PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Emotional freedom technique also known as EFT or "Tapping". Check out youtube.

The theory behind it is that there is negative energy stored up in the meridians in your body. BY tapping on accupressure points you release this energy.

Yeah sounds like a bunch of crap right? It worked for me and I'm a skeptic.

From my experience: when something big let go in my mind/body it felt like I ran 30 miles and what I was feeling/dealing with was just gone.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    i used the patch. it's a 3 step system...I kinda accelerated it a bit though...i bought two of the step 1's, and 1 of the step 2 and 3's. I used sugar free candies and twizzlers whenever I felt a craving, and i drank tons of water. I smoked for about 15 years. My sis and I quit at the same time. We live together too...and we are still friends. She smoked almost as long as I did. We knew there were going to be withdrawal symptoms, but we just made sure to give each other space and be respectful. We survived. Watch out for stressful situations...taking a walk will help with that. My father, mother and grandmother quit cold turkey. My aunt used a hypnotist. No one in my family has went back to smoking...so there are plenty of options. I'm glad I did it...i got $600.00 back on health insurance as an incentive too. lol Glad I did it...keep trying 'til you succeed. :-)

Yeah---I've heard from a lot of long-time smokers that the patch is the only thing that helped them kick the habit. I quit cold turkey, but then I had only been smoking from about age 21 to 24. I understand that it is more difficult for those who started early and have smoked a long time. But I have known a number of early/long-time smokers who have been successful (with the patch). I would suggest trying sugarless gum rather than candy canes though. Trading rotten teeth for clear lungs is probably a poor trade-off. :wink: You can kick it!
  • smokeyg01
    smokeyg01 Posts: 1,064
    Options
    I basically smoke all day long. I smoke when I wake up, after I eat, when I'm bored and especially at home when I'm around my family. That's a whole other situation. Its tough. I've tried in the past.
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking same time I started dieting, used the nicotine gum and now the spray. I went from the nicer mint gum to the nastier stuff so I'd feel less inclined.

Bit over 6 months I probably still have a reasonable nicotine addiction going on, but not had a smoke. I can happily sit around people smoking, and just enjoy the smell. I miss the smell the most. If the wind is right inside my house I can smell the next door neighbour smoking on his verandah - and I just think wow something smells tasty.
  • keishadanielle9
    keishadanielle9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked so I dunno how my advice will be...but maybe when u get a craving to smoke, replace it with something....candy, juice, dancing, whatever the case may be.
  • angelawilliamsdunford
    Options
    I smoked for 14 years; I started when I was 14. I hated quitting; I cried for like 2 weeks straight. I used the patch & Wellbutrin. This was six years ago. I tried to quit about sixteen different times. Obviously I failed the first fifteen times and succeeded the sixteenth. So my first bit of advice would be preserverance. Don't give up on yourself. I just had genetic testing done at 23andme and genetics play a big role in addiction to cigarettes. So I suppose my 2nd piece of advice would be Don't blame yourself. These two things. You can do it; it is really hard but you can do it.
  • Jessimaaka
    Jessimaaka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 13 years and used Champix (Chantix in the US). You get to smoke for the first week to 2 weeks (ie you get to pick the day depending how you feel each day). I had a 3 month prescription and only used 3 weeks of it. It doesn't work for everyone (made my husband sick....he still smokes). Good luck! Check out the support groups for it too, having support makes a huge difference.
  • eena830
    eena830 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I went for years cutting down one a day. I was at one cigg a day for a couple years. Then I just stopped and kept super busy. When I would crave I would go for a walk or drink glasses of water
  • melissab6968
    melissab6968 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am coming up on my 2 yr quit anniversary and I did it with Chantix and a big motivator! I couldn't have a surgery done until I did quit. There have been times I wanted to start up again but I am holding strong! If you are motivated enough to lose the weight you did, I am sure you can put your mind to quitting! Good luck!! If you need to talk, add me!
  • yummymummy65
    yummymummy65 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The decision to Quit smoking is very similar to that of wanting to loose weight. To be successful at either you must want it bad enough and to me it certainly sounds like you do. And once you've made the decision to quit or to lose weight, it's purely a mental thing. In short, it's mind over matter. In other words, every thing you want to cheat-be it smoke or cheat on your diet, you need to ask yourself the reason for you quitting in the first place. Knowing the reason will help you overcome your urges to smoke or cheat, ect.

I quit 7 years ago and had been smoking for 25 years. My reason for quitting was that I wanted to be around to see my daughter grow up. It was Sunday january 12, 2007. I made the decision to quit that morning. I left my pack of cigs on the table before leaving the room. I closed the door and haven't looked back since. To help reduce my cravings, I removed all triggers in my life ie. going to bars and clubs, stopped hanging out with friends who smoked, ect. And when things got tough, I reminded myself of the reason for quitting.

You can do this. I know you can. Mind over matter and remove all triggers. Good luck!
  • Jamers1986
    Options
    The smoking cessation classes at my work have people try both using the patch and gum if you are a heavy smoker. They have a pretty good success rate. Also you could talk to your doctor about putting you on wellbutrin it helps with the cravings and stress. Good luck and you can do it!
  • smokeyg01
    Options
    I thank everyone for responding. I hope with all the support I'm going to receive from all my mfp friends I'll be able to quit.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Very hard, but you can do it.... I used Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, I put a capful in my water bottles and drank it non stop. I also would do a shot if the craving got so bad that I was going to smoke otherwise. I have quit before, but this was so much easier without so much suffering, and it really helped eliminate the cravings. The emotional part was the hardest for me this time. I went from laughing to crying to laughing to crying about every hour... this also stopped in about a week.
  • smokeyg01
    Options
    thanks to all that responded. i cut back today so far. only had 2.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My Great Grandpa quit very late in life. He cut back with the help of hard candy and 50 lb bags of in-shell pecans. Instead of sitting outside smoking, we'd ship massive bags of pecans to him when they were in season (from a local orchard), and he'd sit for hours unshelling them to perfection. He refused to use a nutcracker--just a light hammer and a sort of pick. He insisted on getting every half out in complete piece. Come Thanksgiving and Christmas, he'd have mason jars full of perfectly shelled pecans that he'd gift to people. He lived to be 94 years old and died of a brain aneurysm. Autopsy revealed he also had very advanced lung cancer even though no one knew it. (FYI his nonsmoking cousin? lived to be 107).

As for Grandpa, he ended up in the hospital with pneumonia one winter. The nurses forced him to quit cold turkey and from what I understand it wasn't fun. BUT once he got out he stuck with it. Hasn't smoked since even though I know he wants to sometimes.