What happens if you eat too much protein or carbs?

I am finding it hard to get 1200 calories in a day. Some days though I tend to go way over on carbs or my proteins, yet I am still under 1200 calories.

What happens when you eat more carbs than your total daily intake yet you aren't hitting the full 1200 calories? I am used to doing WW so I never watched carb vs protein intake.

Replies

• Your body will turn those carbs into sugar from what I understand of that
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    I believe that some people have said that the protein is set low on the site, so I wouldn't worry to much on going over it. I'm not sure on carbs though. I think the main thing to look at is the calories in verses calories out.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Too much protein isn't gonna hurt ya. If anything, it's good for ya. Too much carbs will cause you to gain weight IF you're in a calorie surplus. If you've managed to maintain a deficit with a bunch of carbs then no big deal.

If you're having trouble hittting 1200 cals then perhaps you're not eating enough fat in your diet. Try eating more cashews, peanuts/peanut butter, hummus, flaxseeds, etc.

As for protien, plenty of tuna, chicken should do the trick.

Carbs, go for lots of vegetables and fruits
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    simple answer- excess calories turns to fat if you go over your caloric requirements. so it depends on calorie needs and if you go over the total amount. (ie. BMR 2000 calories you eat 2500 you will have fat gain regardless if you eat more protein or carbohydrates, the opposite is also true, 1500 calories consumed you will have fat loss regardless of proteins or carbs)

complicated answer- ideally for the body to preserve muscle mass you have to calculate a few numbers to find out basic maconutrient guidelines. roughly you want 1g per lb of lean body mass for protein and around .25 of your bodyweight for fat at a bare minimum to retain muscle

take my macros for example... roughly.. 220c/190p/50f for a 2200 caloric goal (not sure if it adds up or not just example)... now those protein and fat requirements are the minimum and the carb intake is the maximum... so for a day if i go.. 170c/240p/50f then im fine... but if i go 280c/130p/50f i havent reached the minimum requirements for my body to retain muscle mass because of the lack of protein.. tracking macros isnt day by day either its over a long period of time of consistency to see results.
  • allykat0320
    allykat0320 Posts: 14 Member
    a useful and non-idiotic reply. thanks for taking the time to post this.