What to wear to the gym?

Options

Replies

• CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Comfort is key! Keep in mind that if you are a bit large like I am, something a bit more snug than you normally wear may be a good idea to keep things from moving more than you are, if you know what I mean. Most of our inexpensive stores (Shopko, Walmart) sell exercise clothes that have some lycra that will keep you snug. Make sure you have a comfortable and appropriate sports bra, great shoes, and the rest is really preference. Like most others, I often will wear a cotton t shirt and some sweat pants, but remember this - it is not a fashion show. You are there to exercise. Do not get caught up in those other people in the gym, this is all about you. Be comfortable.
  • Ind3p3dent
    Ind3p3dent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When going to the gym I wear pants (I don't want to have to to worry about too much showing when I lay down to lift weights). I wear some kind of tech t-shirt... or ribbed tanks if its hot. My bra is always by Moving Comfort. It is the only brand that works to keep the girls in place (even while running) I was told wearing two sports bras would be the only way to be comfortable, but then I found that brand and its good. They are expensive but in my opinion well worth it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Well you could do pjs. Wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen there. You can wear anything from a sports bra, mens basketball shorts, and an old tshirt, to special apparel made of wicking material in cute cuts and patterns. All depends on your style, comfort, and budget!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    As little as decently possible. Tank top & shorts.
  • ForeverChasingTheSunsets
    Options
    I'm going to the gym to workout and sweat... not to be pretty. So I get my gym attire at our local discount store... yoga pants, tank top or tight t-shirt (if my t-shirt is too baggy, you risk giving a show while doing push-ups... I learned that the hard way when I first started.) and a sports bra. The only thing I spend a lot of money on is my footwear as I don't want to risk injury and I like lots of support for my feet.

Just remember to ignore the people around you and just focus on what you have to do. Just keep going... half the battle is getting there... well for me it is. Once I am there, I work hard and love it.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is how I roll......

snGG9.gif
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love bright spandex... http://www.amazon.com/Angelina-Full-Length-Seamless-Leggings-Salmon/dp/B008NCYAPS/
    I have them in blue and purple. I think it makes working out more fun :)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'd wear yoga pants and a tank top. :)
  • thekidsmom34
    thekidsmom34 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Old Navy Yoga stuff.. they can be a little pricey to me but every now and then I catch stuff on clearance and rack up. They are really comfortable and the shirts dont shrink after washing.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Love Old Navy brand compression gear! Surprisingly! I do love Lululemon but I can't justify the price on the majority of their stuff especially with my sizes changing so quickly. Once I stabilize and maintain then I might treat myself to few things. Also, Moving Comfort has some great stuff too! Carpris. fitted shorts (any extra fabric tends irritate me), running tights are a staple and then any kind of t-shirt or I do have some technical t's too but a good sports bra is a must too and Old Navy one's have been super!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you have money to go shopping...
    BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFjJSeHNqeEZyVHZHVHdBdTVNYVM4bXcAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg
    http://www.polyvore.com/nike_total_blackout/set?id=64524726

If you feel self conscious
    http://www.oprah.com/style/Slimming-Workout-Wear-How-to-Look-Thinner

If you don't have money to spend
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWuSaSmjVQt1r8mw_zjS42nXOvcMF2TLcYkWjxsNF3DmenLoA9Bg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxSa6vJdLEryP2MoPrccHQIm0RQkpfQ1sm9t8Mf9NsPastUaWgJA

2408atg-w484h484z1-7504-imma-take-your-grandpas-style-tank.jpg

if you don't care what other people think OR if you're pj's are too cute to keep a secret
    6a00d8341c7c7853ef010536a7912d970b-600wi
    mqdefault.jpg

http://www.cafepress.com/+workout+pajamas
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, invest in a good bra and a good pair of shoes.

Yoga pants are the PJs of the gym. :wink: Meaning, they and capris are really comfortable and don't give you that inner thigh burn/ ride up that can be annoying or --let's face it-- downright painful with shorts.

I wear capri leggings, an oversize t shirt and a sports bra. Well, technically not a sports bra, because I have never been able to find a comfortable one in my size, but I found a 2-pack of Genie Bras in my size on sale at target for less than what one "sports" bra would cost. They work great and are comfortable, and look/function just like a sports bra to me. :smile:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Capri pants or full length yoga pants, a t-shirt or one of my wicking shirts, good shoes (i wear Vibrams, but own running shoes as back-up) and as of yet, I haven't found a sport bra I like so I wear my normal LB (lane bryant) monsters - LOL - so far they are working even if it is shortening the life span on them (which doesn't matter as I had to downsize 3 times last year alone!)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yoga pants and a tank top, running shoes and a sports brat. I feel restricted in a t-shirt, I'm not social at the gym and fairly low maintanence. And headphones. By far one of the most important accessories!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Shorts and a comfortable T shirt. I ain't lookin' to impress ;)
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I wear lycra/spandex type pants (capris or full length), sports bra and usually the tech type shirts from the men's section - they are cheaper and longer than the women's stuff so I don't have to worry about them riding up. You can find all of that on the cheap at walmart, target or old navy.
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Shorts to spin class and long or Capri workout pants. Tank top on top,no t shirts for me,much to hot,oh and lifting gloves on my hands when I'm lifting weights!
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I plan to do. If I'm running, I have specific pants and tops I prefer to wear (moisture wicking). For Zumba or toning classes, I usually just wear yoga pants and a t-shirt. Most of my stuff is from Target, Walmart, or Old Navy.
  • likeA_boss
    likeA_boss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    capri pants with an undershirt and a t shirt with my sports bra. held together, comfy, and not fashionable so i can focus on my ME time.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can wear shorts & tshirt or warm-up paints and sneakers but do make sure to get a sports bra. I have bought mine from Old Navy and Target and they are cheap. I got a lot of colorful new stuff at Old Navy online as they had some good sales last month bc my stuff was OLD and getting ratty. But you don't have to dress up! Important thing is to GO and be consistent