Slim Fast 3-2-1 plan.

Options
Does it work?
I recently purchased the drink mix for the "liquid meals" I'm wondering.. has anyone that has used slim fast products had any success? and if so could you share your story please? This is my first time using any SlimFast product so I'm curious if it's worth it.

Also all tips & advice about this topic are welcome!

-a

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's not worth it. First off, the shakes are expensive as are the boxes of bars for meals or snacks. Secondly, they lack proper nutrition.

Liquid diets aren't anything special. They help you lose weight because they lower your overall calories. You can do exactly the same thing with real food and with real food you will get better nutrients than a shake or bar at two meals a day.

The shakes and the bars lack the amounts of protein that you should be getting. A protien shake or bar would be much better and cheaper.

Don't fall for the hype. You will lose weight on it sure.. but what will you do when you stop drinking the shakes? You haven't learned proper portion control, cooking skills or anything about proper nutrition so most gain the weight right back when they stop drinking the shakes.

The only time I used those was I used to keep one of the ready made shakes in my purse. I only drank them when I was out and couldn't make it home and was hungry. It stopped me from must grabbing something when I was out.
  • AngieCarcel
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Sounds about right. I was thinking a lot of it was just hype.

& yeah I can see gaining the weight back after achieving weight loss with the liquid diet.
    The thing about me is, I eat like total *kitten* .. haha. (Take a look at some of my previous food diary entries if you want to see what I mean.)
    I'm at the point where I'm considering all sorts of crazy crash diets and cleanses just to lose that initial 10-15 lbs so I just figured this might be healthier than some alternatives since the shakes have at least *some* nutrients.

I really don't know.

I don't think I'm going to follow their 3-2-1 plan. It seems like an expensive pain in the A if I buy their products, and I don't really feel the need to snack between meals anyway a lot of the time.. I just eat crappy meals haha.

I think I'm just going to replace breakfast and lunch with the shakes for a week or two and see how that works out. If I can get anything out of it, it's better than what I've been doing :/
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really like the taste of the chocolate slim fast. I usually have them in my fridge for teh day (once every month or so) that I just ran out of time and I'll drink that. I have never actually tried to replace breakfast and lunch and do the plan though. It keeps me full long enough the times I do have to have them, but I don't think I could survive a day on nothing but 2 shakes and a couple of snack bars until dinner. Plus for the calorie content I could have SO much more in food.....It might be ok for the kick start you're looking for but while you're doing that I would look for a healthier and more maintainable alternative!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Sounds about right. I was thinking a lot of it was just hype.

& yeah I can see gaining the weight back after achieving weight loss with the liquid diet.
    The thing about me is, I eat like total *kitten* .. haha. (Take a look at some of my previous food diary entries if you want to see what I mean.)
    I'm at the point where I'm considering all sorts of crazy crash diets and cleanses just to lose that initial 10-15 lbs so I just figured this might be healthier than some alternatives since the shakes have at least *some* nutrients.

I really don't know.

I don't think I'm going to follow their 3-2-1 plan. It seems like an expensive pain in the A if I buy their products, and I don't really feel the need to snack between meals anyway a lot of the time.. I just eat crappy meals haha.

I think I'm just going to replace breakfast and lunch with the shakes for a week or two and see how that works out. If I can get anything out of it, it's better than what I've been doing :/

Here's the thing, if you eat like ****, that's what you need to work on. You will definitely lose weight consuming Slimfast if that's all you're consuming since you wll be creating a caloric deficit. There's nothing special about the shakes, you can do it with food, too. I thikn it's much more beneficial to focus on changing your eating habits so that you can lose the weight, get heathier and readjust your life to keep the weight off. With the shakes, you'll lose, you'll likely be hungry and cranky, and when you go back to eating, you won't have changed any habits, so you'll eat like **** again and gain everything back. Its a vicious cycle.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

I really don't know.

Here's the thing, if you eat like ****, that's what you need to work on. You will definitely lose weight consuming Slimfast if that's all you're consuming since you wll be creating a caloric deficit. There's nothing special about the shakes, you can do it with food, too. I thikn it's much more beneficial to focus on changing your eating habits so that you can lose the weight, get heathier and readjust your life to keep the weight off. With the shakes, you'll lose, you'll likely be hungry and cranky, and when you go back to eating, you won't have changed any habits, so you'll eat like **** again and gain everything back. Its a vicious cycle.

This as well.

OP, continue to eat like you do but lower the portions at first. Than make swaps of an unhealthy item to a healthy version. Make slow changes as to not overwhelm yourself.

Personally, I don't believe Slim Fast will help you in any way. You need to learn about nutrition and cooking. You can lose weight eating crap as long as you stay under cals. Of course you won't be the healthiest in the world but I don't find slim fast to be all that healthy. I only use it as an addition to my protein shakes (0.25 of a scoop of the generic slim fast) because it makes the protein powder I Have taste better... and I don't want to waste the protein powder.

The shakes do not have enough nutrients, protein, too much sugar, etc. Learn how to eat healthy and start by making small changes.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    It's not worth it. First off, the shakes are expensive as are the boxes of bars for meals or snacks. Secondly, they lack proper nutrition.
    The shakes do not have enough nutrients, protein, too much sugar, etc.

