Alcohol - two reasons not to drink?

Options

Replies

• Monjon70
    Monjon70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I find myself really wanting to eat crappy food when I drink alcohol. I feel it lowers my inhibitions. Ya, so not only is alcohol empty calories, but I just feel awful on the recovery side of it.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a love affair with wine. Since I jumped back on the band wagon last month, my wine consumption has diminished greatly.

Prior to last month:

Work day job, eat when hungry, don't log food.
    Get home. Grab large glass of wine. Sit down at computer, write novel or blog.
    Eat dinner. More wine.
    Retire to laptop with glass of wine.

I cringe when I think of the calories I was inhaling.

Since I jumped on the wagon again?

Work out.
    Work day job. Log food and water.
    Get home. Work out if not done in morning or do C25K on alternate days.
    Drink water.
    Eat dinner. Log calories.
    Glass of wine (MEASURED) and logged.

BIG difference in how I feel, how I look, and how the clothes are starting to fit, and it's only been 25 days. :)

Oh, and IF there aren't enough calories left for wine? Then I simply don't have any.
    I used to drink wine at night all willy nilly! I love to cook so I drank while I cook. It was still only 1-2 glasses of wine but I USED to think a "glass" was poured to the top!! I still have my 1-2 glasses while I make dinner for the fam and its a measured 5 oz pour! I ALWAYS have calories for wine...even if it means an extra walk for the dog!
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like a drinkiepoo here and there but the main reason I haven't drank since last June is because it stops your weight loss for 48 hours. Alcohol numbs something in your thyroid impeding your ability to lose weight for 2 days. :/

Curious, please provide the article / report on this..... never heard of such thing.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Alcohol stimulates your appetite and lowers inibition, it is a dangerous combo which often leads to lack of self control.

This.

but I still allow myself a drink on Friday and saturday nights.
    I work 35 miles from where I live and don't want to drink in the week as I'd be afraid I'd be over the limit when driving in the morning. I once had an accident and had to use the breathiliser. I was fine, but it made me wonder how often I'd driven in the morning whilst still over the limit. Wouldn't do that again!
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like a drinkiepoo here and there but the main reason I haven't drank since last June is because it stops your weight loss for 48 hours. Alcohol numbs something in your thyroid impeding your ability to lose weight for 2 days. :/

Curious, please provide the article / report on this..... never heard of such thing.

I second that. Please provide a reference or source, It sounds very interesting
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Semi-related. http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/zinc_alcohol_damage_and_thyroid_function/
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Funny. Guess I just imagined that 1.2 lbs I lost after having a couple glasses of wine.

Musta still been drunk.
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I definitely find that drinking makes it harder for me to make healthy choices the next couple of days. I'm 35 weeks pregnant now so I've had other things going on biologically but during a golden period in my second trimester where I felt normal, I was amazed at how much better I felt without drinking.

Even if I just have a couple of glasses of wine, I feel bloated and acidic the next day and I"m more likely to eat unhealthy food and drink more the next day.

It's gotten to a point where I feel better not drinking at all than drinking moderately. Which kind of sucks because I love red wine.
  • nikbolok
    Options

Semi-related. http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight/articles/zinc_alcohol_damage_and_thyroid_function/

This is a website selling products (supplements), and is not a certified health website. Has lots of ads too. For valid, reliable health information, check nih.gov, or sources that have "hon (health on net) code" certification (you can find the link at the bottom of certified websites, such as WebMD).

Plus, this article refers to those who already have low thyroid symptoms to take extra zinc if they are going to consume alcoholic beverages (scroll to bottom - "take home message").

Let's see something that says "alcohol numbs something in your thyroid impeding your ability to lose weight for 48 hours" as stated above.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can't help ya there.. I like to drink. I do eat a little too much, usualy becuase my guy likes to eat at midnight and doens't like to eat alone., but I feel fine the next day normally and can get right back on track. There are a ton of reasons not to drink though. Maybe one day i'll quit it. but probably not. I gave up everything else... even cut way back on coffee. Sometimes I drink too much, but usually i just have some and I'm happy.

haha.. and I lose weight anyway.. despite drinking. So there goes that theory.. lol
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like my wine at night and I make sure that I can fit it within my calories. Are there times where I over indulge? Of course but typically I know when I'm going to do that. When I'm on vacation or going out with the husband around here I let him know that I intend to drink a bit too much. Sometimes it happens because I'm having a good time, shots are flying and rounds are being bought but for the most part I do go out with how many drinks I'm going to have in mind and keep it at that or I'll have one drink and one to two waters in between.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I drink nightly. I have lost almost 40 pounds, I have gone from barely fitting into a size 12 to needing to belt my size 6-8s. I run half marathons. I feel awesome. I am not sure what the problem is! 1-2 glasses of red wine a night and most likely MORE on Friday and Saturday nights. I don't go over my calories. If I get drunk to where I get hung over I may grab some Taco Bell the next day or a fountain coke and all is better!

I think we should be friends lol.

Heck, some friends and I started a group in Raleigh, NC called Triangle Happy Hour where we go out to a different happy hour every week...and I'm at my goal weight (and have been since high school pretty much). Even spent a week at a swim up bar in Mexico last summer and drank tequila for a week lol. Well, some food was in there, too but still..

Anyway, like anything else you have to use moderation. I log daily. Ran a marathon and two half-marathons last year. Completed two Jillian Michaels DVDs. Ran in the Warrior Dash. A TRX class here and there (when I can fit it in). More half-marathons, running and mud runs this year.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Time for me to switch to diet mixers!!!

lol yup
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I find myself really wanting to eat crappy food when I drink alcohol. I feel it lowers my inhibitions. Ya, so not only is alcohol empty calories, but I just feel awful on the recovery side of it.

What do you mean about feeling awful on the recovery side of it? Just want to help if I can.
  • nikbolok
    Options
    For those who drink in moderation:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Each link posts to NIH study.

Sto Lat! *hic*
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I was a very heavy drinker and i didn't trust myself so i gave up a year ago

Was this because you didn't trust yourself to not drink too much or because you lost control with other things too? ie dieting or working out.

I lost control of everything life in general
  • _Thanatos_
    Options
    1. It's poison
    2. You don't *need* it to be happy. If you do, you've got other issues you should probably address.
  • nikbolok
    Options
    1. It's poison
    2. You don't *need* it to be happy. If you do, you've got other issues you should probably address.

Poison is LEGAL?!?!? Oh crap. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cause weight loss was simply not happening for me. Cut down to bare bones "clean foods" and lean meats and just drank water and wallah! Weight is coming off.

I used to drink beer nightly and found I had built a resistance to it so I had to drink more and more to feel a buzz. I was self medicating my depression too.

Now I work out and eat right. This is not to say i wont ever drink again but after 4 weeks of this I really feel great.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N.

I don’t believe I’ve read a post in this thread that states that anyone NEEDS alcohol to be happy.

If you don’t want to drink, then don’t. Nobody is going to look sideways at you for NOT drinking, but that goes both ways. There are many, many, MANY responsible adults that enjoy alcohol consumption responsibly and in moderation and can still lose weight.

Further, resveratrol in red wine is NOT poison. In fact, it can be heart healthy, as outlined in the following link:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/HB00089

Again, MODERATION would be the key word, here.

But that’s just me, and I’ve been poisoning my body with the evils of red wine for many, many years, and am living (and losing weight) to tell the tale. :drinker: