How To Calorie Count Without Becoming Obsessive

So part of the reason I resisted strict calorie counting initially was because I had a bad experience about 5 years ago. I started eating about 500 calories a day for two months and lost 15 pounds. Eventually, I cracked and gained back 5 of those 15 pounds. I also worked out twice a week in that time frame (spinning). That was before sites like this existed so it was all done by eating lean cuisines or maybe subway three times a day and supplementing that with celery and carrots.

So how do you keep from not letting weight loss rule your life like that? I've only really been counting calories by logging for the last week or so, before that I would keep a running tab in my head of major meals and would generally try and make sure I wasn't eating a single meal over 300 calories or so.

Replies

• huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    It's definitely tough not to get obsessed about it but one thing you could try is to log all of your meals the night before or in the morning. That way you'll already know what you're eating throughout the day and you can just enjoy each meal without worrying about how many calories it has.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Maybe pre-log?
  • spaz4me2
    spaz4me2 Posts: 44 Member
    I dunno, but I have a slightly addictive personality. I count calories like a woman gone mad...but, it has served me well. I have no idea how or if I'll ever stop :-)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Counting Calories Works so you have to be Obsessive. It is better than being hooked on drugs.