I get what you're saying about developing good eating habits - but they are not that expensive or lacking in nutrition.

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/shakes/High-Protein-Creamy-Chocolate.aspx

$3.33 for a 4 pack at Target.

9g fat
    20g protein
    4g carbs (2g fiber)
    Basically > 1/3 of most vitamins
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Nothing replaces learning to eat proper nutrition. That being said I tend to skip breakfast, and on those days a shake or quick meal bar are what I eat. I've never gone to the crazy extremes, but since I usually skip breakfast anyways I figured it couldn't hurt to have something quick and easy to help keep me full until lunch. If not I'm crazy hungry and ready to eat any crap.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know a few people who have tried it (I personally have not) and they have not seen much of a difference. I think that if you slowly start changing your eating lifestyle that you will see the difference that you are looking for in the slimfast stuff.
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options

I really don't know.

I've totally been there. The idea that you can "jump start" your weight loss or just lose 10-15lbs to feel good about yourself and continue to lose rarely works. I did slimfast years ago and lost a bit of weight, but I didn't change my eating habits and it all came back on when I couldn't afford the shakes anymore.

You don't have to give up junk food. Just eat less of it. Start replacing one unhealthy thing a week with something a little healthier and start building better habits.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    about 10 years ago I lost 20 lbs using Slim Fast shakes, bars & pasta...I gained back 35. I've since lost the 35 but it took a long time. There's just no replacement for eating right and exercising.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Jump starts, cleanses, crash diets may provide an initial drop but it won't be a healthy drop. Very low calorie diets burn muscle as well as fat. You'll end up losing more muscle than you would doing it more sensibly. So when you stop your low cal jumpstart you'll likely gain it all back as fast as you lost it and it will be fat that you gain back, not muscle.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I only suggest the shake and bars for someone who is just starting out and it not used to preparing breakfast or maybe used to skipping lunch. They can be a good way for you to get used to eating breakfast/lunch without making a big dent in your schedule. Lets face it, completely changing your diet and adding exercise to your schedule are pretty big changes as it is, so if you aren't used to having to schedule breakfast and/or lunch having to all of a sudden can put that much pressure on you and be yet one more 'excuse' as to why you didn't stick with it.

That being said, at some point you have to put down the crutches. :D
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Look at how much sugar is in it then put it back on the shelf! Sugar causes weight gain, not fat. Cut out processed food and eat until you are satiated.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sugar causes weight gain, not fat.

Excess calories cause weight gain.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    The shakes do not have enough nutrients, protein, too much sugar, etc.

I get what you're saying about developing good eating habits - but they are not that expensive or lacking in nutrition.

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/shakes/High-Protein-Creamy-Chocolate.aspx

$3.33 for a 4 pack at Target.

9g fat
    20g protein
    4g carbs (2g fiber)
    Basically > 1/3 of most vitamins

Those must be different ones than those available where I am. Where I am Slim Fast has no where near 20g of protein. They also have a regular price of $15 for a 6-8 pk.
    Look at how much sugar is in it then put it back on the shelf! Sugar causes weight gain, not fat. Cut out processed food and eat until you are satiated.

I agree with the processed foods comment (well partially, I would never say cut it out completely, just limit it).

Sugar causes weight gain? Seriously? Where did you hear this? Excess calories cause weight gain. Sugar, dietary fat, etc do not make you fat. Sure it's not the best for you to eat but excess calories is what makes you gain weight.
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    Those must be different ones than those available where I am. Where I am Slim Fast has no where near 20g of protein. They also have a regular price of $15 for a 6-8 pk.

Target is admittedly cheap for the "High Protein" ones (not with the diet stuff - but back with the protein drinks).

Amazon has it and the normal kind for $6/4 pack (better deals on larger packs) with free prime shipping. If you're in the US you should be able to get a 4-pack for $6 or less pretty much anywhere (Walmart had 6 packs for $5 the other day). If you're not in the continental US - I have no idea.

$2 for a "meal" still isn't too extravagant.

The regular kind isn't that bad either (unless you are on low carb).

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/shakes/Creamy-Milk-Chocolate.aspx

6g fat
    25g carbs (5 fiber)
    10g protein
  • AngieCarcel
    Options
    I paid $9.99 for a container of the chocolate drink powder that has 14 servings. I think thats a pretty good deal
  • JUDDDing
    Options
    I paid $9.99 for a container of the chocolate drink powder that has 14 servings. I think thats a pretty good deal

I wonder if that is good mixed with that coconut almond milk people keep talking about.

Like an Almond Joy drink. :)
  • AngieCarcel
    Options

I wonder if that is good mixed with that coconut almond milk people keep talking about.

Like an Almond Joy drink. :)

Probably! That's a pretty good idea actually! haha
  • CupCakeMonster87
    Options
    i did it and made myself quite ill doing it. unlessu dont really do much it ok. but if u r walking alot and on the move/shift work it crap!!! made me really ill felt sluggish and low in energy