do i eat enough calories?

2»

Replies

• Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate - this is the amount of calories they would feed you in a coma just to keep your organs, brain, breathing functioning.

TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure - this is your BMR plus everything you need to fuel all of your activity, getting up, moving around, walking from the couch to the kitchen, going to your car to go to work, exercise, cleaning, everything you do in a day.

You need to eat more than BMR, but less than TDEE.

In general, people should never eat only BMR or less, unless directed by a doctor, if they are very obese, or have some condition which warrants that, for a time. Eating at BMR will slow down your metabolism, and this is not what you want to do when you are trying to burn more calories and lose weight.

MFP will figure out an estimated TDEE for you, but then to get your calorie goal, it simply subtracts a certain number of calories based on how many pounds a week you tell it you want to lose, but to a minimum of 1200. It completely ignores your BMR in doing so.

For example, say your TDEE is 2,200. You tell MFP you want to lose 2 pounds per week. It subtracts 1,000 calories a day and tells you to eat 1,200. Even if your BMR is 1,400. Now if you are a person who exercises and you eat your 1,200 and you earn 200-300 calories for that activity, now you are eating 1400-1500, which is still just barely over BMR.

And this is why I am hosting a 30 day challenge to teach people to eat at this calorie goal instead of starving themselves at 1200 :P
    What's the challenge? :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    my BMR is : 1714

And my TDEE is: 2656

but that amount is to maintain my weight, it told me on a different site if its to lose weight i should low my calorie intake by 500

Yes, your TDEE is also called "maintenance calories" because that is the level you would maintain weight.

2656 x 20% = 531 and 2656 - 531 = 2125.

So, if you ate about 2000 calories a day, that would be a healthy range.

Now, since you have been eating a lot less than that, you might say it is hard to eat that much. You will need to find some healthy calorie dense foods. Eat full fat dairy, not low fat. Avocados. Nuts & seeds. Peanut butter.
  • pm_rose
    pm_rose Posts: 3 Member
    I'm trying to figure this out too. TDEE is set by MFP. Correct? But it subtacts those calories from your BMR Correct? So, if I understand this correctly, you should add the calories back in and stay below the total correct?

BMR+TDEE=Total calories to maintain.

To lose you must eat above your BMR but below your TDEE. Is this right? Thanks in advance.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    okay doeky :) thankyou for helping me everyone, never really been good with calorie counting or how to work out how much i should be having, so your replies have been a really helpful
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,262 Member

but that amount is to maintain my weight, it told me on a different site if its to lose weight i should low my calorie intake by 500

Yes, your TDEE is also called "maintenance calories" because that is the level you would maintain weight.

Now, since you have been eating a lot less than that, you might say it is hard to eat that much. You will need to find some healthy calorie dense foods. Eat full fat dairy, not low fat. Avocados. Nuts & seeds. Peanut butter.

Yep, eat around 2000. Using this method you do NOT eat back exercise calories. I eat the same and it works wonderfully for me!!
  • beckieboomoo
    that sounds alot easier ha. When i first joined i was like what the hell is net calories :L
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I'm trying to figure this out too. TDEE is set by MFP. Correct? But it subtacts those calories from your BMR Correct? So, if I understand this correctly, you should add the calories back in and stay below the total correct?

BMR+TDEE=Total calories to maintain.

To lose you must eat above your BMR but below your TDEE. Is this right? Thanks in advance.

If you use MFP method, then when you exercise, it adds more calories for you to eat to fuel it.

If you use the TDEE - a percentage method, then you would not eat exercise calories.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member

Yep, eat around 2000. Using this method you do NOT eat back exercise calories. I eat the same and it works wonderfully for me!!

you still eat back your exercise calories. if you eat 2000 and burn 1000, your net is then 1000, which is not the 2000 you're aiming for. if you want to not eat back your calories, eat your tdee.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

you still eat back your exercise calories. if you eat 2000 and burn 1000, your net is then 1000, which is not the 2000 you're aiming for. if you want to not eat back your calories, eat your tdee.

no, your TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure, i.e maintenance calories.

This already includes your exercise calories, if you ate your TDEE you would maintain.
  • jaymek92

This already includes your exercise calories, if you ate your TDEE you would maintain.

right. if you want to lose weight, you can either eat at tdee - x% and make sure you eat back your exercise calories (thus netting tdee - x%).
    or you can eat your tdee and not eat back your exercise calories (thus thus netting tdee - y%).
    what mandy is doing is eating tdee - x% and then also not eating her exercise calories (therefore, tdee - x% - y%). this is fewer calories than what she should be eating based on her tdee and a healthy caloric deficit.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Q: do i eat enough calories?
    A: no

It's always no.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member

right. if you want to lose weight, you can either eat at tdee - x% and make sure you eat back your exercise calories (thus netting tdee - x%).
    or you can eat your tdee and not eat back your exercise calories (thus thus netting tdee - y%).
    what mandy is doing is eating tdee - x% and then also not eating her exercise calories (therefore, tdee - x% - y%). this is fewer calories than what she should be eating based on her tdee and a healthy caloric deficit.

:noway: PLEASE IGNORE ^^^^^^^^ and listen to Ravenlady68 who has got this right. Jaymek92 you need to go and read up about TDEE before handing out any more wrong advice :drinker:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

No, she is doing it correctly. The T part od TDEE is TOTAL, which means everything, including exercise calories. So you just need a defict from that. It isn't any more complicated,

This may help explain better - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    some days my net can vary normally my next is around 500 . so i need to get my next up to or more than 1200? and i worked out my BMR and it said to be able to loose weight i need to eat around 1220 calories and i will go look up my TDEE now :)

Honestly if I was you I would bin all ideas of eating at 1200 a day. It's ok while your enthusiastic about weight loss, but after a few months believe me it takes its toll, especially when you are exercising a lot. I would do like you said, and read into your TDEE. Get your head around the figures, and shoot for a 20% reduction from your TDEE. That's easily sustainable, and much easier to stick with longer term.

this!
  • jaymek92
    No, she is doing it correctly. The T part od TDEE is TOTAL, which means everything, including exercise calories. So you just need a defict from that. It isn't any more complicated,

This may help explain better - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

thank you for being polite and not copping an attitude with me for misunderstanding.
    however, if, one day/week you are exceptionally active or end up netting less than your bmr, you would need to eat back some of your exercise calories, correct?
    tdee calculators give you a number based on estimates and use ranges like 1-2 hours of light exercise, 3-4 hours of moderate exercise, and 5-7 hours of strenuous exercise. so what happens if you do 1-2 hours of strenuous exercise or 5-7 hours of light exercise? would you then base your numbers on the 1-2 hours of light exercise and then eat more back, since you're doing more exercise?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I would question whether you are actually burning over 300 calories in 20 minutes, unless you are using a heart rate monitor to calculate that. Mfp and exercise machines are notorious for overestimating.
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    read the road map post, it will answer all your questions about this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

very detailed and very helpful, the calories you eat are all determined on how you calculate your TDEE if you are using that method, just read it.
  • beckieboomoo
    okay thanks guys :)
  • chantey16
    chantey16 Posts: 27 Member
    I'm about 99% sure the 1200 daily = 1200 net calories, meaning after factoring in food + calories burned, you should be at 1,200.

(as in, if i burn ~800 calories doing insanity, I should eat 2,000)

^^

i second this