Looking to get into juicing

Options
In an effort to increase my veggie and fruit intake, as well as substitute other types of snacks and reduce my carb intake, I'm looking to start juicing . Just wondering if anyone else has taken this route and has any suggestions, recommendations or other information about how it went for you and things to look out for. What I really want to know is where can I find information about what juice recopies to use to compliment or improve my current diet? Do you have any favorite juice recipes? How do you use juices to provide nutrients you don't get from your typical (solid food) diet?

Thanks,
Dave

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Go to jointhereboot.com. That will have a ton of information for you. If you have netflix watch fat sick and nearly dead. It gives you a lot of information. I just got off of a 14 day juice fast. I lost 11 lbs and felt amazing! I have been maintaining the weight by eating right and exercising. I believe in it 100% and will do it over and over again. Feel free to add me and message me if you have any questions!
  • TerriAnne53
    TerriAnne53 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I bought the nutri bullet. it is fantastic. I put 2 different fruits and a glass of 1% milk or almond milk and mix it up. it is my daily breakfast. delicious. There is a recipe book that comes with it and you can do fruits, veggies whatever. It is a good way to get your fruits and green veggies-kale, spinach or whatever. there are receipes that mix the fruits and veggies together as well. the nutri bullet is one fantastic machine. I really appreciate having it in my household.
  • GoneKona
    Options
    Look at Breville.com for a good juicer. I started juicing to add vegetables to my diet (I hate them!). Juicing has been a godsend! Enjoy!
  • flynnegan
    flynnegan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    http://www.juicemaster.com/

I read a book by this fella called slim for life. Very good tips for weight loss and juicing.
    I love juicing, i try to get one in every other day, im gone very lazy with it though . My favourite is a bit of everything, a good wakener is apple carrot and celery, Very tasty, Sometimes i throw in some melon for extra sweetness.

He has a book called 7lbs in 7 days. Which i done before and enjoyed it, i felt great while doing it. But i put most of it back on quickly enough, but to be fair i wasnt too strict with myself once the 7 days was over.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do veggie smoothies rather than juicing for a couple of reasons. One, you get more output from the food used since you're keeping all of the pulp. Two, since you're keeping all of the pulp, you're also keeping all of the fiber.

I do a recipe that makes two decently sized smoothies (about 24oz each) and are around 210-220 calories each serving, depending on exact amounts used.

Here's my basic recipe (the items with a variance in amount comes from the size of the food item day to day):
    85g spinach
    63g kale
    28g (one serving) unsweetened organic vanilla protein powder
    1 cup almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1.25 cups water
    90-120g carrot
    90-105g radish
    120-150g of cucumber (approx half of one cucumber, seeded)
    85-100g red bell pepper
    22-28g avocado
    45-60g frozen banana (half of a banana)
    60-80g frozen fruit (rotate between strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, and blackberries)
    Juice of one medium lemon

For the frozen fruit, I just buy fresh fruit whenever it's on sale and throw it in the freezer for the smoothies. I get my kale and spinach at Trader Joe's, the amounts I use come out to getting four of the above recipe from each bag.

I use a Ninja blender and add the leafy greens, powder, and liquid first, then blend those until smooth. While those are blending I weigh and prep all of the other stuff. After the greens are blended I throw in everything else and blend until smooth again.

Super tasty and I love 'em. Almost solid veggie goodness with just enough fruit to make it not taste like your drinking a thing of veggies. Keeps it low carb, low sugar, and high in nutrients. Sometimes I'll have just one a day and other days I'll have one as breakfast and then another later in the day as a snack.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll keep the board updated with how this all goes. Please feel free to add any more info!