My calves have always been my problem . . .

Options
They're huge! and I know a lot people say that but they really are, around 17inches and they are like bricks, completely solid.

Anyway, I always thought I was really flexible when I stretch it has to be quite deep before I feel it and this includes in my calves (and soleus) and I do stretch often. However, I recently started to run, Im not silly and started out slow doing a brisk walk to warm up and following with 8x200m with 1min recovery as an example, at a comfortable pace, more jogging than running.

However, heres where i need advice, after 200-300m my lower legs ache like crazy, it feels as though they are screaming for oxygen, Im quite sure its not shin splints, I'd expect that to be more of a pain than the ache i experience and besides its a familiar feeling that I have experienced in other areas on occasion just not to the same extent (pretty sure its a build up of lactic acid)

So, what can I do? my initial thought is stretch stretch stretch but Im not sure how much more I can, also I never have problems when doing other forms of exercise (ie I LOVE insanity) its really starting to get to me as i feel able to do so much more (no shortness of breath etc) but feel constantly restricted. Any suggestions at all to help alleviate this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Look into a Couch to 5k program, it starts you out very slowly, perhaps that might help. It's intervals, but very short ones at first. You might also want to check into some different shoes. Do you have good running shoes? That can make a difference.
  • Runner5Insanity
    Options
    Look into a Couch to 5k program, it starts you out very slowly, perhaps that might help. It's intervals, but very short ones at first. You might also want to check into some different shoes. Do you have good running shoes? That can make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions Im sure my shoes are fine (Daughter runs competitively and has accessory navicular syndrome, and other half has severely over pronating feet so Im quite picky about all our footwear)

Im going to download the C25K app but to be honest thats why Im worried I believe they do time intervals instead of distance and the first week is 60seconds, which I'd cover more than 200m in, gosh it really does sound bad now doesnt it, still its got to be worth a try!

Thanks again
  • Runner5Insanity
    Options
    No other advice out there?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch.
    What kind of stretching are you doing? My thought is downward dogs and samson stretches (there are plenty of youtube videos that can help you with these). But don't neglect stretching the rest of the body as well.

It could also be a shoe issue.
  • rebeccadavis88
    Options
    Hey There

I know exactly what you are going through - My calves were a massive problem for me when I first started exercising last year.

I don't know if we had the same problem, but mine used to feel soooooo tight and then become very painful after a short time - it actually used to stop me from jogging/exercising the pain was so much. I used to stretch like mad before during after, but it didnt seem to help.

I researched it loads as I was getting so frustrated and heres what help me:

Calf Stair stretch (http://www.livestrong.com/article/22147-calf-stretching-exercises/) twice a day
    Massaging my calves with a tennis ball (or if you can bear it a golf ball!) every night

Within a week I was cured :happy: :happy: and I never have it any more (prob helps that I have lost quite a bit of weight now!).

Hope this helps and good luck :flowerforyou:

Becky x
  • turretwillow
    turretwillow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Other people have made some good sugestions already, One thing i would ask is your running style, i.e are you landing on your heel / flat area of your soul and rolling forwards or are you landing on the ball of your foot / toes area when running.

Landing on your ball / toe area will be working your calf muscle alot more than a heel landing style of running.

Heel landing is more for distance running and economy of motion and landing on the balls of your feet are more for middle distance and sprinting style of running using more lower leg muscle power etc.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    another vote for shoes. The other day I forgot my runners to the gym and had to go on the treadmill in converse after lifting, my shins and calves felt like cack afterwards
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of pain and discomfort in just starting to run whatever your calf size. Just keep going. If it's too much, slow down. Eventually your legs will increase it's tolerance to your demands. Even as a seasoned runner, if I've take a long break, it takes a good 3 months for me to comfortably run a minimum of 3 miles. If the shoes are good, no medical issues, it's just your legs adjusting.
  • Runner5Insanity
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, current stretches I do include the downward dog and stair stretch and also this:

Gastrocnemius (upper calf) stretch

Keep the back leg straight and push the back heel into the ground. Keeping a straight upper body and gently lifting up your hips helps. There shouldn’t be much pressure on the front foot.

and this:

Soleus (lower calf) stretch

Stand closer to the wall and bend one leg, keeping the foot flat on the floor. You should feel a stretch in your lower calf. Leaning towards the wall intensifies the stretch; there should be little pressure on the other foot.

Im more of a heel striker but do tend to do a short distance of high knees and heel flicks when it first starts playing up, the variety seems to ease it a little.

Guess I'll do a little research on some alternative/additional stretches and search out some balls, thanks everyone for the help so far!