Smoothies/ Milkshakes

Options
I am looking for a smoothie/ milkshake recipe that will not take up 1/3 of my calorie intake for the day. I like to have a shake in the morning for breakfast, but it only fills me up for a little while. I need a recipe that includes fruit and doesn't taste bad. I don't like the slimfast shakes or anything similar so I am at a loss. HELP!!!!

Replies

• AsterJade
    AsterJade Posts: 3
    Options
    I am looking for a smoothie/ milkshake recipe that will not take up 1/3 of my calorie intake for the day. I like to have a shake in the morning for breakfast, but it only fills me up for a little while. I need a recipe that includes fruit and doesn't taste bad. I don't like the slimfast shakes or anything similar so I am at a loss. HELP!!!!
  • ChristyA
    ChristyA Posts: 2
    Options
    I have tried the smoothy recipe that's sometimes on the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt container. It calls for FF yogurt (plain or vanilla) and fruit. I can't remember if it calls for fruit juice or ice though. I'll take a peek when I get home tonight and let you know. It's really good though and is only about 200 calories, depending on the ingredients you select.
  • ChristyA
    ChristyA Posts: 2
    Options
    Interestingly enough, I just saw this article on Yahoo about smoothies.

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/beautyeats/13681/juice-bar-smoothies-the-best-and-worst

About the home-made smoothies, here is the recipe on the Dannon Light and Fit yogurt container:

Pick a juice: Orange, Cranberry, Grapefruit, Pineapple
    Pick a fruit: Bananas, Peaches, Blueberries, Strawberries

Recipe: 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup juice, 1/2 diced fruit (fresh or canned), and 1/2 cup ice cubes. Place together in a blender, cover, and blend on high for one minute until smooth. Makes one generous serving. Shake thickness will vary based on the fruit you choose. Adjust the amounts to obtain the desired taste and consistency. Experiment with different varieties. The fun and frosty combinations are endless.

HTH
  • suzanobrien
    Options
    I love to make smoothies. I do a half cup of frozen fruit (whatever you like), I personally go for the mixed berry, a half cup of fat free vanilla yogurt, and a splash of Orange Juice (without pulp)... throw it into a blender, mix er up, there ya go...
  • AsterJade
    AsterJade Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, I will try this out and see how it works. Thanks!!!
  • theGuest
    theGuest Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i love a smoothy after the gym.

this one is 200 cals and its thick and tastes like ice cream!!!

the secret is protein powder. I use Whey Gourmet because it tastes like ice cream - vanilla is my fav, but they have chocolate, raspberry, orange, strawberry etc.

.5 cup water
    2 ice cubes
    1 (designated) cup of protein powder.
    .5 frozen banana

thats all you need and its thick and cold. its a dream.

add cantelope for a light taste instead of bottled or packaged juice
  • charley078
    charley078 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have this for breakfast 5 days a week ...
    1 ice cube
    3/4 cup- DOLE frozen fruit red, yellow, orange & green mix - (60 cal. for 3/4 cup)
    4 oz.- Tropicana Light N' Healthy Orange Juice(low pulp, no pulp,lots of pulp, calcium)-(25 cal.for 4oz.)
    2 oz- Dannon Light & Fit No Fat Plain Vanilla Yogurt -(20 cal. for 2 oz.)

throw it in the smoothie machine or blender..... makes between 12-16 oz....... I buy stro-foam cus with tops, grab a straw & take to work...

NOTE: the Dole fruit combo has: strawberries& red grapes (red), peaches (orange), pineapple (yellow) and honeydew (green)
    UNDER 100 CALORIES & FILLING......GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • rebramm
    rebramm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your guys are good. I would just go to Smoothie King and pay a fortune.
  • beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump

quote="charley078;2710"]I have this for breakfast 5 days a week ...
    1 ice cube
    3/4 cup- DOLE frozen fruit red, yellow, orange & green mix - (60 cal. for 3/4 cup)
    4 oz.- Tropicana Light N' Healthy Orange Juice(low pulp, no pulp,lots of pulp, calcium)-(25 cal.for 4oz.)
    2 oz- Dannon Light & Fit No Fat Plain Vanilla Yogurt -(20 cal. for 2 oz.)

throw it in the smoothie machine or blender..... makes between 12-16 oz....... I buy stro-foam cus with tops, grab a straw & take to work...

