Evening/Late Night Snacking

Options
Can anyone share thoughts/tips to curb those urges for the evening/late night snacks? I do great with my eating during the day but really struggle not to eat a couple hours after dinner. I've even forced myself not to eat dinner until later (6-630) but nothing seems to curb the urge! Thoughts/suggestions most welcome!

Replies

• bpn80
    bpn80 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have the same issue! I've realized that for me, it's a habit...I'm bored, I'm cleaning the kitchen, and oh, I should have a handful of whatever. On the days when I don't snack and nibble all night, its because I had a complete dinner-protein, complex carbs, and fiber. And I distract myself-go for a walk, have a project I'm going to work on around the house, read, drink a big glass of water when I feel hungry, and go to bed early! Nothing too exciting, but that combo seems to distract my mind from the refrigerator.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings, after dinner and eat meal 6, my post-workout meal around 10pm everyday. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, it matters how many total calories you eat and how many you burn. if you don't want to go over your daily calories, try having a list of 100 or 200 calories snacks and just pick one off the list. Also, make sure you're getting enough healthy fat, fiber & protein during the day so you won't get so hungry.
  • lhalket
    lhalket Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips - I eat because I'm bored, not really because I'm hungry - guess that means I need to get up and move!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There's a group here devoted to this very problem. Put Late Night Snacking or LNS in the search bar. We all keep score on ourselves.
  • kimmysueneal
    kimmysueneal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this too!!! LOL I actually do get a growling stomach about 3 hours after dinner though. I eat dinner at 5:30 and stay up until 10pm, so it's hard NOT to feel hungry in between... I usually eat a bowl of cereal or a small bowl of crackers or something to curb my hunger.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I eat in the evening/nighttime all the time! I opt for healthier choices but I still munch throughout the evening. I've always been a snacker so I accommodate my meals and workouts to allow myself a little extra munch time :P
  • leska1216
    Options
    My tip -- drink lots of water. I park a 2liter jug of water beside the couch when I am watching TV or reading. I will drink 2 or 3 jugs depending on the temperature. In summer 4-6 jugs.

Sometimes I have to give in to the urge and snack. Then I get my small (no longer large) bowl and pour in some Cheezies and Nibs. This satisfies my crunchy/soft sweet/salty craving. I do this once a month or so, not weekly like I used to.

I have lost 21 lbs since I started logging in July and over 40 since I started to seriously do something about my weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No reason to avoid eating late night.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories during the day so that you have spare calories which you then eat without guilt, at night.

Not a fix for everyone as this is largely preferential, but for many people this works great.

As long as evening food doesn't disturb your sleep, you can embrace late night eating provided you aren't exceeding your calories.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing. I will even wake up from dozing and go to the kitchen to snack. Lately, I find that If I stay fairly busy up to bedtime then I don't think so much about snacking. The other thought that has helped me is to plan out an evening snack that fits into your daily food plan. I find I usually crave salty or sweet so I usually plan popcorn or fruit. I add mini marshmallows to fruit cocktail and that helps with my sweet craving without piling on the calories. Lastly, clear the house of things that you typically snack on. I miss my ice cream in the evenings but find I can live without it. Best wishes!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I keep a very brothy homemade soup in the fridge for that urge. Or no sugar/fat free hot chocolate. I am currently trying to change my routine...Quite often go to bed to read instead of watching TV.

Shirley in Beautiful Oregon
  • Devoidarex
    Options
    My solution is to eat lighter during the day so I have enough calories left over in the evening to have a filling snack. Oatmeal, some popcorn or something like that.
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    I eat air popped popcorn with a light seasoning. It's a great 'keep busy' snack and it's low low low calories, fat etc.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Can anyone share thoughts/tips to curb those urges for the evening/late night snacks? I do great with my eating during the day but really struggle not to eat a couple hours after dinner. I've even forced myself not to eat dinner until later (6-630) but nothing seems to curb the urge! Thoughts/suggestions most welcome!

save calories for the end of the night. I try to leave work (second shift) with 500ish left, if I can help it, so I can graze when I get home.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I do exactly the same thing. I will even wake up from dozing and go to the kitchen to snack. Lately, I find that If I stay fairly busy up to bedtime then I don't think so much about snacking. The other thought that has helped me is to plan out an evening snack that fits into your daily food plan. I find I usually crave salty or sweet so I usually plan popcorn or fruit. I add mini marshmallows to fruit cocktail and that helps with my sweet craving without piling on the calories. Lastly, clear the house of things that you typically snack on. I miss my ice cream in the evenings but find I can live without it. Best wishes!
  • KBSwinger
    KBSwinger Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Eat fewer calories during the day so that you have spare calories which you then eat without guilt, at night.

Not a fix for everyone as this is largely preferential, but for many people this works great.

As long as evening food doesn't disturb your sleep, you can embrace late night eating provided you aren't exceeding your calories.

I did this for a very long time before I started intermittent fasting. Now I eat from 5-10pm then go to bed at 11pm works awesome to keep me nice and full and fuel those evening munchies.
  • tparascandola
    tparascandola Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I keep freeze pops in my fridge (I live in a dorm). They are pretty low calorie (20-25 calories per pop). They satisfy my craving for something sweet at night. I usually eat two or three an hour or two before I go to sleep.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Eat.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I spread out my calories in a way that allows me a good sized snack a couple of hours before dinner and then a satisfying dinner later. I can't deal with hunger at night so I could never have a big breakfast or lunch. I'd be eating spoonfuls of peanut butter by 7:30 because there's nothing junky in the house to eat. :laugh: A find that a cup of hot tea with stevia helps.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night/ before bed. Just plan for your day that way & spread out your calories.