Exercise Ettiquette (mini rant)

Options
I'm a little peeved to say the least. I'm pretty sure this has been said before but MY GOD. Why does NO ONE ever clean up after themselves at the gym?!

I go in and get on the treadmill, there's wads of paper towel in the drink holders, the buttons are greasy..
When I go up to the weight machines its pretty obvious that someone has sweated all over it without giving a thought to wiping down the equipment. Then I cringe because some meathead is crashing the weights when they know that it damages the machines over time.

Towels are left on the floor, free weights are just lying around (a woman tripped over one), exercise mats are strewn about and all sweaty. GOD I WANNA KILL SOMEONE . RAWR.

Ok, rant over. sigh..

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I put my water bottle in the cupholder on the treadmill only to discover someone left their very stick chewed gum in there! YUCK!!! Then my water bottle was all sticky and gross. People are disgusting.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new gym! People are considerate at my gym for the most part, and the staff is always cleaning, no matter what time I work out.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Why? Best guess is the staff don't make them.
    I'd find another gym.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Mine is very clean but it is brand new and it's not that busy. Just the way I like it! :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Another vote for finding a new gym. The staff at my gym are constantly going around cleaning up machines by removing trash, wiping down cardio machines, wiping down weight machines, etc. And I don't go to an expensive or fancy gym, or even the upper levels of the gym franchise I do belong to.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Wow! That sounds horrible. Thankfully my gym is pretty clean. And the people are good at cleaning the machines. I think the staff at your gym is to blame. They obviously don't enforce the rules enough. Perhaps try talking to them?

Good luck!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    iky and gross yes find a new gym i've been to two different gyms and none were like that thank goodness
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My old gym was like that.

My new gym is not... and it makes me happy :)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    You would think bathrooms would be another place people would have some dignity.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    That's gross. My gym would never put up with that. I'd go somewhere else.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like my gym except that they don't enforce a towel policy. One Saturday there were 40-50 people and 10 had towels. It's not just the men, the women are just as guilty. The worst is going up to a bench and finding a puddle of head sweat. If I owned a gym, my policy would be no towel, no workout.
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree time to switch gyms. My fitness center is part of my college, and all the people are required to clean up after themselves. I hate it when people drop the weights and do the unnecessary grunts and groans showing off for the girls, but i just turn up the TV
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is why I work out at home.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I agree time to switch gyms. My fitness center is part of my college, and all the people are required to clean up after themselves. I hate it when people drop the weights and do the unnecessary grunts and groans showing off for the girls, but i just turn up the TV

OMG! I CANNOT STAND THIS! theiir is this one guy at my gym that wears tights so tight you can see all his junk ( and i mean all of it and he is not one that you would want to be looking at) and makes the worst grunting sounds i have ever heard. It actually puts me off my work out iv actually left on days because no about of music would help...and its one of those i dont want to look bcoz its making me sick but i cant help it situations!

Ps my gym is really clean apart from that ^^ i love it for that reason, Id defiantly look in to moving gyms if your not locked in
  • lovingmommy_of1
    lovingmommy_of1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new gym! People are considerate at my gym for the most part, and the staff is always cleaning, no matter what time I work out.

I agree! Also if the people working at the gym arent cleaning up after these lazy people then it is really time for a new gym!
  • ldylion
    ldylion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is why I clean the machine before I use and and after .. I noticed most ppl do not clean after its gross.:ohwell:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Remember people, bad stuff (ie staph infections) can be transfered via gym & shower equipment. If the gym doesnt provide it carry a spray bottle of disinfectant & a spare towel only for that purpose.
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I used to be the cleaning staff at a gym and was amazed by how disgusting people are. I went to clean the shower once and someone just popped out their tampon and left it on the floor NASTY!!!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I used to be the cleaning staff at a gym and was amazed by how disgusting people are. I went to clean the shower once and someone just popped out their tampon and left it on the floor NASTY!!!

I worked at target and someone did that in the feminine hygiene isle.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I use a small women only gym. Everyone seems to clean up after themselves, thank god.