NOTE: the Dole fruit combo has: strawberries& red grapes (red), peaches (orange), pineapple (yellow) and honeydew (green)
    UNDER 100 CALORIES & FILLING......GOOD LUCK!!!!![/quote]

• beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    theGuest wrote: »
    i love a smoothy after the gym.

this one is 200 cals and its thick and tastes like ice cream!!!

the secret is protein powder. I use Whey Gourmet because it tastes like ice cream - vanilla is my fav, but they have chocolate, raspberry, orange, strawberry etc.

.5 cup water
    2 ice cubes
    1 (designated) cup of protein powder.
    .5 frozen banana

thats all you need and its thick and cold. its a dream.

add cantelope for a light taste instead of bottled or packaged juice

Bump
  • TheScarlettOHara
    TheScarlettOHara Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Kale, Cucumber, Chi Seeds, Avocado and Coconut water. It's under 200cals.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    CHERRY BERRY SMOOTHIE
    Ingredients:

1 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 ripe avocado
    1 apple (cored, peeled & diced)
    2 cups coconut milk
    1T coconut oil (optional)
    6 ice cubes

Blend and enjoy!

I just came across this one shared on facebook so I saved it I have no idea what the calorie intake is as yet but it does look rather healthy and maybe even filling
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    My regular is:
    1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup spinach
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberrries
    1 cup light almond milk

220 calories
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I like my smoothies in the higher cal range... They're not filling for me under 300 calories.

I like this one from the Oh She Glows blog:

1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
    1 cup kale
    1 apple (gala or green)
    1 cup cucumber
    1/2 cup celery
    1/4 cup frozen mango
    1/8 cup fresh mint
    2-4 tbsp hemp seeds
    *** Optional*** 1 tbsp coconut oil

Super fresh and refreshing.

PopSugar Weight Loss Smoothie:

1 pear
    1 kiwi
    1 cup frozen raspberries
    1/4 avocado
    1 cup spinach
    3 oz Greek yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon flaxseed
    2 cups water

Alton Brown had a good one too.

4 oz milk (cow, almond or soy)
    4 oz purple juice (grape, acai, or pomegranate)
    4 oz bananas
    4 oz frozen blue berries (blueberries or blackberries)
    4 oz frozen red berries (raspberries or strawberries)
    4 oz frozen peaches

Makes 3 servings.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to contribute, but I don't think I have ever seen a 7.5 year old necro thread before :noway:
  • jll2326
    jll2326 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound odd, but I am looking for a shake or smoothie that doesn't have clumps of fruit still in it. I don't like the texture of any fruit and that obviously is a huge problem. There are also some fruits that I don't like the taste of. I'm trying to find an easy recipe so that I don't just stop and get a donut on the way to work!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I let bananas get quite ripe on the counter, peel them, and wrap individually and put in the freezer. A frozen banana, a cup of unsweetened soy milk, and a couple sprinkles of cinnamon whirred in a standard cheap blender makes a great smoothie. Frozen blueberries and frozen dark sweet cherries also make great smoothies. A regular blender will pulversize the fruit so you don't feel it. Avoid fruits with seeds like raspberries unless you don't mind the feeling of the little seeds.

As to the dairy, use whatever kind of milk you prefer and add or don't add yogurt as you wish. I find yogurt can make a smoothie too tart for my taste so might sneak in a squit of honey.

If you want to goose up the protein, throw some protein powder in. Things like vanilla extract, etc. can be good. On occasion, I even peel a clementine and throw it in but you need to whir a little longer to cut up the filaments on the outside of the sections.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    i often do this : 1 scoop vanilla whey, tablespoon cocoa powder half cup rasberries, 3/4 cup almond milk, tablespoon almond or peanut butter. under 300 calories , tons of fiber and about 28 grams of protein and healthy fats to keep me satiated.
  • lesdenise711
    Options
    I usually have this every day-
    1/2 c plain fat free Greek yogurt
    1 banana
    1/2 c blueberries or raspberries or frozen peaches or whatever I have. Pineapple is good too. Honey if you like it sweeter. Add some water and blend. So yummy! I add spinach if I have it. This thread is from 2007???
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My go to smoothie is frozen strawberries, a banana, a tsp of vanilla, chia seeds and some water. This week I've been doing a banana with some frozen mango & fresh spinach. My smoothies are always just fruits/ veggies, water & chia seeds.