Losing wieght but not inches

Options
So, since I have started all of this I have been losing numbers, 28 lbs so far but not one inch difference in my body, anywhere. Everyone tells me it will come off the face first and then hands and then the rest of the body slowly. The issue for me though is that my size is not changing at all. I watch my calories, I do cardio and lift weights. I have been to the doctor to have a bettery of tests run on me to see why. They pretty much tell me the test results and my BMI do not match, I equate it with being a really healthy fat person. Anyways, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Any advise would be apprciated.

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the positive thing is your results at the GP- its better to be fat and fit/healthy than slim and unfit/unhealthy- something I personally feel strongly about!!!

Secondly, as people have said, it does take time, how long have you been on your journey? have you switched up your exercise routine?
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have been back and forth for 3 years now. I only say this cause I have been out for 3 different abdominal surgeries since I started in Jan 2010. The most recent restart was Nov 2012 and since then I have lost 10 lbs with no change. I have switched up my routine once and then added in weight lifting.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    If you've lost 28 pounds I'm pretty sure you've lost inches as well but maybe your methods of measuring are off. Using a tape measure to measure our bodies is so very subjective depending on placement and how tight we pull....so don't stress just yet.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i found that it took about 14lb before i noticed a difference. perhaps the break in your weight loss may be part of the reason? not sure really, someone on here may be able to help, but just keep going, it will come off!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this was happening to someone on another forum, and the answer was back fat. you have fat all over your body unless you are extremely lean already, and there are places where the tape measure does not measure. This is why it's a good idea to take pictures of yourself, because you can see visually that fat has come off places where you haven't tape-measured. Back fat is something you can't see and many people don't really know it's there unless they reach their hand up to squish it or get someone to take pictures of themselves from the back. It doesnt come off all at once, so even if you're measuring your bust and waist, you can still be losing quite a lot of back fat without those measurements changing, e.g. if it's coming off the middle of your back or from behind your shoulders.

the body loses fat in weird ways, and most people tape measure around their middle, but for some that's actually the last place you lose fat from. A lot of people do lose fat in the face first, but not everyone. I retain fat around my waist, but someone i know on another forum lost fat from her torso first and her arms and legs last. It's very individual.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've been losing back fat! My measurements have not changed but I've noticed things being looser (well, not sticking to "back boobs") and people notice I've lost weight if they are behind me.

I also bought some trousers before I started which are loose now - they were borderline too clingy when I started.
  • annams76
    Options
    I have been mesaured by myself and doctors with no visible change or change in numbers. I took pictures 12 Nov and then again on 5 Feb and they look exactly alike and there is an 11 lb difference between the 2. Maybe I am just being impatient. Thanks for the advise though.
  • DZFitness
    DZFitness Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'll restate the obvious and say you don't get to choose where the fat comes off... but if the scale is moving and you like what you see in the mirror, you're doing something right.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    best case : you're losing in places you arent measuring. for instance the first 15 pounds for me were wrists, ankles, feet, neck. none of the things i measured until i realised my shoes were a half size too big

worst case : you're losing a lot of lean body mass which can happen if you're eating a very low calories and not doing any real strength training
  • annams76
    Options
    The scale is moving but I don't like what I see in the mirror. I would like to the numbers and my body to match. I want to look 176lbs and not 204lbs...maybe it is my imagination and I have lost size but I don't see it. At least I am healthy though. =)
  • annams76
    Options
    best case : you're losing in places you arent measuring. for instance the first 15 pounds for me were wrists, ankles, feet, neck. none of the things i measured until i realised my shoes were a half size too big

worst case : you're losing a lot of lean body mass which can happen if you're eating a very low calories and not doing any real strength training

Well IDK if that could be it. I am eating what I have been told by a nutritionist for my calories. I do lift weights and do cardio but IDK you could be onto something here. Thanks
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Well IDK if that could be it. I am eating what I have been told by a nutritionist for my calories. I do lift weights and do cardio but IDK you could be onto something here. Thanks

another case: if you're just looking in the mirror then you could just be zooming in on 1 area that may not have changed, are you taking measurements?

i know when i look in the mirror i dont see a change since most of what i've lost can't be seen in a mirror. for instance i've lost 5 total jeans size but my thighs look the same because the majority of fat loss has been on the inner thighs
  • DZFitness
    DZFitness Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The scale is moving but I don't like what I see in the mirror. I would like to the numbers and my body to match. I want to look 176lbs and not 204lbs...maybe it is my imagination and I have lost size but I don't see it. At least I am healthy though. =)

progress photos might help, maybe every 3-4 weeks, similar lighting/background
  • annams76
    Options
    I do tape myself and a dr tapes me also. No changes in measurements. I go back to the dr on the 13th for another follow up. I did pics on 12 Nov and again on 5 Feb. I will do them monthly now and see if maybe I see something. My friends husband told her when he seen me he could tell I lost weight so that is a good sign.
  • annams76
    Options
    I took pictures yesterday and I finally see a difference. I am so happy!!!