if you choose the right foods, stop counting calories, eat enough of these foods to keep you from being hungry (as long as you don't go overboard), you will actually lose fat. I'm going to try it and will let you know if it works. I also watched a Dr. Oz segment about taking 100 mg of raspberry ketones, and it somehow tricks your body into thinking it is thin and increases your metabolism and decreases your fat. Again, I don't know if it works, but I am going to try it along with eating good foods and exercising, which is what he recommends. It isn't a miracle pill and should be taken with good diet and exercise. I know you asked for exercises, but I think with good diet and exercise in general, you should lose inches over your entire body. I hope so anyway!:smile:
  • Donie212
    Options
    Elbow-to-Knee Twisting (or Bicycle Crunch) and The Reverse Crunch are very effective! I personally find Planking difficult but if you can do those, there are all sorts of Planks that can be done to tone the core. Good luck!
  • Mane1972
    Options

"I know you can't spot reduce (i.e. I know you can't target a location for fat loss) but what exercises target belly fat loss (it's in the thread title)"

"You can't, eat right and exercise"

"Why do people have to turn around what you say and be such a**es about everything"

"ummmmmm"

.???
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    HIIT preferably with weights eg burpess holding 2 x 10kg dumbbells going at it full speed rather than a half-hearted squat/extend/squat/jump 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off. If you don't feel like vomiting after 20 minutes, you're not lifting/moving hard enough. Probably more effective at shifting fat than anything else.

Running has potential assuming it's not plod-plod-plod-plod like most "runners" I see. SPRINT 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off. If you don't feel like dying after 10 minutes, you're not sprinting. Imagine the Usain Bolt zombie is chasing you and wants to eat your brains.

Or how about dumbbell clean and press with 10kg dbs? 10/10/10. Boom... vomit!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Definitely try HIIT (high intensity interval training), noticed a difference in my body fat when I upped the intensity of my cardio.

Do 1 minute at high intensity, then recover for the second minute. Repeat for 50 minutes.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too. How do you eliminate belly fat without looking emaciated everywhere else? Obviously some people are able to do it. My core is nice and tight and the rest of my body is almost too thin, but that layer of belly fat just won't go away.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem area and haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it works. I just finished listening to the presentation from the link at the top of this page to "5 Foods never to Eat." It is an advertisement for an eating program, but it has some very good advise with the scientific explanation behind why it works. They say that you shouldn't eat things like muffins, whole wheat bread, orange juice, pasta, some cereals, etc. because they turn into sugar when they are digested. They said to stay away from all processed foods and stick to one ingredient foods, like steak, chicken, sweet potatoes (but they did say add a little butter and cinnamon to it), fruits, vegetables, breads made with sprouted grain or rice, nuts, rice, etc. They also said something about eating fats is not all bad, either, you just have to choose the right fats, like olive oil, eggs, nuts, etc., and they will actually help you lose fat. I can't repeat exactly why they said it works, but they said that if you choose the right foods, stop counting calories, eat enough of these foods to keep you from being hungry (as long as you don't go overboard), you will actually lose fat. I'm going to try it and will let you know if it works. I also watched a Dr. Oz segment about taking 100 mg of raspberry ketones, and it somehow tricks your body into thinking it is thin and increases your metabolism and decreases your fat. Again, I don't know if it works, but I am going to try it along with eating good foods and exercising, which is what he recommends. It isn't a miracle pill and should be taken with good diet and exercise. I know you asked for exercises, but I think with good diet and exercise in general, you should lose inches over your entire body. I hope so anyway!:smile:

So, you're going to give up counting calories (while using a site that promotes counting calories) in order to take the advice of an advertisement you happened to click on?

Not trying to be mean, but I'm not sure that's going to work out so well for you.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 2nd week of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I measured this morning and have lost and inch off my abdomen (2" below belly button) So far it's been mostly dead-lifts, squats and lunges and balance ball work. NO actual stomach targeted exercises. Your body takes fat from where ever it it wants, but these are good all-around exercises for the entire body. This and lots of protein.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    To everyone who is saying I contradict myself, obviously you're not actually reading into my question. I know there's no such thing as spot reducing! Like I stated diet is the main key. So tell me when my diet is good and I have a crappy workout routine, am I suppose to see result? No! I'm simply asking what kinds of exercises are out there that have helped others and are good for burning calories and amp up cardio.

You aren't getting the answer you are looking for because your first post does say that you are looking for exercises that target belly fat. FACT.

Now since you are looking for good calorie burners...mountain climbers, burpees, jumping jacks....to name a few...running, walking, swimming...I mean seriously...what are you into, what activities do you enjoy? Hiking, climbing, racing....There are no limits!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    .???

You asked what he meant by the holier-than-thou rebuttal. Folks were saying it's not possible, that their aren't exercises out there that target belly fat loss, that exercise doesn't work like that. Throwing back that they're so mean and were twisting the OP's words and that you're glad their not on your friend's list (I know you didn't make that claim, but you did agree with it) when those people were trying to help and steer the OP away from wasting time on stuff that won't give the results she's looking for is precisely a holier-than-thou attitude.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Okay first off I KNOW there's no such thing as spot reduction! I know there's no exercise to specifically burn belly fat and that diet is the main issue to lose belly fat along with cardio. That's not what I'm asking. I wanna know different exercises that are known, or you do, that are effective for burning fat? What exercises burn more calories to help burn lower belly fat? (Burpees are more effective than curls...I wanna know exercises not diet)

*******there I changed the wording if this makes more sense*********

As you stated diet is the primary belly burner. Also , workouts that keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone like HITT routines will increase your body's desire to burn fuel.
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a really good trainer. I have one and he is awesome. He tells me what to do and I do it. I don't have to think about anything except what I am eating.