CRAVINGS!!!!

Options
okay.

i never had to fight craving this much than yesterday and today...
and i lost the fight... :(

is there anything that can cause cravings? maybe lots of herbs and spices? or anything that can help against them?

i ve been dieting now for 4 weeks (first week-weight loss, other 3 weeks-stand still)

Replies

• applekrisp1988
    Options
    Like someone else said in your other thread, don't beat yourself up over it. You're gonna have to give into cravings sometime, otherwise dieting just isn't going to work. You need a splurge meal or something once per week, maybe?

For me starving myself or not eating my meals on time really messes me up and if I get cravings, I WILL give into them. Tuesday I got a 12" sub from subway and downed the whole thing in a matter of 5 minutes. D:

Be sure to spread your meals out so that you're never starving and let yourself indulge once in a while.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    the cravings appeared right after my dinner. i was full.
    that is the weird thing ;(
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Cravings for what, exactly? If you're still hungry after dinner try munching on some veggies, like broccoli, or what I'm eating now, a bell pepper. =)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    an excess of sugar and high carbs always seem to get me going.... but most cravings I feel for me is behavioral. So to change the behavior you must replace it with new ones.....
    Food when eating gives off serotonin ... a feel good chemical that makes food very addictive.... it is why many resort to food for emotional comfort in times of stress.
    Reflect on your need for the food... it may bring light to the situation.

PS and when changing the behaviour it is best to keep it non food related. Choose things that make you feel good.... whether it be a walk, craft, reading a book...whatever is something that you can do in moments food comes calling. It is best to keep a mental list of things to do when these moments arise.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What did you eat for dinner? And what exactly are you craving? There's most likely some kind of nutrient in the food you are craving that you are lacking in your general diet.
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    i ate enough, so i wasnt hungry after dinner. i had homemade spaghetti bolognese. whole grain spaghetti, lean ground turkey meat, some veggies, tomatos and tomato paste.
    the craving was for something sweet. chocolate. and then something salty. i ended up resisting the chocolate one at first, but then after a while i "needed" both (sweet and salty), and got them :(
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    uhm, TOM perhaps?
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    TOM?
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    Time Of Month = period = menstruation = bloody hatchet wound = shark week = shall I continue? ;)
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    haha, didnt know that term, sorry.
    no, thats just over!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I really like to have something sweet after dinner so will often have a low-fat ice cream bar or popsicle as a bedtime snack. That's the safest time of day for me to have something sweet because if I have it too early, I'll want more and more and more and ..... This way I have it, enjoy it, then go to sleep.

For me, cravings are best handled by getting busy with my hands. The last time I had a really bad case of the munchies, I ironed everything that needed to be ironed.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i ate enough, so i wasnt hungry after dinner. i had homemade spaghetti bolognese. whole grain spaghetti, lean ground turkey meat, some veggies, tomatos and tomato paste.
    the craving was for something sweet. chocolate. and then something salty. i ended up resisting the chocolate one at first, but then after a while i "needed" both (sweet and salty), and got them :(

There doesn't appear to be any fat in that meal. Perhaps you were craving the FAT from the chocolate, not the sweetness. Then after you had the sweetness you craved salt to balance it back out.

Just a theory... but your stomach can be full and you can still feel unsatisfied if you aren't eating enough fat.
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Best thing I discovered recently to satisfy my very big sweet tooth is sliced banana microwaved for 30 seconds with a just a drizzle of almond milk. I haven't found a way to beat chocolate cravings yet but I'll get some 70% or higher chocolate at some point.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I've never had success with a diet long term because cravings for Junk food always overwhelmed me after a few weeks. Until I got rid of processed foods- junk foods- refined grains such as white rice, white pasta- sugar which comes in many sneaky names in labels. In short if you start reading labels and you can't find those ingredients in the regular grocery store it isn't all that good for you. Within 2 weeks of changing my diet I felt like a normal person. Taking the first bite was my undoing. I applaud those who can eat a candy bar a week or just one cookie after dinner. I can't. For my chocolate craving I use cocoa powder. I started with making a chocolate milkshake with ice, milk, and cocoa powder and stevia and a banana in a blender. Not too many calories and surprisingly satisfying. Plus the size of it was very filling like 20 ounces. Good luck to you! Also keeping trigger foods out of the house is helpful for me. Even believe it or not cocoa powder in my oatmeal is fantastic, too! Especially with a banana. Reminds me of hot chocolate lava cake.