Working out..

Options
So I am just starting my journey.
Currently, I do nothing all day. I seriously mean nothing.
I sit in one spot for 98% of the day. I only get up from said spot to eat, potty and tend to my kids.

I stay home all day, everyday.
There is a treadmill upstairs, we've owned it for 12 years. I've used it twice.

How do I get started?

I saw someone on facebook post a meme that said to do x amount of situps, pushups, ect.. is there a good formula to use?
Should I just hop on the treadmill and run until I pass out? Not that that would take long..

I just really don't know how to start. Help?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Start by walking. That's always a good place to start. Then start adding in running when you can walk at a good pace (3.5-4.0 mph)for 15-20 minutes.

Push-ups are a great exercise, but you may find yourself struggling to do more than one or two. So test yourself out. If standard push-ups are too difficult, try knee push-ups. And forget the memes. Set yourself a number to do (I'd aim for every other day) and then increase that number each week.

Sit-ups are inefficient. Try planks instead.

Hope this helps.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Start by getting on the treadmill...
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Why not look at a Couch to 5K plan? There are lots of them available free, and although there are slight differences, they all basically start you at alternating short runs (e.g. 60 seconds) with walking, then build up the amount of running time and reduce the walking until your're running for 30 mins non-stop. Works just as well on the treadmill as outside - whichever you prefer. You can repeat any weeks that you find too difficult, and move on at your own pace, but it is a structured plan to follow, if that helps you.

(I like the NHS Couch to 5K podcasts as they have a lovely coach who gives you lots of encouragement as you go!)
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    As a mom myself, I think you'd be amazed how much you really move around with kids to tend to. I know when I began I felt like I was probably the laziest person ever, but someone pointed out to me how often we get up and do things for/with our kids. Once I saw they were right, it was easy to find ways to get just a little more in. Chasing them around the yard, lifting them up and down - you'd be amazed how much 'exercise' you get just playing with your kids! You may not be in as bad shape as you think, and they'll motivate you to get up and 'play'. :)
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try doing some simple yoga poses while watching TV. Just drop yourself down on the floor and do some simple:

1) plank(Push up in the up position)
    2) optional(do one push up)
    3) go into an upward dog(make sort of an upside down V, with your butt up in the air)
    4) back to plank
    5) optional(go back down for another push up)
    6) go into a downward dog(drop your pelvis and legs down to the ground, with your chest and head up, arms holding you up)
    7) repeat, (maybe start without the push up inbetween each upward / downward / upward / downward, add push up as you get stronger.)

do as many as you can, hold each pose 10 to 15 seconds, add time as you get stronger.

It's also a nice stretch.
  • Starfae
    Options
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! I have heard of the couch to 5k programs.. don't know why I didn't think to try that!
    I also like the yoga type TV watching, but I have some back problems.. do you think that these positions would be a good start point?

And I love playing with my eldest, seems like it would be an easy transition to play more! :)
  • GC2B
    GC2B Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Ho old are your children?
    I have 3 and really cant see how you sit down for 98% of your time.
    Get on that treadmill and walk, do it when kids are napping etc, start off small, dont burn yourself out by doing too much too soon
    (though I'm not a professional do its just my opinion)

Use your kids as a tool for exercise, dance around with them, make up funny moves. Pop a music channel on and mess around, its fun for the kids and gets you moving.
    If they go in buggies (prmas/strollers) get outside and walk with them, play football in the park.

I think you get my point, do anything, it counts!
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Okay you first need to decide if you want to exercise then use what you have:-

Pick a time in the day you can exercise without distractions.

Go to your treadmill and get it going.

Set it lowest setting and start walking.

See if you can manage 5 minutes?

Stop and record your time - Yay! you just set PB (Personal Best).

That's you done for the day.

Next day you try and go longer and beat your time.

Do this each day until you can get 20 minutes done then increase the setting to the next level.

Repeat daily until you are running for 20 minutes.

You should be getting along nicely if you stick to this and most probably have also decided to add in some other exercises.

Small steps will get you on your journey.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Just start moving.

You can incorporate your kids into the workout if that's an issue. My 2-yr-old does "kickboxing" & yoga On Demand with me. And when it's nice, we walk.... a lot.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Just Don't Stop Believin' in yourself, you can do it Any Way You Want It! It you need help, MFP community is here Faithfully, with Open Arms.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have four kids, granted the youngest is 18 so it's been awhile since I've had babies/toddlers but I damn sure don't remember sitting 98% of my day. I must have been doing something seriously wrong...<shrug>