Is this safe?

Options
I'm 5'5" and weigh 127 lbs. My goal weight is 117 pounds. I'm supposed to be consuming 1,200 calories daily but usually only get in 913 net calories. Yesterdays caloric intake was 1248 calories but I burnt 913 jogging. I've been working out and eating like this strictly for 3 days straight. Is this healthy? I eat nothing but healthy foods except for yesterday when I treated myself to a 260 calorie hot fudge sundae. I just can't seem to eat enough because I get full easily. Any help?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    No, what you are doing is not healthy. Yesterday your net calorie intake was 335cals.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand how net calories work, to be honest. Can you please explain them to me?
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You have to eat back most what you burn or your body is lacking on energy
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Thanks. So if I kicked my caloric intake up to 1,500 a day would that be better?
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You are not getting enough calories to stay healthy. You could double the calories you are eating now and still lose weight with the amount of exercise you are getting. And with so much exercise getting adequate protein and fats are important to keep your body healthy.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It would be significantly better. I'm seconding the recommendation to check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Also, since you are already at a healthy weight, I'm assuming that your interest in losing weight is primarily aesthetic, in which case, you may get the results you want from building muscle (which requires eating above maintenance) rather than from losing weight.
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Oooops. I messed up! I only burnt 360 calories jogging. My bad.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1500 minimum would be much better than 900.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just eat more.That is all.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of 'safe'. It's not going to kill you short term to eat that little but long term it is likely to damage your metabolism, cause muscle loss and generally be unsustainable so that in most cases the weight will be regained.

You would be much better off going up to 1500 cals and losing weight slower.
  • Minerva624
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll kick it up to 1,550 calories a day and get more cardio in.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Up your NET calories.
  • chantey16
    chantey16 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i'm sure its your net calories that are supposed to be nothing less than 1200...so if you eat 1500 don't start doin more exercise because then you will just have to eat more again lol
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll kick it up to 1,550 calories a day and get more cardio in.

Noooooo - you need to up your calories to meet the cardio you are already doing. If you are going to increase your cardio even further then you need to up your food even further. Your net needs to be at least 1,200.