What to do with protein powder?

Options
So, I cannot stand the taste of protein powder, and the best "shake" I can come up with is mixing it with Almond Milk and putting a packet of Stevia in there to sweeten it up a bit.

What is your go-to recipe for protein powder? I need some ideas.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just stick with the protein powder and water (sometimes milk). What brand/flavors are you using? Some brands taste better than others. My favorites are:

1. Dymatize Elite Gourmet (any of the chocolate flavors)
    2. Optimumum Nutrition (I've only had chocolate)
    3. Muscle Milk (All of the flavors have the consistency of a milkshake when mixed with water)

Also, a good shaker bottle is key.
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    I just stick with the protein powder and water (sometimes milk). What brand/flavors are you using? Some brands taste better than others. My favorites are:

1. Dymatize Elite Gourmet (any of the chocolate flavors)
    2. Optimumum Nutrition (I've only had chocolate)
    3. Muscle Milk (All of the flavors have the consistency of a milkshake when mixed with water)

Also, a good shaker bottle is key.

Well right now I've been using Body Fortress Chocolate. But my roommate uses a Vanilla in another brand I don't like. I've also tried my brothers Chocolate Brownie, which he seems to love, but I'm not a big fan. I don't know. It's not the taste that bothers me, so much as that aftertaste.

I do have a Blender Bottle. Once I finish this jar I may try one of the ones you just named.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    Options
    [/quote]

Well right now I've been using Body Fortress Chocolate. But my roommate uses a Vanilla in another brand I don't like. I've also tried my brothers Chocolate Brownie, which he seems to love, but I'm not a big fan. I don't know. It's not the taste that bothers me, so much as that aftertaste.

I do have a Blender Bottle. Once I finish this jar I may try one of the ones you just named.
    [/quote]

You should try websites like bodybuilding.com or dpsnutrition.com because you can often get smaller serving sizes (~5 or 10) to determine if you like them and want to get more without purchaing a 2 lb jug. I've never used Body Fortress, but from the kinds I have tried, anything that doesn't have 'chocolate" in the flavor name (i.e., chocolate peanut butter, etc.) usually isn't that good IMO.
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Body fortress is cheap, mixes well and has a decent flavor. Try changing what you're mixing it with. Plain greek yogurt and oatmeal both take very well to protein powders. Add in additional fruit, nuts or whatever you'd like. It's all in what you prefer, but I've found that those two are both pretty good to start with.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/peanut-butter-banana-oat-breakfast-cookies-with-carobchocolate-chips/

Between the peanut butter and protein powder there's plenty of protein, and they don't taste bad... I have a hard time with protein shakes as well:-/
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    You should try websites like bodybuilding.com or dpsnutrition.com because you can often get smaller serving sizes (~5 or 10) to determine if you like them and want to get more without purchaing a 2 lb jug. I've never used Body Fortress, but from the kinds I have tried, anything that doesn't have 'chocolate" in the flavor name (i.e., chocolate peanut butter, etc.) usually isn't that good IMO.

I will definitely look into that. I've noticed that a lot of them have serving sizes of 2 scoops, but I don't feel the need to have 50g of protein in one sitting. So I usually use one and it takes me twice as long to get through the jug. Thanks!
  • Ermahgerd_Derpina
    Options
    Body fortress is cheap, mixes well and has a decent flavor. Try changing what you're mixing it with. Plain greek yogurt and oatmeal both take very well to protein powders. Add in additional fruit, nuts or whatever you'd like. It's all in what you prefer, but I've found that those two are both pretty good to start with.

Thats what I have. The Chocolate PB one. But I'll try it with something else. Thanks.
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Unjury protein powder, which I think you can only get online @ their website. Flavors are chocolate (splendor tastes better than original to me), strawberry (didn't love that one), vanilla (good just with skim milk), chicken soup (was actually good), unflavored, and they now have cheese but haven't tried it. Good thing is you can order sample packets to see if you like it first... Downside to this one is that it is very temperature sensitive and cannot be used in hot (over 130 degrees) foods/liquids. So, you can have 'warm' hot chocolate.... Other than that, this is absolutely my go to protein powder. Now, for other than your standard protein drink flavors, I love nectar powder. Has some great flavors and you can find sampler packs online to purchase a variety of their flavors to try out first... Good luck!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    You may need to get a different protein powder.

I add vanilla protein powder to my cereal in the mornings, and to my afternoon greek yogurt.

I also do the protein shots you can buy at walmart. They taste like dead rats, but they have zero carbs or sugar, and its over quickly.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    Options

I add vanilla protein powder to my cereal in the mornings, and to my afternoon greek yogurt.

I also do the protein shots you can buy at walmart. They taste like dead rats, but they have zero carbs or sugar, and its over quickly.

mmm, you had me at dead rats.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options

And WHY would you know what a dead rat tastes like?
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate protein powder to make hot cocoa instead of hot cocoa mix. Just put a scoop in a cup of milk and heat it. O_O #SOGOOD
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Unjury protein powder, which I think you can only get online @ their website. Flavors are chocolate (splendor tastes better than original to me), strawberry (didn't love that one), vanilla (good just with skim milk), chicken soup (was actually good), unflavored, and they now have cheese but haven't tried it. Good thing is you can order sample packets to see if you like it first... Downside to this one is that it is very temperature sensitive and cannot be used in hot (over 130 degrees) foods/liquids. So, you can have 'warm' hot chocolate.... Other than that, this is absolutely my go to protein powder. Now, for other than your standard protein drink flavors, I love nectar powder. Has some great flavors and you can find sampler packs online to purchase a variety of their flavors to try out first... Good luck!

I believe all why protein powders are subject to a certain amount of "denaturing" when combined with hot liquids/foods.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    1c milk
    1 giant azz scoop protein
    frozen banana
    blend until you are annoyed with the noise

Enjoi
  • Itzli
    Itzli Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    almond milk, 1 scoop of vanilla protein, frozen berries/fruit, ice, blend..
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Coffee+ 1/2 scoop of protein powder and 1/4 cup skim milk = YUMMY quick on the go early breakfast.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Whey protein makes me want to barf, but I like soy just fine. I'd try a different type of protein to see if you find one you like. Genisoy chocolate is pretty good in milk or even just water, and makes a decent protein "pudding" when I mix it with yogurt.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1c milk
    1 giant azz scoop protein
    frozen banana
    blend until you are annoyed with the noise

Enjoi

this is my go to recipe also...almond milk the same body fortress chocolate pb you use and the frozen banana...also sometimes I add in some sugar free pudding. I have used the ready to eat cups and i have used the dry mix and added a little more milk. I have also added extra PB or PB2. The pudding and frozen banana make it just like a milk shake yuuuum :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I mix it with fruit and make a smoothie. One of your five a day and my protein shake in one go.

I use Whey to Go by Solgar.
  • npalacios78
    Options
    1 scoop Isopure vanilla
    2 spoons of oatmeal
    1/2 tbs of cinammon
    1/2 cup of blueberries.
    Water or almond milk............

Bam!

Another great option is pouring a scoop of protein to your pancake mix or with cookie mix.....................and you get a superb snack.