Are you really losing weight by counting calories?

Options

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

yes I am losing weight just by counting calories and exercising. It has taught me to be accountable and aware of the foods I am eating. It helps me to make healthier food choices and properly fuel my body. I plan my meals in advance and try to stick to it as much as possible so I don't usually have an issue going over.

SW: 275lbs
    CW: 149lbs
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    For me the ONLY think I have done to lose weight is count calories. My exercise is minimal and inconsistent, and the types of foods I eat varies also.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I want to know the truth lol.. Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.
    People eat for various reasons (hunger, boredom, habit, it's "time to eat" so you eat, for pleasure) and also choose foods for several reasons (it's good for you, it's tasty, it's convenient, it's cheap, it's right in front of you)

Counting calories (and just logging your food) can make you more aware that you are making those choices, and aware of why you are making those choices. That awareness enables you to consciously decide, "well convenience isn't really the best criteria for choosing a healthy lifestyle, is it?" And while you can still indulge in yummy foods that you really enjoy, you can be sure to do it in amounts that allow you to have and keep a healthy body.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't count calories. I lose weight by a strict diet of HCG, Rasberry keytones, green tean, and Green coffee grounded up and mixed into my body by vi/ herbalife / shakeology shake. IT....IS...MAGIC!

Is that what the turtleburger is made from REALLY?
    Can you post a picture of that?
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Indeedy. I lost 90lbs in 7 months Counting calories and working out. I counted everything and didn't eat back exercise calories. Educating myself about the calories in food definitely acted as a behavioral training for me. As did wearing a HRM and learning how long it takes to work them off. Now I make better choices.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I started at 173.1 kilos/380 pounds and now weigh 89.9 kilos/198 pounds....it works if you work :)
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    yes, just counting calories, no exercise for the first 80 or so pounds. Didnt monitor what i ate as in wheat or meat or eggs or cake or coton candy or fudge or fruits or vegetables, none of that matters, amount of calories in vs amount of calories burned..... thats it. sure eating healthier balanced diet is better for you but it wont affect your weight loss that much, just your over all health. that was 345-265

last 40 calories and exercise and a bit more careful about what i eat but still i have days i eat crap food just monitor the calories still. 265 to current 225 and dropping
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yup. Just counting calories and exercise.

Losing weight is nothing more than calories vs calories out. I have eaten better now I admit. Knowing how many calories is in something that I used to eat every day is shocking sometimes. I still enjoy myself every now and then, just make sure it fits in for the day. I was 350 pounds and am now 240. I lost 140 pounds in 2 years and put on 40 last year trying to gain some muscle. (And working two jobs and not eating right, my fault I know) Now I am back at cutting for summer and have lost 10 pounds in a month.

I tried all the fad diets over the years and would lose some weight, but it would come right back on when I stopped. I never counted calories though, and looking back I can see that I was probably really under-eating and starving myself. It wasn't sustainable. Nobody really told me how calories worked.

I usually have my dinner planned out, use the left overs from dinner for lunch the next day and fill in the rest of my calories with whatever I am lacking (Protein, fats or carbs) Sometimes if I am having a big dinner, I skip lunch so I can enjoy it more. I weigh or measure everything I eat, other than veggies.

Feel free to check my diary if you want.

I agree that it works, and I also think it's important to note that even though we all may have different ways to eat (this person skips lunch every day; I need to eat 6x/day) we can still lose weight. There's more than one way to skin a cat!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yes, this has worked for me. I started at 217 and currently weigh 176. I've "plateaued" for a few weeks by working out less and eating a little more - so not really a plateau, just a diet break and continuing to recover from an injury.

It has helped me make better decisions because most junk food I like = small volume of food for a lot of calories versus healthier choices that allow me to eat a larger volume of food for fewer calories.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    Yep. Counting calories and exercising around 30 mins/day 5-6 days of the week has made all the difference for me. I've tried other methods in the past (like WW) without as much success and I'm thrilled I've finally found something that works.

I've gone from 170 to just under 134 since I started last September :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, started last year and kept off the weight off so far. Counting calories helps me to see how much I eat (I love to eat). Logging my exercise motivates me and helps me see which routine works best. I zig zag (Calorie Cycling) my calories (Don't eat the same amount every day and this helps me more than anything.
  • gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Calories and exercise. It was really my first diet years ago ... but not well done and not healthily executed. I gave up on fad diets years ago.

Now it's about keeping me accountable. Nothing crazy. Nothing off limits food wise. Attempts to make healthier and more nutritious decisions, but working everything into my calorie allowance. Slow and steady so that I don't have to feel deprived. All in all, I've lost about 30 pounds, from about 325 to 298 so far. I took about a month and a half off in October and didn't work at it much for the last couple weeks of January... I'm not letting my life be dictated by my diet. I'm working at it a bit more again.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    118 pounds gone by counting calories. Weighing and measuring my food really helps.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options

Yup, truth. Counting calories taught me portion control. I make sure by logging EVERYTHING! Start weight was 205 on 18 Feb 2012 and reached goal weight of 145 after 243 days. Currently weighing in at 142 and seemed to have settled here.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise?

Yes.
    Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision?

Yes.
    What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories?

I don't deliberately stay under. I measure and weigh the ingredients used; I cook much more than I eat out; I get enough sleep almost every night; I work out six days a week (combination of strength training and cardio); I drink plenty of water.

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories? I am just a little curious.

Starting weight: 126 lbs and 26% body fat in Dec 2011.
    Current weight: 104 lbs and 20% body fat. And maintaining this in the last 2-3 months.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yes. SW was 230. Currently at 217, heading to 195. (I'm a 6'5" guy).

Counting has certainly helped me understand what foods are just so high in calories, fat and salt that they are not worth it. It has shown me what meals I can make that are larger servings, but low in calories, and provide a great balance of nutrients.

Exercise is what lets me eat those larger meals! Seriously, it helps me feel better, sleep better and yes, lose weight too.
  • georgehatten1
    Options
    same here
  • Hairwyz
    Options
    II usually dont pay much attention to my calories cause im ALWAYS under what they say I should be eating for my weight. But I try to cut my carb intake and eat way more protein. I just found this site but from Janurary 25 2013 - Feburary 3 2013, I lost 3 lbs. I also had used 3 different scales b4 I got my own so I really dont know if that is accurite. We will see now I have my own scale. I weigh every morning soon as I crawl out of bed.