Exercises to target belly fat loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too. How do you eliminate belly fat without looking emaciated everywhere else? Obviously some people are able to do it. My core is nice and tight and the rest of my body is almost too thin, but that layer of belly fat just won't go away.

You need a good strength-training program. You can lose weight all you want, but if you don't build or at least maintain your muscle, you're going to look deflated. Lifting builds the muscle that give you that healthy look you want and will assist in eliminating that last stubborn belly fat. Check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    metabolic conditioning will give you cardio and endurance and and you will keep the lean muscle while you torch fat in a major way
  • snightingale27
    snightingale27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on this topic, but I have done a lot of research because I don't want to waste time on trying different things that don't work. I usually look for things that are backed up scientifically and that make sense to me. I am just starting trying to lose weight and get in shape again, so I am not telling you this from personal experience (yet:smile: ), but alternating your exercise program every other day or every other week is supposed to help keep your metabolism up so that your body doesn't get used to your workout. Also, brisk walking is supposed to target belly fat. You are supposed to walk at a brisk pace and could add some arm movements or speed up for short bursts of a minute or so, and then go back to your original pace. That will help speed up your metabolism, which helps burn fat.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike, and I just started 30 day shred. Planking is good too. I would just move whenever you can, cardio is really the key. Do something you like, dancing, walking, running. Just move that butt! haha If you find something that you really like then you are more likely to do it more often.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this too. How do you eliminate belly fat without looking emaciated everywhere else? Obviously some people are able to do it. My core is nice and tight and the rest of my body is almost too thin, but that layer of belly fat just won't go away.

You need a good strength-training program. You can lose weight all you want, but if you don't build or at least maintain your muscle, you're going to look deflated. Lifting builds the muscle that give you that healthy look you want and will assist in eliminating that last stubborn belly fat. Check out "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler.

I do barre which incorporates a lot of strength training and lifting.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    .???

You asked what he meant by the holier-than-thou rebuttal. Folks were saying it's not possible, that their aren't exercises out there that target belly fat loss, that exercise doesn't work like that. Throwing back that they're so mean and were twisting the OP's words and that you're glad their not on your friend's list (I know you didn't make that claim, but you did agree with it) when those people were trying to help and steer the OP away from wasting time on stuff that won't give the results she's looking for is precisely a holier-than-thou attitude.

I was driving to work. Thanks rtalencar85.

I can't believe it really takes 5 pages to convince people that spot reduction isn't possible, even when the OP herself starts out with the premise that it's not possible. And then the meta-commentary that people are holier than thou, etc.

It's like a well played troll thread, except, it's real.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    .???

You asked what he meant by the holier-than-thou rebuttal. Folks were saying it's not possible, that their aren't exercises out there that target belly fat loss, that exercise doesn't work like that. Throwing back that they're so mean and were twisting the OP's words and that you're glad their not on your friend's list (I know you didn't make that claim, but you did agree with it) when those people were trying to help and steer the OP away from wasting time on stuff that won't give the results she's looking for is precisely a holier-than-thou attitude.

I was driving to work. Thanks rtalencar85.

I can't believe it really takes 5 pages to convince people that spot reduction isn't possible, even when the OP herself starts out with the premise that it's not possible. And then the meta-commentary that people are holier than thou, etc.

It's like a well played troll thread, except, it's real.

For the record, I don't think Taso was being a jerk when he commented on the OP. The OP did contradict herself.

Now, OP, while I see that you contradicted yourself, I also understand that what you meant perhaps was that you want a flat belly, you know you can't spot reduce, so you want to reduce over all body fat because you want to get rid of that belly. I can understand that.

My advice is obviously to watch what you eat in terms of calories and macros.

but as far as exercise goes, whatever you do, make sure you do it with intensity. If you lift weights, lift seriously. If you do cardio, do HIIT. Intervals in anything with high intensity will get results. But i cant' stress enough the eating properly.

ETA: I do think the poster who said "i'm glad none of you are on my friends list" was pretty rude.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Well, in that case, I say just keep at it and be patient. I agree with the person who said "Whatever you do, do it with intensity" and eat a balanced healthy diet. I hear (as I'm not there yet) that the last little bit is always the hardest'
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay first off I KNOW there's no such thing as spot reduction! I know there's no exercise to specifically burn belly fat and that diet is the main issue to lose belly fat along with cardio. That's not what I'm asking. I wanna know different exercises that are known, or you do, that are effective for burning fat? What exercises burn more calories to help burn lower belly fat? (Burpees are more effective than curls...I wanna know exercises not diet)

*******there I changed the wording if this makes more sense*********

As you stated diet is the primary belly burner. Also , workouts that keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone like HITT routines will increase your body's desire to burn fuel.

