I could eat a man to shame these days

Options
So I've finally been able to get back into the gym and begin lifting again. 3 times a week, based roughly around the NROLFW. Along with that I'll try to get in some cardio.

But let me just say that I am ashamed at the amount of food I can eat. Most days I'm hitting 1700-1800, when I want to stay within 1300-1400. And it's not from chocolate, cake, and so fourth. This is usually from just eating nuts, salads, veggies, proteins, carbs, or whatever else I can find. My hunger is never ending. I'm drinking water frequently to make sure I'm not thirsty.

It's especially worse if one day I managed to only eat 1200-1300, the next day I'm eating every two hours.

Does anybody else experience this? My roommate eats once, maybe twice a day. I feel ashamed eating infront of him. "Ben, lets get breakfast!" "Nah, I'm not hungry yet." ....4 hours later. "BEN! Lunch!" "Not really hungry yet." .....7:30pm at night "BEENN! I need dinner. please. dinner. food." "Uhm. I've been drinking beer and eating peanut butter."

Is it possible that lifting has increased my bodily demand for calories, or is it all in my head and something I should reign in?

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm larger and older than you but I couldn't live off of 1200-1300 calories even without exercise. My daily goal is 1800 and I exercise for 45-60 minutes 5 days a week and am still losing. I'd say if you are eating the right foods and your body is telling you that you're hungry...then listen to it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    As a man, I average 2300 calories or so if I'm exercising. 1900 if I don't.

When I have my cheat day (sometimes only a cheat meal) once a week those totals can double.

So long as the amount of food you are eating is enough to keep you well fueled, why obsess about the calorie count?

if you are constantly hungry, the simple answer is that you need to eat more. Constant hunger is not normal. Your lifting has added some mass that requires more fuel.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    1800 calories is not eating a man to shame. I think you are very disillusioned as to what a "normal" amount of food is. A typical man is going to eat 2200-2700 calories at least per day for maintaining weight without rigorous exercise. I eat 1900 calories a day to lose an average of 0.5#/week.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options
    I wouldn't describe it as constantly hungry and always obsessing about calories and food, but more so that every two hours I need to eat. I don't like to get "hungry", otherwise I feel like that leads to over eating and over indulging.

Usually it's breakfast (6:30 or 7), second breakfast after workout(8:30 or 9), first lunch (11-12), second lunch (2-3), snack, dinner (5-6), after dinner snack, or a beer, or something.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    lifting 3x/week and eating 1700-1800 calories....congratulations, you are normal, for a dedicated woman...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    1800 calories is not eating a man to shame. I think you are very disillusioned as to what a "normal" amount of food is. A typical man is going to eat 2200-2700 calories at least per day for maintaining weight without rigorous exercise. I eat 1900 calories a day to lose an average of 0.5#/week.

This....It's not heating like a man - it's eating like a normal human being, and not a bird....
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Eating multiple small meals in a day is actually a good thing to do. Make sure you combine your carbs with some protein at those mini-meal times and you may feel full for a longer period of time.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Did you read the diet section of NROLW? Do their calculations for your calories. Seriously.
  • mommamills
    Options
    lifting 3x/week and eating 1700-1800 calories....congratulations, you are normal, for a dedicated woman...

^^ this.^^ besides....who said beer and peanut butter is a "normal" diet?? 1-2 meals a day is nothing to shoot for. you are doing everything right. Keep it up!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't describe it as constantly hungry and always obsessing about calories and food, but more so that every two hours I need to eat. I don't like to get "hungry", otherwise I feel like that leads to over eating and over indulging.

Usually it's breakfast (6:30 or 7), second breakfast after workout(8:30 or 9), first lunch (11-12), second lunch (2-3), snack, dinner (5-6), after dinner snack, or a beer, or something.

This schedule sounds quite good, especially since you're eating healthy foods (protein, whole grains, healthy fats, fruits and veggies). With the amount of exercise you are doing, 1800 calories is completely appropriate. 1200 is WAY to few. (ETA: even you're stated goal of 1300-1400 isn't enough, IMO, with that amount of exercise)
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

^This. These "men" you are supposedly eating to shame are noobs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

What do you eat? If possible try to cut down on the carbs in those meals (especially bread, pasta, rice, grains) and add some protein and fat. They will keep you full much longer.

My standard breakfast is two eggs, two egg whites, and three slices of Canadian bacon. About 380 calories. I eat it around 8am drink a coffee in the morning and usually am not hungry until 12:30 or 1pm.
  • kaleas
    kaleas Posts: 200
    Options

This....It's not heating like a man - it's eating like a normal human being, and not a bird....

Haha, thanks guys. I appreciate it. I think I do get disillusioned because Im not surrounded by people who work out, exercise, or eat "normally". Many of my friends are artists, still in college, or alcoholics. So they survive off coffee, alcohol, and eating once a day. Thus when we're hanging out, I feel like the oddball obese person always eating, or having to eat breakfast when they can go until 1 or 2pm before consuming anything but coffee or mimosas.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    firstly... I read the title wrong about a dozen times... I read it in two pieces: "I could eat a man" "to shame these days" as opposed to "I could" "eat a man to shame" "these days" LOL.

I am at maintenance at 1900 calories and am always hungry. If you put in the big burns, you'll likely have a big appetite. Your body is telling you it needs fuel to put out what you're asking it to do.

If you are drinking enough water, then keep eating! I snack all the time... as long as it's healthy snacking, then it's great.

I think your body is clearly telling you to feed it more.
  • rachelvalice
    rachelvalice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'9 128 lbs. 19-year-old-girl and I eat a small meal at least every 3-5 hours between 8 am and midnight, so I feel your pain. If left unchecked, I can easily hit 2,000 in a day. I do notice that I overeat when I workout because of all the stress hormones/burned calories.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the problem is. I usually eat between 1700 and 2000 depending on exercise. My boyfriend loves the fact that we can go out and eat real food instead of me needing a salad or something.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I experienced that when I first started lifting. Just try to pack your meals full of protein. I think it should subside.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Meal frequency/timing really doesn't matter except for I like to save up most of my cals for a big fat post workout meal. For social reasons it also helps if I have a lot of cals left in the evening, plus I HATE packing food for work. All I do is drink tea or coffee and maybe have some yogurt/protein powder concoction until I get home. IF just works for my lifestyle/schedule right now.

If frequent eating isn't thwarting your dieting efforts then don't worry about it. :smile:
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am lifting 3-4 times a week heavy with almost no cardio at the moment and I am eating 2750 kcal! So, no you are not alone. Your muscles needs to be fed! Keep eating and keep lifting and you will get wonderful results!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    1700 - 1800 calories a day sounds good to me. Especially if you're lifting and eating those kinds of things you said. I don't understand the problem.

Calculate your TDEE and BMR. I'm 5'3" and 170 lbs and my BMR is 1500 calories a day (so that's a minimum) and my TDEE is 2100 calories a day (maximum) so I aim for between 1600 and 1800 and I lift regularly.

In all likelihood you're exactly where you need to be. :P