No appetite... does this hpn to others?

Options
Ever since i changed my diet to include a lot of veggies and fruits, and incorporated a lot of exercise into my day, i noticed that I'm not hungry. I'm eating but I'm never actually hungry.....

Before when i was eating out a lot (takeout, from restaurants) and stuff i would always feel hungry, but now i'm just not.

After my after work workout session i just want to take shower and sleep. I'm never hungry for dinner. but i will make something and eat it because I'm only running on like 600-700 calories for the day and that isn't good for me either.

I know most people would kill to not have an appetite but its worrying me. Has this ever happened to anyone else? is this normal?

Replies

• Missdanicali
    Options
    Its because you're eating foods that keep you full. Carbs fill you up temporarily, but you're hungry again not long after. Nothing to worry about! :)
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This happens to me and it is worrisome. After I exercise I'm hungry, but then I'll eat about 300-400 calories and then not be hungry. I find myself eating just because my caloric intake is low but I think I'm going to stop doing that.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have days when I'm not really hungry. Then I have days when I'm hungry all day. I wish I could get to a happy medium. :smile:
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Its because you're eating foods that keep you full. Carbs fill you up temporarily, but you're hungry again not long after. Nothing to worry about! :)

This is exactly right. I notice that on the days I go out to eat or eat food that isn't as good for me I feel hungrier way faster than the days when I eat less calories but at the same time healthier food options. Fast food is all carbs and fat and doesn't keep your body satisfied; whereas fruits, veggies, grains, and protein will keep you fuller longer while at the same time having less calories in them. Now if you are eating a significantly low amount of calories a day that might be a problem, but if you're eating a healthy amount and not feeling hungry you should be fine. I'm no expert though so don't take this as 100% fact... it's just what I've noticed in my own weight loss journey combined with what I have heard from others.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I WISH! lol
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    interesting.... i never thought veggies could actually be that filling.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

This is exactly right. I notice that on the days I go out to eat or eat food that isn't as good for me I feel hungrier way faster than the days when I eat less calories but at the same time healthier food options. Fast food is all carbs and fat and doesn't keep your body satisfied; whereas fruits, veggies, grains, and protein will keep you fuller longer while at the same time having less calories in them. Now if you are eating a significantly low amount of calories a day that might be a problem, but if you're eating a healthy amount and not feeling hungry you should be fine. I'm no expert though so don't take this as 100% fact... it's just what I've noticed in my own weight loss journey combined with what I have heard from others.

Im making sure i at least eat 1200 everyday most days its like 1400-1500. but im just never actually hungry. im just eating to eat. never feel hungry. always wanna throw out my plate halfway through it
  • myersfawn
    Options
    Since I started this journey, a whole month ago, I have noticed I am not hungry most of the day either. and having a hard time getting the calories needed. I have started eating an average of 100 calories an hour.... that way I get my calories in and I am NEVER hungry on purpose. That gets me 1200-1300 a day.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is normal. Simple carbs/sugars are very easily digested and will make you hungry again very soon. Complex carbs, fibrous carbs, protein, and to some extent fat will keep you full much longer and for fewer calories.

To solve this problem, incorporate more healthy fats like avocado, nuts/nut butter, cook veggies in olive oil instead of steaming them, use full fat dairy, etc.
  • dustygn
    dustygn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest cooking things in coconut oil rather than olive oil, as it has a much higher smoking point. Olive oil is great for home made dressings though.

I've just started a no bread diet, I've been a pescitarian (vegetarian + fish) for quite some time, but have been rather lazy and relied much on sandwiches and toast. Day 6 into my no bread diet, I have absolutely no appetite. I've pretty much just been eating museli for breakfast and salads for lunch and dinner. It certainly seems odd. Day 3 i think is when it started, but then day 1 & 2 were just about cutting the bread back.
    My friends think I should feel lucky. But the only time I tend to have no appetite is if I'm sick, so it's got me worried.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents... how long have you had this routine? About maybe two months into my increased-exercise, calorie-counting routine, I saw a dramatic increase in my appetite. I had been eating around 1400 calories, no problem, and then I was struggling to keep it under 1500. A few months later, I upped it to 1700. I'm 5'6", and I only exercise maybe 3 times a week, but the healthier lifestyle has kicked up my appetite, no question. Maybe you just need to keep at it and the appetite will come? Along with the appetite, I can tell my energy levels have increased... I think I just feel more "alive" all around, compared to the sluggish old me. Just give it time :)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I also find since eating more fruit & veg that I am just not hungry sometimes, and do throw half eaten plate of salad or other food away as it seems senseless for me to force food in that I do not want

I go by my body, if hungry I eat, if not I do not

PS, before anyone tells me about starvation mode myth I should add I have plenty of fat stored up
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I WISH! lol

This. LOL. I could eat all day, pretty much.
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have the same problem, and it is particularly worrisome for me because I am diabetic. One thing that is helpful for me is trying to eat to avoid hunger rather than waiting until my stomach is growling. However, there are still days that I just can't eat much and I end up drinking soda and eating bread to keep my blood sugar from plummeting...and that is not good, either. Then there are the days that I'm so hungry but nothing is appealing. Pain in the tush, isn't it? Best of luck!