Are you really losing weight by counting calories?

Options

Replies

• TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    once upon a time I lost a lot of weight by tracking food and calories.

I found I started naturally making better food choices b/c I was going to be starving if I ate tiny amounts of high calorie foods rather than lots of low calorie foods.

example: I'd eat a HUGE salad (veggies only) with 2 tbsp of vinagerette (measuring b/c it's easy to put way to much dressing on a big salad) and then eat small portion of lean meat and brown rice.

I got full, calories stayed low.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yes. Calorie counting + exercise = success.

Height: 5'7
    Starting weight: Somewhere around 157 lbs.
    Current weight: About 130 lbs.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is YES here, but be mindful of the quality of foods.

Yes, Calories In < Calories out = weight loss, but if you're aiming for a healthy, long term resullt and maybe eventually tone up, it's much more than the number.

I've just met with a nutritionist last night. She was explaining to me that we can often get too caught up with the caloric numbers and that it's better to have a 300 calorie meal/snack that is balanced between protein and carbs vs having that 90-calories cereal bar. She says, with nutritious foods, we feel fuller longer, and at the end of the day, you end up consuming the same amount of calories within your MFP budget because you are eating smaller portions of these nutritious, more satisfying foods. Makes sense, every time I have one of my "low-calorie snacks," Im hungry and hour and a half later.

I'm also a HUGE fan of never depriving yourself, like LoraF83 says. Enjoy the things you love, but in moderation. It's all about balance. I may have an extra glass of wine (or two), but that just means I have to work out harder the next day, or balance out my meal choices across the rest of the day.

Hope this helps...
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes, but remember that part of it is seeing what types of food you're eating to fill those calories. For example, my personal trainer (and there is not just one perfect way for everyone) mentioned that instead of caring so much about overall calories, to focus on making my goals for each category.

For example, he said carbs will always be the biggest part but to make sure protein comes second and fat is third in my intake.

Like I said, this may just be for me, but I think all calorie counting and exercising benefits from good balance.

Don't forget about hydrating yourself! I only drink coffee, water and juice but sometimes don't get as much water as I need and when I do, it makes a HUGE difference.

Good luck with your goals!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

I don't lose weight by counting the calories.

I lose weight by eating less of them.

:drinker: :laugh:
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Yep!

SW 201
    CW 146.5
  • brittneysegel
    Options
    Counting calories just shows you that things that are advertised as "healthy" can still be bad and sometimes what you think is a good choice is actually not. For example, the other day I was super hungry and at costco, I got a chicken ceaser salad and only used half of the dressing but still had the croutons and the cheese that was on it. I have a calorie goal of 1500 calories a day and that one salad came out to be 700 calories! I had to work out to be able to eat dinner without going over BECAUSE OF A SALAD!!!! It really made me realize that just eating what you think is healthy isn't enough, you have to really learn portions and calorie levels
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes. To lose weight, you must know what you are putting into your body. The quote, "Losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise." is true
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem as simple as calories in/calories out for me. At 1320 calories per day, I should be losing weight. I'm not. I've been losing and re-gaining the same 3 pounds for 6 weeks now. For 5 weeks of that, I was on 1200 calories per day.

But I'm still logging and making the very best choices that I can, also slowly increasing my activity. I find it hard to exercise while I'm dieting because exercise stimulates my appetite to a ridiculous degree, but I know I need it.
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise?

Well, technically... by exercise, counting calories and eating below maintenance. Tracking my food has also made me learn more about not only the calorie content of different foods, but also about their nutritional value. That has definitely led me to better eating habits and not only weight loss.

Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision?

Definitely. I am much better at portion control now. Best of all, it has definitely helped me in building and following a nutrition plan that is healthy and fits my likes and lifestyle. As an added bonus, MFP´s food database has also helped me improve my English vocabulary (I'm not a native speaker).

What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories?

Log everything and log honestly. See what makes me go over and be mindful of that. Eat more foods that are of low calorie density and high nutritional value.

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories?

SW: 205
    CW: 157
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've only just started in 2013 but am losing weight. Reducing your net calories in vs calories out is how we lose weight. Personally I AM making healthier decisions counting calories. For example, I can chose to eat a large apple or one cookie for an afternoon snack. Most of the time I will chose the more filling and fullfilling apple. Making healthy food choices means I can eat more because unhealthy food tends to be calorie dense. Exercising earns me more to eat. I'm no genius, but the easier way to do this is to have a healthier diet.
  • sjanney007
    Options
    For me, counting calories helps tremendously. I just didn't realize how many calories I was consuming before. It's so easy to take a bite here and there and not think anything about it, but those little bites add up....quickly! Year before last I started counting my calories. I also started exercising. I lost 49 lbs fairly quick. My life got a little hectic and I stopped counting calories for a while....needless to say, some of the weight crept back on. I promised myself to make this a lifestyle, this time around...yes, I have treats here and there (gotta have my chocolate) but again, the weight is starting to come off. Counting calories has also made me aware of the kinds of foods that I'm putting into my body. I eat better quality foods now. My health is just as important as my looks. Good luck!!!
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Starting weight: 357
    Current weight: 308

I've been using MFP since May (ignore my join date - I created a new account).

