Female Calves... don't like mine

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and for being decent and understanding.
    I feel a little better now. My calves tend to sort of stick out quite a lot at the back, basically. My thighs measure 19 inches, so not sure if I am disproportionate or not. I do know that I struggle to get uk size 6 skinny jeans over my calves and knees, however, which is one thing that has made me self conscious of them.

Not sure I have much body fat to lose, I have about somewhere between 16 and 19%, 5'10 and 126Ibs usually(a little over that right now). I suppose I might try more walking and milder forms of cardio, I do tend to have the resistance set quite high on the machines, as I tend to like to get in a good calorie burn and it helps lift my often flagging energy,

Glad to know I am not the only female with larger calves. Sometimes I can ignore it, other things I look at them and it really bugs me. My upper half is much smaller than my lower.

It sounds to me like you have lovely, curvy, slim legs. Not many shops that I've been to in the UK even sell size 6 clothes (US size 2) so I'm guessing your choices are limited when it comes to jeans, especially if you need them long too.

10-20 years ago, I bet no one with your calves at your height would have thought they were big, because shapeless legs weren't in fashion. Personally, I've learnt to love my curvy legs. I always noticed and marvelled at the tiny legs on some girls, even at primary school, but even if my bmi was as low as yours, my legs wouldn't lose their shape, I don't think. I hope you can learn to love yours as much as I love mine :flowerforyou:

(I measured mine, thanks to this thread. 14". I love the way mine curve down to my ankle and up to my knee, and they've had plenty of 'appreciation' in their time :laugh:)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How can 13.5" calves be big.. I have 16" biceps and they are not that huge :laugh: . And unfortunately, a lot of this comes down to self image issues (not to imply you have one). But you can see with tons of people, if you have image issues when you are over weight, you will have them when you are stick thin.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I'm 5'7", 130 lbs, with 15 inch calves. When I first started running, they got HUGE for a while. I didn't measure them, but I do know that I had a really hard time getting my 'skinny' jeans over them (these skinny jeans are now too big on me- except in the calves, haha!!!). Then, after a couple months, they got a bit smaller. As I lost weight and body fat, they eventually slimmed down to where they are now. I don't know how long you've been doing serious exercise, but it takes a while for your body to adjust to the stress, and until it does, it will retain water in those areas. I still have a hard time finding boots that I can tuck my jeans into, and skinny jeans are *really* skinny.

Sounds like you've got a plan, though. Personally, I've learned to love mine- they've got more definition now and feel really solid. I also like the fact that they balance out the look of my thighs since they've built up muscle. Best of luck!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I just had to measure my calves after reading this, good lord they are 15.5! Should I be worried I have monster calves now?! Lol. OP your mad! You have nothing to worry about at all!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    So, I just measured mine.
    Female, 5'6" , 137# and my calves are 12.5"
  • agamy4
    agamy4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My calves are tiny and misproportional to the rest of my body. My skinny jeans are always tight above my knees and loose beneath the knees. Also, since I gain weight mostly on my upper half of body, so I cannot wear heels anymore because my poor little calves cannot support my weight with the heels on. My legs literally shake.
    Its better to have strong thick thighs than feeble malnutrition-looking calves!!
  • christyjo37
    Options
    Try having 18.25" calves
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

I can't believe you think 13 inches calves are big. My calves are 13 inches and they're tiny. For me big is anything from 16 inches upwards.
  • Gemz321
    Options
    mine are 17 inches. although I think genetics play a part as well, as both my mum and sister are slim but have big calves for their size. They sometimes get trouble fitting into boots etc.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You must be joking! 13.5 inch calves are big?

I have 18.5 inch calves and I love them!
  • dreamingLEENA
    Options
    I have 15" calves and 27" thighs but they porportion well to the rest of my body.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the sort of legs that build muscle fairly easily with exercise, and although I know that yes, there are far worse things to be worried about, and that many females want muscular calves, I don't like them. Muscle is great, to a degree, but for me personally, there are limits.

I generally do interval training on the stationary bike, outdoor cycling, interval training on the elliptical and some upper body work.
    I do not know which of these is likely to be contributing to my increased calf size.

I want to retain leanness, and to keep my metabolism running smoothly, and yes, be fit, but surely there must be some way to do this without ending up with 13.5 inch calves ? :/

I can't believe you think 13 inches calves are big. My calves are 13 inches and they're tiny. For me big is anything from 16 inches upwards.

You are a man though. OP isn't so you can't really compare and this thread is from last November!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have an 18" calf...:grumble:

I had 18" calves when I started, they are down to 17" now. HEAR THAT OP! DOWN TO 17" lol 13" is nothin'
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Old-thread bumping is OOC today.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yep. 17" here, too. But guess what? My calves are that large because they are muscular, so they aren't shrinking any time soon with weight loss. Try DUO boots - they make high-boots to fit all sizes of calves that fall outside of the 14" industry standard.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP: my calves are huge, as well. It's super awesome to have muscular legs and all, but are thinner legs so bad? I'd love for my legs -- thighs down to ankles -- to be thinner.
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine are about 17" I HATE them :sad: especially when it comes to wearing knee high boots. I can never find any to fit me so I have to put up with wearing ankle boots all the time, or even wearing shorts or a skirt. I always try to cover myself up in the summer :sad:

I hate myself for putting on so much weight! :sad:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, I have 15 inch calves and I love them...not sure what to suggest other than losing lean mass to get them smaller?!
  • faboysmiles
    Options
    love big calves :)
  • faboysmiles
    Options
    wow 18" calves <3<3<3