Stress Weight

Options
Im a 40something woman : mom of teens w/ some medical problems, wife who is not too happy- to a husband w/ some 'issues', parent who feels all alone, homeschooling parent/ teacher/ principle , part time working woman, full time cleaner-cook-shopper- housekeeper, chief family medical officer, taxi service, etc , etc ..... Now, I am not complaining here. This is just life .... and just the glossed over highlights of it. But the bottom line is that stress affects every aspect of my life - weight, eating, and health being some of the biggest. I always say I am gonna take time for me .... this year, sometime soon, gotta take a class sometime, should try this, want to try yoga, Have to get away for a weekend ...... sometime.... but it rarely happens. Then you get sick and cant work out. Then you dont have the extra money for that class. Then you are too busy/ stressed to do anything positive and end up eating some crap you dont need in front of the tv late at night, alone. I have a good 10- 15 pounds to loose - but i also want to be more healthy and happy ... less stressed. I cant run away .... so i have to change my mind set and habits. What do other moms/ stressed people do to get happier/ healthier/ less stressed ??

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to make the time to do something for yourself...I know, I know, easier said than done! Try finding something that's free(my finances are very tight!), but I find going for a walk does wonders for me. Also, bubble baths. I'm fortunate to have a very supportive husband who makes sure I get that "me time"...I'm sorry if that's not your situation. :( Just don't make any excuses, and force yourself to take care of you, even if its only for a small amount of time each day! You can't properly take care of your family if you're unhappy and unhealthy.
    Hope things start going better!
  • cgirly
    cgirly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My job made me extremely stressed the last couple of years (stupidly long commute + too much responsibility) and I realised the only solution was to quit. I was extremely fortunate to find a freelance position working for an old colleague and now work from home.

I realise that this isn't a solution for most people, in my case it seemed like the only way out at the time and I have never regretted 'downsizing' even though financially I am more at risk.

Now I find the following things help me keep the stress at bay and stay sane;

-Walking somewhere 'green' (just started doing this straight after breakfast for half hours before work - I live in the city and its only a canal but it helps loads)
    -Getting out into the countryside at least once a month for a longer walk.
    -Endorphin release from cardio
    -Yoga / pilates is really good - give it a go!
    -Making sure I spend time with friends

I also made a decision to try and eat clean, based on a book I read : http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-De-Stress-Diet-Revolutionary-Lifestyle/dp/1848507798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360257543&sr=8-1

I really notice my sugar crashes if I eat refined sugars now

Hope this is useful. Please add me as a friend if you would like some support - I will do my best!