Help, Too many Calories not enough time in the day

Options
Ok, here it goes. I have only been doing this about two weeks, but I am really having issues eating enough calories. I am super positive and know this is finally the thing for me that is going to work. I feel great. I am making smart choices all day, eating well balanced healthy meals and snacks, then after dinner time, I still have 600 or more calories left. I am supposed to have 1840 calories a day and I am struggling to hit that. Then I seem to have to on purpose sabotage my entire day of healthy food by eating something I one do not want and two that isn't healthy just to reach my goal. I was going to try and supplement with a protein shake, but I am very close or over my protein daily. I lost 8 pounds my first week, 3 my second, and 31 inches total and am incredibly ecstatic about that., but just don't want to put the junk in my body any longer. Please help, any suggestions, ideas or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Posting here cause I have similar questions :) Hopefully someone will swoop in and save us.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, avocado, nut butters, eggs, dark chocolate, smoothie. Gong over your protein isn't a worry unless you have kidney problems. Many on here exceed 100g per day, especially if active. But nuts and seeds are a very easy way. 600 odd calories per 100g.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Plan ahead!! Figure out your meal breakdown the day before so you know what you need to eat an when. Adding calorie dense foods like throbbing Graelwyn mentioned plus meats will help. Also don't fall into the diet food trap, just because you're losing weight doesn't mean you should eat only diet foods, pick the full fat version, it tastes better anyway ;)
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will definitely try the suggestions below. I appreciate the help. I am trying to do the majority of whole foods, I shoot for very little processed and totally try to stay away from the "diet" food. I am afraid to begin exercise more because there is no way to eat that much. It broke my heart to have to over eat to get the goal calories. I cannot wait to try tomorrow.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would try to plan a little bit more calories to each meal. It's easy to jack up the calories by cooking with a little extra olive oil or coconut oil or adding butter to your veggies.

Then, I would have a nice big glass of milk with a warm PB&J on toast before bed. That's my absolute favorite bedtime snack.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue, now I add some grated cheese to my salad, use full fat dressing or oil on salads, use full fat cheese, snack on a handful of nuts or olives, swap my super low cal crispbread for heavier, more grainy crispbreads, using a little butter to fry my egg instead of dry-frying...
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good fats can help you get there. As you might know, 1g of fat contains 9 calories which is more calories than 1g protein and 1g of a carb combined. Graelwyn75 made some great suggestions. Another way to get there is to either add a condiment to your existing meals or start logging condiments you're using to your diary if you're not. A lot of people don't add stuff like ketchup, but it can add up very fast. Another is to consume liquids that contain calories, a common choice might be 8-16oz glass of milk. If you're taking a whey protein supplement, instead of mixing with water try it with milk.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There is no need to be perfect and categorize foods as being healthy and not healthy - it's all about context. What that means is you can meet all your micro and macro nutrient needs before you even hit your goal of 1800 calories. Thus, you can fill in the remaining calories with whatever you want whether it be cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. As long as it's within your calorie goal, feel free to treat yourself and not be so rigid. Rigidity is what makes people quit.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. I started tracking about two weeks ago, and every day I'm under my calorie goal- generally by around 500, but sometimes up to 1000. I have difficulty believing that I wouldn't be hungry (and I'm not) if I was actually undereating so significantly and exercising daily (which I do).
  • JO4IT
    JO4IT Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have that same problem, but I think ALMONDS are a great choice for a quick, healthly calorie boost (and delicious!)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. I started tracking about two weeks ago, and every day I'm under my calorie goal- generally by around 500, but sometimes up to 1000. I have difficulty believing that I wouldn't be hungry (and I'm not) if I was actually undereating so significantly and exercising daily (which I do).
    Research leptin, your satiety and master hormone. It's levels drop during restriction ultimately to the point you are getting false confirmations that you have met energy needs when you truly have not. So it's very easy to underfeed your body if you simply listen to skewed hunger cues.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my protein amount every day. However my dietican told me that she would rather me be over the protein and not the carbs. I tend to go over every day but I am loosing. The key here is that protein fills an satisfys most people. The protein will not make you gain weight but will help you to loose it. Protein does not have carbohydrates in it so that works for me. Hope this helps! Have a Health day tomorrow. Try mytip and see what happens. Best Wishes
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I started adding KIND Bars everyday.. Good for you..lot of nuts, fiber, vitamins.. great way to use some calories up.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    There is no need to be perfect and categorize foods as being healthy and not healthy - it's all about context. What that means is you can meet all your micro and macro nutrient needs before you even hit your goal of 1800 calories. Thus, you can fill in the remaining calories with whatever you want whether it be cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. As long as it's within your calorie goal, feel free to treat yourself and not be so rigid. Rigidity is what makes people quit.

This ^^
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for some perfect, healthy food and eat something. A slice of pizza won't make you fat. Neither with a glass of chocolate milk. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich won't kill you. Hell, have a snickers bar before you end each day 800 cals under goal. And let's be clear, you already have a deficit built into your calories, so 800 below is actually 1800 below.

Let's step it up and eat some food.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Peanut butter + spoon
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, as others have said--add sunflower seeds, walnuts or other nuts to your salad. Perhaps a tblsp of peanut butter with celery and other vegies for a snack? It seems that whenever I include nuts as my snack, I don't have a problem getting close to my daily requirement (although I am under sometimes, but not too much.)
  • libertarian4321
    libertarian4321 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A couple of slices of pizza should do the trick?

Or I guess you could go with something high in protein like low fat cottage cheese or chicken breast.
  • CABasile
    CABasile Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add one other comment. I'm not an expert--just my thoughts. Personally, I would stay away from the philosophy that once you have eaten your balanced diet and are still under the calories, you can finish up with anything your heart desires--cake, cookies, etc. I think that since I've started eating better foods (more vegies and less meat) my body feels better when I don't put the processed sweets in it. Sometimes I crave a little something sweet and I will eat a cookie (and track it), but I think for me, if I ate too many of them, my body would start to crave the sugar again. Then I might start hoarding the calories just so I could eat more sweet things. So although I will allow myself to have an occasional sweet, I try to remind myself that my body and mind feel better if I stay away from them.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, almonds, avocados.

All of them are healthy and LOADED with calories.