Emotional Eating

Options
Today has been an emotional day for me and when I get emotional I eat. So does anyone have any tips that will help this?? It seems like the longer I ignore it the more intense the feeling to eat becomes.

Replies

• GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater as well and have spent years eating my emotions. Take it one step at a time.

Track everything - as soon as you can. Try to track things before you eat it. I know that this can help me.

Good luck! You can do it.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Go here my dear: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/96083-book-club-women-food-and-god-author-geneen-roth?page=1#posts-1330315

I watched Geneen Roth on Oprah yesterday. She was talking about you and I. :flowerforyou: She wrote: Women, Food and God. She spoke to me. I have gained and lost a million times. :ohwell: When I am upset, I eat....errrrr...I did. I am making changes thanks to the tools and support on MFP. I am getting that book this weekend, if I can. I may have to order it, I heard some are having trouble due to the Oprah affect. Join me Tues. on the thread I posted above, even if you can't get the book yet. Let's get down to the bottom of this together so we can break through this barrier. What are we really hungry for? :heart:

All the best,
    Fab
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Remove yourself from a food situation immediately. If you are anything like me you may need to ask someone else to prepare dinner if you can't control yourself when you get upset.

Also - find your gateway food. Mine is chocolate. I have to avoid it most days in order to keep my eating in check (one bite, and my body chemistry screams for me to eat eat eat!).
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. Before I had family and children my method of dealing with the overwhelming desire to eat was to escape. I would put on my walk-man and just run, or find another intense activity that removed the opportunity to eat. It is really trying to switch a bad habit for a good one. Now I can not run out the door and walkman's are antiques, but I have found if I run or race walk twice a week at a local track I can work out some of my own stress by just pounding the pavement and listening to some great music if I throw in intervals of sprinting I actually lose the desire to eat crap. But if I slip up the extra calories burned doing running or race walking add up quickly and allow for some of my bad behaviours to not do as much damage. I also have heard that people that journal about their food and really slow down to think about what they are eating have some success. However my impulse eating is not unlike a addict. I think the Kate Moss edict of "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is beautiful. But I would argue that when you have the warm ooze of cheeseburger mixed with silken mayo dripping down your chin, for one fleeting moment when you really feel so satisfied it is hard to remember that skinny feels great, because all I can think is: I will work on skinny tomorrow!
  • emilymorene
    emilymorene Posts: 56
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Greatly appreciated!