Breakfast

Options
I know it's the most important meal of the day because it gets your metabolism going. But what if you simply DO NOT have time for breakfast? As it is, I am already getting up before daylight and it's rushing all morning. I barely have time to get ready for work. My kids school is 30 minutes away so I have to get them to the bus stop really early and from there, I have an almost hour commute to work. I grab a bottled Starbucks mocha frappuccino out of the fridge as we are rushing out of the door and that is my breakfast. Is this adequate enough? It's honestly all I have time for during the week.

Replies

• weightloser122
    Options
    There has to be something healthier that you can just grab and go than that. Cook HB eggs in advance? grab a banana and a yogurt? Even a protein bar would be better
  • Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There has to be something healthier that you can just grab and go than that. Cook HB eggs in advance? grab a banana and a yogurt? Even a protein bar would be better
    Allergic to bananas and gag on hard boiled eggs lol. Maybe I would have time to toss a Smart Ones breakfast sandwich in the microwave while I'm getting ready.
  • leanbody4life
    leanbody4life Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree there are better options out there other then a frapp. I would try your breakfast sandwich or do a protein drink at least then you are getting something out of it.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My husband has very little time in the mornings too.

Some weeks he makes a batch of healthy muffins on Sunday and puts them in the freezer, then just grabs one, heats it for 10 seconds and eats it on the way to work. (He also has a banana but you could grab and apple or something)

Those Starbucks frappucino things are NOT healthy and I highly doubt they have any of the nutrients you need at all. Is there nothing else you could substitute? One of those yoghurt drinks? A smoothie made the night before and put in the fridge?

Surely there are plenty of things that you can premake and just grab and go that don't have the sugar and fat content of those things?
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    The bottled ones actually don't have a lot of sugar and they are low in fat. They are only 180 calories for the 9.5 oz. bottle. Now the ones you get at Starbucks that are frozen and blended...different story lol.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would go even with the protein bar over the smart ones breakfast. I used to pour some Bolthouse Farms or Happy Planet premade smoothie in travel cup with some protein powder on rushed mornings
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat reakfast if you dont want it. just make sure you hit your calorie goal.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal in a mug and eat it in the car.

It's my morning a lot of the time. I HAAAAATE oatmeal, but found out I actually like. It's "Better Oats." I like the blueberry muffin, and brown sugar one. I'll add a little bit of peanut butter, and just eat it in the car on the way to work. If you don't like oatmeal, you can do grits, and microwave some sausage crumbles and add it to the grits.

Both seriously take under 3 minutes.

Or take a bit maybe an hour, and make mini frittatas, and keep them in the fridge, and eat them in a tortilla, or toasted english muffins
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mini-frittatas-recipe/index.html here's a quick recipe.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    Yeah I would go even with the protein bar over the smart ones breakfast. I used to pour some Bolthouse Farms or Happy Planet premade smoothie in travel cup with some protein powder on rushed mornings
    My oldest son plays football and is on the power lifting team and he loves protein bars. I can't get past the smell lol. He also likes those powdered drinks that he mixes before lifting weights. I took a sip once...that kid has some weird taste buds because that was horrible lol.
    I may try the smoothies. If I don't like it, with my oldest around, it won't go to waste lol.
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I prepare one cup of fruit (blackberries or strawberries) the night before in a ziplock press and seal cup. I then throw a Special K breakfast sandwich in the microwave for 1.5 minutes and eat on my commute.

The Special K breakfast sandwiches are pretty new to the market. They have Egg and Cheese (180 calories), ham, egg and cheese (200 calories), and sausage, egg and cheese (240 calories, but well worth it).

Or, you could go with a protein bar.
  • Tecia1970
    Options

It's my morning a lot of the time. I HAAAAATE oatmeal, but found out I actually like. It's "Better Oats." I like the blueberry muffin, and brown sugar one. I'll add a little bit of peanut butter, and just eat it in the car on the way to work. If you don't like oatmeal, you can do grits, and microwave some sausage crumbles and add it to the grits.

Or take a bit maybe an hour, and make mini frittatas, and keep them in the fridge, and eat them in a tortilla, or toasted english muffins
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/mini-frittatas-recipe/index.html here's a quick recipe.
    I love grits but that's kinda hard to eat while driving lol. You mentioned sausage. Have you ever tried the Morning Star sausage patties? They are awesome! Hmmm, maybe I would have time to nuke one of those and roll it up in a low fat tortilla.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Even a special K breakfast shake would Naked Juice and a granola bar or protein bar would be better then a frapp.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't kickstart your metabolism. Diet induced thermogenesis is based on calories/macros. You'll get the same thermic effect if you eat breakfast at noon instead of 9am.

If you feel ok without breakfast, then just skip breakfast.
  • leanbody4life
    leanbody4life Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So I have tried a lot of protein shakes over the years and I found one that i really like its muscle milk and just blend in fruit or PB with milk or water with Ice.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat reakfast if you dont want it. just make sure you hit your calorie goal.

this. breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. your diet overall is what matters, not what time of day you eat.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    I prepare one cup of fruit (blackberries or strawberries) the night before in a ziplock press and seal cup. I then throw a Special K breakfast sandwich in the microwave for 1.5 minutes and eat on my commute.

The Special K breakfast sandwiches are pretty new to the market. They have Egg and Cheese (180 calories), ham, egg and cheese (200 calories), and sausage, egg and cheese (240 calories, but well worth it).

Or, you could go with a protein bar.
    I haven't seen those. I'll have to be on the lookout for them. I live in Mayberry (lol) so I don't know if they have them anywhere around here yet.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options

^This.
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I buy them at Krogers and WalMart, and I know Mayberry has a WalMart.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I love grits but that's kinda hard to eat while driving lol. You mentioned sausage. Have you ever tried the Morning Star sausage patties? They are awesome! Hmmm, maybe I would have time to nuke one of those and roll it up in a low fat tortilla.

I eat a lot while driving, or give myself an extra few minutes, cover a mug, and then eat it in the parking lot of work. Mugs do wonders. Hahaha. I bought a microwave egg cooker from target. It's from nordicware, and it takes 1 - 2 minutes to cook, i do that, and egg whites, and then add a few slices of lunch meat or a sausage patty to an english muffin, or into a tortilla! It's always under 5 minutes, and is better than some bottled drink.