After a while, it gets easy to keep track of calories. I find I eat a lot of the same things every day, and I have their calorie counts nearly memorized. I still log them, though, just to make sure I don't go over. It's habit now. I plan to continue tracking when I hit maintenance because I don't want to gain weight. Plus, it's such a habit now that I get twitchy if I don't log everything before the end of the day. I tend to pre-log so I can plan my meals.

It's taught me a LOT about portion control. I also realized, early on, that some foods I thought were low-calorie were actually super high, whereas foods I thought were really high were actually kind of low. Logging taught me that you shouldn't be fooled by commercials, packaging, and the latest "X food is evil" propaganda.

Logging also taught me that, even though I thought I "wasn't eating that much" when I was 357, I really was. I didn't eat a lot of food, but the food I ate was really high in calories, carbs, sodium, and fat. I thought I was eating around 2500 calories per day, but I was really eating closer to 5000 or 6000. If I binged, I could hit upward of 8000. That terrifies me now, but it was the norm back then.

There are some days, usually after weight training, that I feel very hungry all day, even if I eat a lot of protein and fiber. I've learned that I can go over by 200 - 300 on those days because I'll make up for it other days, when I tend to stay below my calorie goal. The app shows your calories by week and your average for the week. As long as that number is still in the green/grey, I'm fine. It's been working for me for a long time. I really like using the app for that very reason.
  • DaniAni19
    DaniAni19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is YES here, but be mindful of the quality of foods.

Yes, Calories In < Calories out = weight loss, but if you're aiming for a healthy, long term resullt and maybe eventually tone up, it's much more than the number.

I've just met with a nutritionist last night. She was explaining to me that we can often get too caught up with the caloric numbers and that it's better to have a 300 calorie meal/snack that is balanced between protein and carbs vs having that 90-calories cereal bar. She says, with nutritious foods, we feel fuller longer, and at the end of the day, you end up consuming the same amount of calories within your MFP budget because you are eating smaller portions of these nutritious, more satisfying foods. Makes sense, every time I have one of my "low-calorie snacks," Im hungry and hour and a half later.

I'm also a HUGE fan of never depriving yourself, like LoraF83 says. Enjoy the things you love, but in moderation. It's all about balance. I may have an extra glass of wine (or two), but that just means I have to work out harder the next day, or balance out my meal choices across the rest of the day.

Hope this helps...

Exactly! I'm glad you talked about not all calories being created equally.

I have been logging for about 3 weeks, I'm not so concerned with eating the exact amount of calories a day, I log mostly to keep track of my protein consumption and for accountability. I keep my diary public and the thought of logging a binge publicly keeps me on track. haha

I went into this as a lifestyle change, so I am eating as clean as possible. Avoiding processed/packaged food. If I go over in calories, I don't beat myself up because the extra calories are from real food, not processed junk and I'm still losing weight! I am just starting, but I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm not exercising yet, but will start soon. Hope this helps!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So, I have a similar question... for you who lost using only the calorie counting method. Did you use the calculator here on MFP to arrive at your "goal calorie" Intake? Do they differ at different sites?
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    We have a non-believer....It's free so give it a try for 2 months. set yourself up to lose 1lb/wk. count the calories you eat and what your expending. if your lower on the intake my bet is you'll have a smile at the end of month 2. Take measurments and pics before you start, because its addicting and you'll wish you had. Give it shot....what's to lose (except weight). Guarantee you at the end of week one you'll be sleeping better. I haven't remembered dreaming in over 2 years. by the end of the first week......dreaming like a baby.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? - YES

Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? - YES. That is why you log! So if by 4:00 you are starving but have used up all your calories, you need to go back & study what you ate. For me it was replacing my favorite Chipotle burrito with a salad, or eat my sandwhich as a lettuce wrap instead of with the bread. I needed more of my calories from protein, less from carbs (I am a recovery carbaholic). I learned that a pop-tart is SO NOT worth its calories. Yogurt is WAY BETTER & more fulfilling than ice cream. I try to keep grapes & radishes to snack on instead of potato chips.

What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? - I log what I eat and I have a goal to end the day at or under calories. After you get in the habit, you just know what you need to do & what you need to feed your body to hit your daily goal.

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories?
    I've been a MFP for a couple of years. I've had some success, but then would get content & "proud of myself" and stopped logging and returned to old eating habits thus gaining it all back. On Sept 2012, I finally got it - I'm choosing a fit lifestyle:
    SW 188
    CW 167
    GW 140
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, I have a similar question... for you who lost using only the calorie counting method. Did you use the calculator here on MFP to arrive at your "goal calorie" Intake? Do they differ at different sites?
    They differ because MFP puts you at a base level of calories based upon your normal daily activity level (minus exercise), then expects you to eat back the calories you burn exercising. Many other sites factor exercise into your daily base calorie level.

A different method that some use here is detailed in Helloitsdan's "In Place of a Roadmap" post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In this method, you calculate your total daily calorie burn (with exercise and activity included), then take a straight cut from it. The catch is that you need to be honest about your daily activity levels (and stick to them), or you could be consuming too many (or too few) calories.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs calorie counting and exercise. I now am trying to lose body fat % and get toned and build muscles so I'm eating cleaner and making better food choices... but I did lose weight by just calorie counting and eating what I wanted!