Do You Ever Gain Weight When You Weigh In?

Options

Replies

• hgrizzle
    Options
    Yep, I weigh myself everyday that I am in town (meaning only on my own bathroom scale). Some days it's down, some days up and some days the same. After 6 months of dieting if I look at a graph of my daily weight I count 12 increases of more than just a few tenths, but in the end the overall trend is down and that's what matters.

Keep in mind to that especially in the first few months a lot of the loss can be more in inches than weight. Take pictures of yourself every few weeks or months. Looking in the mirror I was blind to how much better I looked even after a few months and about 50lbs even though everyone else noticed until I compared now and then pictures of myself. If a little weight gain discourages me I just look at my pictures again and it helps remind me of how far I've come.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    "Always remember that weight loss, much like life, isn't a marathon. It's a dance. You just have to ensure that you're taking more steps forward than back." - Me
  • lanapoo
    Options
    Yep, it fluctuates a lot. Don't worry about it. This is partially why I do bi-weekly weigh ins so I can really see the difference. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's perfectly normal and to be expected. Weight loss is not linear. As long as the trend is downward, you're good. I tend to lose weight 2 weeks of the month (in larger chunks) and maintain or even gain the other 2 weeks. Overall, I am usually down 3 to 4 lbs. per month.

Here's my chart from the last 21 months:

i-bVqPDx5-M.jpg

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out how to display...awesome, thanks
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Of course! It's perfectly normal and to be expected. Weight loss is not linear. As long as the trend is downward, you're good. I tend to lose weight 2 weeks of the month (in larger chunks) and maintain or even gain the other 2 weeks. Overall, I am usually down 3 to 4 lbs. per month.

i-bVqPDx5-M.jpg

ok so where did you create this chart? Like the look of it!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've gained and logged it but only 4 lbs. No big deal. I really enjoyed the 2012 holidays and 4 lbs was worth it.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Try to weigh yourself at the same time each day. This makes a huge difference. I gain three lbs from morning to night. It then apparently becomes a gremlin at night and leaves my body before the next morning.

Also things like how much waste product you're holding makes a huge difference. A full bladder can add two lbs (trust me, I tested this).

Don't wear any clothes, or wear clothes, realizing that clothing adds at least two lbs.
  • Melaney1
    Melaney1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same problem. Thanks for your insight. I think I will try ding the same thing.
    Great idea!
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for all your comments.. I did take pics when I started, I also took my measurements. My bf has told me that he already can see a bit of a difference (even tho I cant at all) I am going to take pics and measurements every 2-4 weeks and going to record my weight every Friday...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

i-bVqPDx5-M.jpg

I have a free app on my phone that does this, but I can't figure out how to export it to a photo. The one I use is called simple weight. You could probably use an Excel worksheet as well and use the graph function.
  • tweety612013
    Options
    Not since I started this program, but a while back when I was doing another I would spike 1 or 2 pounds and then go back down.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness - yes! Down/up/down/up/up/down/up. That damn scales jumps all over the place even though I've been pretty consistent with my diet.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

i-bVqPDx5-M.jpg

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out how to display...awesome, thanks

Updated it today, just for this thread!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

i-bVqPDx5-M.jpg

I have a free app on my phone that does this, but I can't figure out how to export it to a photo. The one I use is called simple weight. You could probably use an Excel worksheet as well and use the graph function.

This is just in Excel chart.

For the app, on my phone (an iPhone) I can take a photo of the screen by pressing the power button and the home button at the same time. Then I can just send that JPG wherever I want.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    yep! Sometimes... but it's the big picture that counts. If I gave up the first time I saw that I "gained" weight on the scale... I'd still be 170+ pounds.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I definitely do sometimes! But I know the hard work I put in, that damn scale DOES NOT show my progress!!!!!!!!!! SCREW THE SCALE! Throw it away! Measuring your body fat percentage & taking your measurements is a much better way to show how much *kitten* you've been kicking!!!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    yep! Sometimes... but it's the big picture that counts. If I gave up the first time I saw that I "gained" weight on the scale... I'd still be 170+ pounds.
  • Teddy816
    Options
    I weigh every day 3 times in the am and then take the highest one and log it in. It helps keep me on track.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    All the time. I've gained 5lbs in a week before for no reason (it was gone the next week).
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have gained on a weigh in day and always log it to keep me honest. It's frustrating but it will eventually happen. I started this at the end of last May and hit a big plateau in the fall. It's very discouraging but what I told myself is that I'm doing the right things for my body so why should I change it? The loss will eventually happen. I've also learned to watch my sodium intake especially in the couple days before a weigh in. Your body I swear fights the weight loss thing or gets used to what you're doing.