PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Options
So I need some help to stop smoking. I'm trying but I've been for 20 plus years. I'm trying the weight Los thing and its working do far. In total I've lost over 50 pounds. Now I need help for this bad habit. Any and all ideas accepted . I need this please help

Replies

• itsmelynn15
    Options
    I quit cold turkey back in 2001 by sucking on candy canes...lol...hey it worked!
  • shannonlanders
    shannonlanders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i used the patch. it's a 3 step system...I kinda accelerated it a bit though...i bought two of the step 1's, and 1 of the step 2 and 3's. I used sugar free candies and twizzlers whenever I felt a craving, and i drank tons of water. I smoked for about 15 years. My sis and I quit at the same time. We live together too...and we are still friends. She smoked almost as long as I did. We knew there were going to be withdrawal symptoms, but we just made sure to give each other space and be respectful. We survived. Watch out for stressful situations...taking a walk will help with that. My father, mother and grandmother quit cold turkey. My aunt used a hypnotist. No one in my family has went back to smoking...so there are plenty of options. I'm glad I did it...i got $600.00 back on health insurance as an incentive too. lol Glad I did it...keep trying 'til you succeed. :-)
  • smokeyg01
    smokeyg01 Posts: 1,064
    Options
    That's motivation. I'm hoping I get thru this.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My grandpa is dieing as a direct result of smoking and still can't manage to stop. Basically immobile and still manages to go outside to smoke (he lives with us now and cannot smoke in the house) so I can understand how hard it can be to stop.

I was only a social smoker as a teen, so it was easy for me to quite cold turkey. My uncle was a heavy smoker due to stress and managed to stop through habit replacement (i.e. when he wanted to smoke he would do something else until it became a habit).
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ecigarettes? My sister used to smoke and now she only uses those. My mom has also used them too and she has been smoking for so many years.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    I've done both (weight loss and quitting cigs), and I commiserate. Quiting smoking is hard!

I had to completely remove myself from any and all smokers. It was banned from the house. I quit cold turkey, because tapering down didn't work for me. I had to completely change all of my habits. I had to stop hanging out with my smoking friends when they were smoking. At my regular smoke times, I found things to occupy myself. For example, I started jumping up after dinner and washing the dishes so I wouldn't think about having a smoke.

I have been quit for nine years now. You can do it!
  • dctexas65
    dctexas65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you have health insurance see if they have a health coach available (I had Blue Cross Blue Shield) my health coach sent me the nicotine patches for free, I was put on Wellbutrin from my Doctor and the health coach called me weekly. When I hung out with my smoking friends if I started getting a craving we would leave. Hubby had to smoke outside...I had to change all of my smoking habits..no smoking in the car, etc. I quit millions of times before..but it finally stuck...3.5 years Nic Free...you can do it!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    When I decided to quit, I walked into my house, handed my sister my checkbook and debit card and told her to not let me have then back until I was over the cravings...it won't work for everyone, but that is what worked for me!! You can do it, but it takes willpower!!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My aunt stopped by eating sunflower seeds, and chewing nicorette gum. (Hey, at least it's not smoking, right? )
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My father was a smoker for 50 years, and was able to quit with Chantix. He turned 69 today and hasn't had a cigarette in over 3 years.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have you analysed when you smoke the most? Is there a particular trigger? Like morning tea time? After dinner, whilst watching TV? If so, try to think about how to manage those situations. e.g. go for a walk after dinner.

Good luck
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey back in 2001 by sucking on candy canes...lol...hey it worked!

My husband did the same thing (cold turkey back in 2002) with lolipops. After a while he transitioned to sugar-free gum. He carries a pack of gum everywhere he goes and when he gets a craving he pops some gum. I can tell when he's stressed, because the gum comes out. :laugh:
  • smokeyg01
    smokeyg01 Posts: 1,064
    Options
    I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I'm glad for all that stopped. I'll have to check with my insurance company as well. Thanks for all the advice.
  • SallyMadonna33
    Options
    I feel you. I am starting the process of quiting too. I have a roommate quitting with me and we marked March 1st as THE END. I am hoping that crossing off those days on the calendar and mentally preparing myself for it will help. It is going to be hard and I am willing to take any advice but I am guessing that it is all up to me. I am going to try Eciggarette and probably lots of gum.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Unless you have panic disorder, the medication Zyban (Welbutron/Bupropion) has had huge success rate.

My sister and boyfriend both quit real cigarettes and use e-cigarettes. Both of them smoked since they were 15!
    It's still nicotine, but they both say they feel a million times better and can breathe now, etc.
    Don't get the crappy ones from 7-11 though...
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    #1 - you have to want to - doing it for someone else won't do it.

I used the gum for about 5 weeks until I kicked off a bout of acid reflux. That was enough for me.

I've got a bit over 4 years now.
  • jackiep2439
    jackiep2439 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try Chantix, you can smoke the first week, and then you wont want to, It blocks the urge to smoke.
  • ludssis
    ludssis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    QUITNET.COM - It's a wonderfully supportive smoking cessation website and it helped me quit after 35 years of smoking and many failed attempts to quit. I used the patch too. The combination of patch and quitnet was perfect for me. Hope you'll try it - good luck!
  • mylifesjourney
    mylifesjourney Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker but, my friends have all tried Chantix. It works! Four people tried, four people quit, in less than 2 months. You can do it, never give up
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I quit with Chantix 5.5 years ago. Use the website with the "quit coach" type ideas. They seem silly. I.E., write a good bye letter to your cigarettes. Do them anyway.