Are you really losing weight by counting calories?

Options

Replies

• CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lose weight by counting calories, but I lose more weight when the quality of the calories are better than the quantity. For me, it takes a lot of fruits and veggies and basically eating clean.

I just started doing this in December and didn't weigh myself until the beginning of January, so my pound count isn't really that accurate. Since I started weighing myself, I lost 4 lbs, then gained it back because I upped my calories a little, then lost the 4 lbs again when I started cleaning up my diet and making my food choices better quality foods.
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Wow I bet it took you a while to reading all these posts! I got half way through them and said, I am DONE!
  • pagoubupa
    pagoubupa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I count calories and it works :).
    SW 356
    CW 267
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has taught me how to eat properly. I've refined what good food is, and what foods that I used to enjoy just aren't worth it. In short I've gone from 360 pounds to 200 pounds and totally changed my life!

Almost as life changing as calorie counting is exercise, give that a shot too!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost 65lbs..by counting calories. Yes, it has taught me stuff. I prelog my food the night before to help me hit my goals.
    SW: 185
    CW: 120.2
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Yup well more so portion control
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is as simple as that. Once you get that part down, work on eating healthier, a little strength training and pretty soon you'll have it all under control.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit. How do you know when you have one without counting SOMEthing...whether its WW points or Nutrisystem meals or calories and exercise. Im counting calories, and its working, pretty effortlessly. Nothing is off limits, nothing is "bad"...just making better choices most of the time. I started out at 210...and now am only 9 lbs from my goal.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yup, without exercise and just counting calories I lose about 1 pound a week, with exercise, 2-3 pounds a week :)
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise?
    Yes

Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision?
    Yes. knowing that i can have an apple or a slice of cheese for roughly the same calories makes me happy. (or an apple vs a chocolate)

What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories?
    Measure, weigh, record. extra exercise

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories?
    SW380
    CW270
  • Lyndzyy
    Options
    Yup. Started at Christmas, I won't lie- it is hard... but it seriously works.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    absolutely. When I looked at serving size and how much food was on my plate, I was shocked at the difference. Knowing what I am eating is empowering. I still eat what I want but all in moderation, aka, within calorie limits.

I set a goal of exercising 3 times a week. That's it. So if I miss a day, it isn't the end of the world.

I am down 20 lbs since Jan 1.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes.

At first I just started logging to 'see' where I was at, calorie-wise.
    Was mortified at the number of cals.
    Was mortified at how little of the crap I was eating, that I could eat, to stay under my cals.
    Started researching the forums for breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas.
    Was mortified by the amount of processed crap I was eating.
    Shocked by the amount of sodium in said processed food.
    Found skinnytaste.com.
    Bought a scale and made good use of existing measuring cups, spoons.
    Started exercising and found out that I could eat ex. cals if I wanted to AND still lose weight. Yes, yesss, yesssss!!!!!!!!
    I'm down 40lbs, staying about the same weight now, but I'm still losing inches.
    I make room for 'treats' or 'junk' I used to eat, by exercising or eating fewer cals at my other meals of the day.
    Life is good. Food is good. Being healthy is good!
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Definitely. I am much better at portion control now. Best of all, it has definitely helped me in building and following a nutrition plan that is healthy and fits my likes and lifestyle. As an added bonus, MFP´s food database has also helped me improve my English vocabulary (I'm not a native speaker).
    Just wanted to say I'm an ESL teacher (English as a second language) and your writing is better than some native speakers :)
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely losing from counting calories. I'm also more aware of my portion sizes and how many calories in the foods. I think it helps me make better choices along way. I do tend to go over on my calories some days but I just roll with the punches. I figure that I could use a cheat meal once a week or so.

sw235
    cw204
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Are you really losing weight by just counting calories and exercise? Yes to the counting calories (and staying more or less at goal each day)

Is counting your calories teaching you to make better decision? Yup - make bad decisions and you can't stay at your calorie goal!

What are you doing to make sure you stay under your calories? Eating mostly fresh and/or home cooked food. I eat hardly anything processed and I shop around the edges of the supermarket!

If you don't mind please also tell me you start weight and current weight from when you started counting your calories?
    SW: 230 lbs
    CW: 168 lbs
    GW: 140 - 144 lbs

I set a 1 lb per week target loss and achieved that as an average over the whole of 2012. Increased my calories to maintenance over the Christmas/New year period and didn' t gain. Am now back in loss mode.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No. Counting calories doesn't make you lose weight unless you are making sure that you are eating and drinking less calories than you are burning. Making sure I don't eat too many calories has helped me to lose 78 pounds in 5 months. I exercise to be physically fit but don't depend on that to lose weight. This site has helped me to make sure I get good nutrition by getting the proper amount of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. I have tried to cut back on processed foods as much as possible in order to get as many nutrients as possible. This has helped me to have a much healthier diet. My high weight was 356 pounds, my current weight is 250 pounds and my goal weight is 179 pounds which I hope to reach before the end of 2013.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    I'm just curious....OTHER THAN watching calories, how do you think one would lose weight?

There are many ways to lose weight...When I did the body4 life program. I ate protein and carbs in every meal. Five meals a day. I didn't look at calories. I just wanted to know how man fat grams were in the food I ate..It worked, but I didn't have the discipline to eat only healthy foods every day...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious....OTHER THAN watching calories, how do you think one would lose weight?

There are many ways to lose weight...When I did the body4 life program. I ate protein and carbs in every meal. Five meals a day. I didn't look at calories. I just wanted to know how man fat grams were in the food I ate..It worked, but I didn't have the discipline to eat only healthy foods every day...
    Whether you were counting them or not, it was still a caloric deficit that caused the weight loss, though.
  • latoyasmith1985
    latoyasmith1985 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your response.