Quinoa anyone?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I just tried some tonite and it's pretty good. A little bland but very filling. Anyone else?

Replies

• slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    We love it. We eat it steamed, we add it to rice, add a handfull in our pancakes and muffins and my favorite way is in a stirfry with vegetables. It's a great plant source of complete protein, magnesium and fiber.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    We love it. We eat it steamed, we add it to rice, add a handfull in our pancakes and muffins and my favorite way is in a stirfry with vegetables. It's a great plant source of complete protein, magnesium and fiber.

I love the idea of putting it in the pancakes! Perfect!
  • AbiLuV
    AbiLuV Posts: 47
    Options
    I boil mine in vegetable or chicken stock. It helps with the blandness.
  • jjpski
    jjpski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started eating once I started training for a marathon. I had done some research on nutrition value of foods that gave me the most bang per calorie. I personally like it and it great after running 18 miles.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have heard so much about it and I cannot wait to try it!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Costco's has the best deal. very large bag for 10.00, considering the local health food store has a box smaller then a box of pasta for 5.99 . Anyway Sparkpeople has great recipes for Quinoa. we tried the Quinoa spinach and feta recipe as a side dish last night and it was good!! if you can't find the recipe I can send it to you just email me the prefered email address and I will forward to you from my black berry.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    i love it
  • herbnkitchenfairy
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant (no wheat, barley, rye or oats (unless they are specially grown without wheat contamination) and discovered Quinoa... and have managed to come up with some pretty clever and flavorful options.

Some favorites: mixing with a blend of cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, and for some zing a jalapeno pepper (chop them up together and add to the quinoa.

Also can be mixed with a smidge of EVOO, touch of blasamic, a little dijon mustard, garlic, roasted red peppers, and artichokes.

Mix with honey or agave, greek yogurt, raisins, and a half a banana or a few Tablespoons of applesauce (just make sure its 100% and not loaded with corn syrup).

mix with some greek yogurt, garlic, fresh italian parsley, saute carrots, celery and onion and serve with grilled shrimp top with either a cheddar or asiago cheese (depending on your preference) for a healthy version of shrimp and grits.

Hoep that helps.
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love it with tomato, cilantro, lemon juice, red onion, olives, and feta.

Hell yeah.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What is it, exactly? I've read tons about it and I think I can buy it in my local "health food" store (aka shirtaki noodle dealer), but have no clue what it is! Sounds similar to barley???
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Costco's has the best deal. very large bag for 10.00, considering the local health food store has a box smaller then a box of pasta for 5.99 . Anyway Sparkpeople has great recipes for Quinoa. we tried the Quinoa spinach and feta recipe as a side dish last night and it was good!! if you can't find the recipe I can send it to you just email me the prefered email address and I will forward to you from my black berry.
    StarryEyedGirl :happy:
    New to Quinoa and thanks for the recipe location to check out what you've tried, appreciate it ALOT! I'm always up for new ideas to add healthy foods:wink::flowerforyou:

Becca:heart:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What is it, exactly? I've read tons about it and I think I can buy it in my local "health food" store (aka shirtaki noodle dealer), but have no clue what it is! Sounds similar to barley???

I find that it's kind of a cross between grits and styrofoam. It's a healthy grain, however, and does have some versatility. I have tried variations of what others have listed. I also made in once with some apples, walnuts, and a little maple syrup as a breakfast cereal.

It is calorie dense, however, so a little goes a long way.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

I find that it's kind of a cross between grits and styrofoam. It's a healthy grain, however, and does have some versatility. I have tried variations of what others have listed. I also made in once with some apples, walnuts, and a little maple syrup as a breakfast cereal.

It is calorie dense, however, so a little goes a long way.
    "I find that it's kind of a cross between grits and styrofoam" That's funny Azdak as I've had a strong craving for grits and styrofoam all week long!!:tongue::laugh: :wink: So I think I'll have to give it a try.

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • herbnkitchenfairy
    Options
    Quinoa is an amino acid rich protein that is gluten free and a predominant staple of african diets. You can find it in health food stores and depending upon where you live I find it in my local grocery store in the health food section. Its a little more expensive than oatmeal, pastas, rice, etc. but also has a better health value and is very versitle depeding upon what you want to flavor it with... very much like pasta or rice... both bland with nothing but add some veggies, herbs, cheese, etc and you have a protein rich filler that is relatively inexpensive and better than eating meat and potatoes every day.
  • shimaclan
    shimaclan Posts: 5
    Options
    Henry's Farmers Market has it and you can buy however much you want. It's great that you can buy just a little to try it....it's not too much of a commitment if you hate it.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I also make milk for my kids from it. For some reason we all have dairy allergies in my family. I boil the quinoa, blend a cup of it with 4 cups water and strain it through a cheese cloth. They like it with a bit of honey and cinnamon. They didn't care for it the first time they tried it, but now they love it. I sometimes blend a few spoonfulls of it in our smoothies. I like having a steady supply of protein all day long.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is definitely a food meant to be mixed up with veggies, beans, meats, etc. Not to be eaten plain. At least in my opinion. One of my favorites is quinoa and black bean burritos. I always cook quinoa with my homemade chicken broth to give it a flavor boost.