How Much Weight Did You Lose Before You/People Noticed?

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

My husband noticed after I lost 6 pounds (this was before I joined MFP). I was astonished.

Funny, my dental hygienist exclaimed "you've lost so much weight!" when I was in recently, and I'm not sure I've lost anything since she last saw me, maybe 3 pounds. I haven't been exercising all that much, either.

I'll bet that people have noticed you've lost weight but haven't said anything. It can be a little risky to say something. I once complimented a coworker that I didn't know well on her weight loss, and she snapped "the diet is called divorce! I can't recommend it."
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you think about it I bet most of you who are saying ppl didn't notice will admit this is true - you still wear the same clothes as before. Put on something that never fit you before and ppl will notice for sure. I've lost 46 lbs as of today and I am still able to wear a lot of the clothes I wore before and while it is a bit looser I don't look completely different. If I wear some new sutff I bought that fits better it makes a big dif.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Amazing well done on your loss! Yes it completely depends on your size, one pound on one person looks a lot more on another. People I saw all the time started noticing about 30lbs down.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to lose weight, but when I lost only 5lbs my whole family noticed. I am short, so relatively speaking 5lbs is a lot of weight.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's not really when they noticed -- it's when they acknowledged to you that they notice.

I don't comment on peoples' size, either way. Did someone gain (or might be pregnant)? I won't ask or comment.
    Did they lose ? Still won't comment (I did once, about 15 years ago only to find that the loss was due to a thyroid issue and a source of great stress and frustration )

But please, if you are losing or wondering if it shows to other people -- take notice of compliments -- are more people saying "That color suits you" or "you look happy today" or "that's a great jacket/dress/suit" ? Because I will say those things.

I do that too. My friend struggles with thyroid issues and gets really upset when people ask if she eats (she eats like a horse) or say things like, "If you turned sideways, you'd disappear!" Other people lose weight because of cancer treatments. I've learned to be very careful about the comments I choose.

I usually say something like, "You look great! That outfit looks really nice on you." Sometimes they tell me they've lost weight, and sometimes they just smile and thank me. Either way, it's a good way to make somebody's day without putting your foot in your mouth.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds (by the way, congrats on your 70 pound loss) but interestingly, people only started noticing after I started doing cardio and lifting weights. I've only lost about 15 pounds since I started the exercise but I have shrunk a fair bit since then--hopefully it is mostly all fat that I lost. :smile:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Have you bought new clothes that really fit you well? I didn't have much to lose so it may be different, but I lost 20 lbs. about 4 months ago and no one at work had said anything about it. Some riends and family commented on it but they knew that I was trying to lose weight and get in shape. It didn't bother me that much but I was kind of surprised that no one noticed because I sure thought I looked different and was happy of myself. I finally bought some new work clothes and right after I wore my new pencil skirt that showed off my smaller waist a couple people mentioned how great I looked and good job losing weight. I hadn't lost any more, it was just the clothes that fit me properly.
    A lot of people don't know how to talk about weight so they just don't say anything. I've seen threads on here from people who are uncomfortable when people comment on their weight loss - She said I looked great after losing so much weight, she must have thought I looked terrible when I was so fat before! Try not to worry about it too much.
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just got my first comment from someone other than my husband or mother, and I just reached 40 pounds. I have 100+ to lose though, so I know that makes it harder to tell. I have lost 3 pants sizes so at least I know I'm making progress!
  • doctorellingham
    doctorellingham Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 4kg in 4 weeks and nobody's said anything. Partner says she can't tell. (I really can.)

Funny thing is that I started steadily putting on weight in the last 5 years, and every now and then I would see someone and they'd say "Hey, have you lost weight?" Even though I'd probably put on a little more. Eventually, I concluded that people were starting to think of me as very overweight - even heavier than I was - so it was REALLY time to reframe those opinions. Does that make sense? I'm not sure it does.

Anyway, I'm on my first ever diet and so far rather enjoying the sense of empowerment. Fitbit One, alongside a scrupulous food diary thanks to MFP is the method for me.
  • Garfunklette
    Garfunklette Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    my guess is people really DID notice long before they said something... Weight is such a touchy subject that I think a lot of people are really nervous to mention it at all... including the awesome job someone has done at losing weight!

I was thinking something similar. I've noticed a few people at my bowling alley trimming up, but I hesitate to say anything for fear of offending. Luckily, on MFP, I know everyone loves encouragement, so....

Way to go! You're doing fantastic!
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs and no one noticed... Then I gained 10 back... Now I'm working on losing again. I'm not expecting anyone to notice for a long time to avoid disappointment again.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    About 40. I think people are hesitant to compliment if they are not sure....

I agree with this. I was reading one MFP thread where people were talking about the weight loss remarks people made and many were offended by remarks probably well-intentioned. So yeah, I think many people hesitate before saying anything.
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!! I hit 72 lbs before anyone, that didn't already know I was trying to lose weight, said anything. There were a few people that knew like close friends and family, but that was about it. I guess I carried my weight well... or people just didn't want to say anything. I tell you, that one comment REALLY made my day.
  • kris_root_2014
    kris_root_2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It might be more noticable if you lose it faster. Sometimes, if they see you everyday, they might not notice as much because they are seeing the gradual decrease. So, it might take them awhile. I noticed that in the past when I lost weight, the people I didn't see as much noticed first. Good luck and keep going!!! You can do it and we are all here for encouragement!:flowerforyou:
  • LovahLorah
    LovahLorah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Now, let me address the people who always have to make a smart or sarcastic comment no matter what the topic or question is; now that you have lost the weight work on losing that negative attitude! Possible smart remarks – No I’m not losing weight for anyone to notice, I am doing it for myself. But everyone appreciates encouraging words that’s why we’re on MFP. Keep it Friendly!!!

Love this!

And around 30 lbs people close to me started to notice. Now at 45 lbs down, people at work are starting to come up to me and commenting on my weight loss and how they notice my hard work paying off! Good Feeling. Keep up the good work!
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started at 265 and I guess once I got down to around 220 people started to notice, and then it seemed like every ten pounds after that would elicit comments. Over the past year I've yo-yoed between a 20 lb weight difference and no one notices. I think I'll probably have to lose another 20 lbs or so before anyone can tell this time around.
  • Spamcat
    Options
    Weight loss is a touchy subject. Some people might not be aware that you are actively working at it, hey may notice you are, but not from actual commitment to a diet. They may wonder if you are loosing weight due to illness- but do not want to go there in case that is the case.It can be a difficult topic to broach.
    I lost 35 lbs before I started logging here and my friends would stare at me, with a quizacle look, not kowing what to say! It's hysterical just watching their thought process in action.
  • kjohnson754
    kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is that most people don't think I need to lose weight. My fitness journey is more of losing weight and toning up. I just want to get my six pack back and be able to run in a marathon. I think my clothes also played a role in my noticing. I used to wear an 8 and now I'm a 12. I don't look bad naked or anything either but it's more of a personal thing I want to do.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm at a total of 20lbs lost and the only person who has noticed is my husband.
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    30 pounds for my supervisor to notice, 40 pounds for one of my friends to notice, 50 pounds for a lot of my coworkers to notice, 60 pounds for my students to notice and for my co-teacher to mention it (ummm she's got a hard-to-please personality)