Is it ok to eat after the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Its definitely ok.. I just left the gym and ate dinner a few minutes ago!
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I disagree with all the posters above. Eat any time that feels best.

Agreed
    Agreed I usualy have a snack before and then eat dinner after. It is working so far. Keep the Protein up :)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    no you might choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i eat before and after and after again again again again and again!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Seems like every time i go to the gym i come back and eat my dinner after my work out.

Nothing wrong with this practice. Do you enjoy it? Keep doing it.

Should i start eating before my workouts?

I would base this decision primarily around performance metrics and personal preference. Choose whichever method gives you the best of both.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    if your hungry then yes
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    my trainer says that you should have a high protein food within 1.5 hours of your workout. They have that protein stuff or you can have a light meal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eating after is best, your metabolism is running pretty good at that time!

Not sure what this means or how it is relevant. What would happen to the nutrients that are either in you system or stored? is there some reason they would not get utilized? The whole, eating right after a workout thing always seems to have the assumption of fasted training built in but unspoken. But there are nutrients in our system when we work out if we've eaten within a few hours prior that get utilized just fine.
  • sweatymuscles
    Options
    Yes its ok to eat after you're done with the gym.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well i hope i can cause im always hungry lol, plus i work out late i come back home around 8:30 and idk if i should even put food in my stomach at that time? anyone have suggestions?

Yes. Eat whenever it works for you. I eat as early or as late as I want, always after 9pm. Sometimes as late as 10 or 11. It doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • MrClean55
    Options
    You should have smoething to eat before you workout to fuel your workout and you should have some protein with in 30 minutes after your workout.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Um.... eating after the gym is generally encouraged. So yeah, it's fine. Why wouldn't it be okay? Unless eating at a certain time makes you ill or something, you can eat whenever you please and it doesn't really matter that much.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It is OK to eat before and after the gym, and also while at the gym. Especially if you go to a different gym than me. LOL
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    However you feel is best.I find a snack an hour or so before, then dinner after, works for me and my body.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    My sister told me to have something before and after.. mostly something with protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should have smoething to eat before you workout to fuel your workout and you should have some protein with in 30 minutes after your workout.

Why?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you have a few minutes and the inclination to learn, here's a study by Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld re: Pre/Post Workout Nutrition (posted on MFP courtesy of Fire_Rock):

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you have a few minutes and the inclination to learn, here's a study by Alan Aragon and Brad Schoenfeld re: Pre/Post Workout Nutrition (posted on MFP courtesy of Fire_Rock):

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

^ This is a great link.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever your hungry.