I fell off the wagon after being sick

Options
After I had my trip to Boston I became pretty sick for around a month and struggled to get back to working out, I've managed to get on the treadmill a few times, but it just never stuck. The only thing that did stuck was my eating habits, I have became better at eating less food and eating better foods which I think helped me in not gaining much weight.

Lately I feel as if I am going back to my old eating habits and I've noticed this in the last week or two and thought I really need to get back on my diet and exercise routine.

I'll admit it, I hate exercise and I did all the way through school, I even failed gym class a few times because I didn't want to do anything, and I didn't like the fact that I had to change clothes in front of people and I always figured out an excuse to get out of it. Looking back at it now, I made a huge mistake, I made my self look like a loser. I didn't know any better then, I was just a kid that was in trouble a lot in school. I regret everything that I've done in school that just made me look a fool. I really wished I showed them that I could of done those things If I wanted and I just never got over this.

I don't have a typical everyday job like you or others might have. I work for YouTube and that's my main source of income, I make a lot of videos and I get revenue from them. I went to school for training in the computer-technology field, but there just isn't many jobs around my area that needs someone like me and if there is, it goes fast.

So because I don't have a physical job that I can go to everyday, I work from home and I'm on the computer a lot because well, this is sort of my job, I write, I make videos, i'm into all the social media stuff. I just wish I could figure out a way to balance what I love to do with exercise, I just haven't figure out how to do it right, cause I always fail when I try and then I get discouraged.

I think losing weight will give me a huge boost of confidence in my life and what I do professionally. I want to be able to go shopping with my Mom and be able to try on clothes with out getting upset because they don't fit right. I want to be able to get off my blood pressure medication. I just want to be happy with my life and enjoy it.

Being overweight really put a burden on my confidence and I'm just not that happy anymore and its affecting my life, my job and my talents. So I'm asking if any of you could share some tips when I do lose my motivation and courage to help gain that motivation back and help keep me on the right path to my goals.

I know its a long post, but thanks for reading. It means a lot to me.

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Ok well now that you've got all that out of your system ... get back to it. You're not sick now, right?

If you hate the treadmill, do something different.

It's awesome that your eating habits have changed! Cause fact is, you can't out-train a bad diet. So stick to that, definitely. It's the biggest part of the battle!

Try finding types of exercises you actually enjoy. Bike riding, walking, etc for starters, or whatever, really. Try weights or body weight resistance/strength training. You're a dude, so get those muscles built, and you'll feel amazing and strong. Don't let the girls out-lift you!!! :bigsmile: Just keep trying different activities until something sticks, and then stick with that. There's gobs of stuff to choose from, so go for it!

I don't have a physical job either. I work from home in front of a computer. So? I'm a home body and so all my equipment is here, and this is where I work out. Know yourself and adjust your activities around that.

Who cares about high school? You're an adult. Make adult decisions for yourself and move forward instead of looking backwards all the time. Cut the juvenile umbilical cord to your teenage years and figure out what the adult in you wants to do.

Good luck! I'm here to back you up, so feel free to friend me. I'm just not very good at fuzzy motivational speeches, cause I can gt pretty blunt. If you're ok with that, add me. :smile:

Sickness is going to happen. Life is going to happen. There's never an ideal/perfect time. Just decisions. Every day. So make the best ones for yourself.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes find an exercise that you love to do. I used to dread going to the gym and doing the same old boring workout everyday, then I found a boxing fitness class. I absolutely love it. I look forward to going all three nights of the week.
  • hollimahoney
    Options
    Get an accountability partner/group and find some workout programs you like. I wouldn't have kept going without my fitness friends and my programs I love! Loving zumba, Turbo Fire, and P90x. Now I run outside and have a partner I meet a couple times a week. Some days, I wouldn't do it if I didn't have someone to meet. Good Luck and feel free to friend me to help with motivation.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you shared this here and I hope it's helped you to release some feelings. Being overweight causes all these pent up feelings and it helps to let it out. It's not too late for you to have the feeling of showing people that you are better than your past behavior. Change is hard. That's what you're dealing with now. You want to change but putting thoughts into action can be so challenging. Maybe it might help to think of it one day at a time. What can you do today? Go for a walk? Do a workout that you find online. Yeah, exercise sucks at first but we all have to accept that it's a part of the process. And you know what? After a while, you'll start to recognize that exercise makes you feel good. The hard part is making yourself get started. And also keep in mind that you don't have to kill yourself doing The Biggest Loser last chance workouts.

It sounds like you already know what has gotten you into a pattern of unhappiness. And you know what to do to get out of it. You can do it.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I work from home and could stay here, without leaving, quite happily for the rest of my life. Because of that, I belong to our Y. I schedule time to meet there for workouts with a couple of friends or my family. I even met a lady in the locker room who I met for again for the first time last night for a workout. It is nice to have a reason to have to go out every day.
  • therealnerwin
    Options
    I just wanted to let everyone know that today was my 3rd day on the treadmill and first couple times I only did 30 minutes, but today I did 40 minutes and felt proud that I worked out longer than I intended. I'm feeling great and the muscles in my legs have kind of settle now, so I think its going to become easier as the time goes on.

I'm starting to like how I feel after I work out, I just feel fantastic and I keep looking ahead to my goal and saying, I'm going to reach that goal and prove to everyone, I can do this, better yet, prove to my self that I can do it. It gave me a little confidence boost.

Thanks guys for all the replies! Means a lot to me to have this kind of support.
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think you have an advantage to working from home! You can easily hop on the treadmill (and 30 minutes is GREAT!), hop off and keep working :) I work in an office, on my butt for 8.5 hours a day. I make sure to get up early and get my work out in- at home. I do a lot of the Beachbody programs because they fit my lifestyle and needs. Exercise can be totally flexible- just find out what works for you (and you seem to know!).

I struggle with self image and motivation and such- check out my blog http://www.fitfiercemama.blogspot.com

Once the weight starts to come off you really will feel better about yourself- just be patient and persistent. You can do this!
  • Vanilla30
    Options
    I fell off when I went on Vacation for my birthday last November. Support and Motivation and my need to not have all this pain from my RA is really most of my motivation, I get sick and tired of being riddled with pain and the one thing I've found that helps is getting the weight off, eating better and looking at it as a lifestyle change. My weight is coming off very slowly because of my thyroid, but I'd take it regardless, I sleep better, I have more energy and although I don’t want my young 20's figure, the one that I’m starting to see impresses me so, we can motivate each other and see how far we can go...DONT GIVE UP!!!!