Believe it or not, but the zone thing is a myth too. Below is a good article on it.

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html
  • Mane1972
    Mane1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    .???

Correct. I didn't write that. Agreeing with someone that people here can be nasty in no way makes me holier than thou. It makes me sad people can't be a little nicer for honest questions, not just this thread, many of them.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Okay first off I KNOW there's no such thing as spot reduction! I know there's no exercise to specifically burn belly fat and that diet is the main issue to lose belly fat along with cardio. That's not what I'm asking. I wanna know different exercises that are known, or you do, that are effective for burning fat? What exercises burn more calories to help burn lower belly fat? (Burpees are more effective than curls...I wanna know exercises not diet)

As you stated diet is the primary belly burner. Also , workouts that keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone like HITT routines will increase your body's desire to burn fuel.

Believe it or not, but the zone thing is a myth too. Below is a good article on it.

http://www.alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

Alsom HIIT does not keep the heart rate in the so called fat burning zone. It's the opposite of that. The benefit comes from increased thermogenic effect post workout and appetite suppresion among other factors. And you don't have to stay on a boring machine for hours at a time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Alsom HIIT does not keep the heart rate in the so called fat burning zone. It's the opposite of that. The benefit comes from increased thermogenic effect post workout and appetite suppresion among other factors. And you don't have to stay on a boring machine for hours at a time.

Oh I know HIIT is great to get an EPOC effect and I can tell you when I do HIIT, it definitely does NOT suppress my appetite. I am hungry like a horse most days after my training. And since it burns more calories during and post workout, I get to eat more so I am happy. But even with HIIT, it won't target any specific type of fat loss but it does help muscle retention.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

Oh I know HIIT is great to get an EPOC effect and I can tell you when I do HIIT, it definitely does NOT suppress my appetite. I am hungry like a horse most days after my training. And since it burns more calories during and post workout, I get to eat more so I am happy. But even with HIIT, it won't target any specific type of fat loss but it does help muscle retention.

HIIT magically removes fat from the part of the body you feel most insecure about. That's what my trainer told me, and he went to broscience school. :sarcasm:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

It's not really the same thing (although beneficial)

If you get to a too low of a body fat but still have a 'problem' area, the best thing to do is to build muscle to 'support' a lower body fat %. To build muscle you need a progressive loading strength training routine and, after the few pounds of newbie gains are used up, you need to eat at a surplus. Basically doing a bulk/cut cycle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem area and haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it works. I just finished listening to the presentation from the link at the top of this page to "5 Foods never to Eat." It is an advertisement for an eating program, but it has some very good advise with the scientific explanation behind why it works. They say that you shouldn't eat things like muffins, whole wheat bread, orange juice, pasta, some cereals, etc. because they turn into sugar when they are digested. They said to stay away from all processed foods and stick to one ingredient foods, like steak, chicken, sweet potatoes (but they did say add a little butter and cinnamon to it), fruits, vegetables, breads made with sprouted grain or rice, nuts, rice, etc. They also said something about eating fats is not all bad, either, you just have to choose the right fats, like olive oil, eggs, nuts, etc., and they will actually help you lose fat. I can't repeat exactly why they said it works, but they said that if you choose the right foods, stop counting calories, eat enough of these foods to keep you from being hungry (as long as you don't go overboard), you will actually lose fat. I'm going to try it and will let you know if it works. I also watched a Dr. Oz segment about taking 100 mg of raspberry ketones, and it somehow tricks your body into thinking it is thin and increases your metabolism and decreases your fat. Again, I don't know if it works, but I am going to try it along with eating good foods and exercising, which is what he recommends. It isn't a miracle pill and should be taken with good diet and exercise. I know you asked for exercises, but I think with good diet and exercise in general, you should lose inches over your entire body. I hope so anyway!:smile:

#1 Not necessary unless you have an intolerance or metabolic disorder for which limiting carbs would be beneficial

#2 No it does not.

The eating good foods and exercising does, assuming you are at a caloric deficit.
  • kittiebittie
    kittiebittie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing? :D